Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,080
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (jludwig, Donatello, catscratch, DrLuke, esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk), 844 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
OP Offline
B
See how the LMBs respond to gizzard shad ... dropped some in and saw the LMBs beeline for them.

R
RER Offline
R
are you concerned about the gizzard shad becoming to big and abundant in your pond?

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: BobbyRice
are you concerned about the gizzard shad becoming to big and abundant in your pond?

I'm not concerned about these gizzards becoming too big or too abundant because;
- I stocked only 2 dozen with all but 2 being 6" and smaller
- The LMBs are large enough to eat all 2 dozen gizzards

True it is a risk because maybe the LMBs won't find the gizzards or the gizzards will super reproduce or something, but I think the gizzards if not gone already will be gone before Summer is up. The water clarity makes it difficult for their bright shiny scales to hide in our pond.

I dropped the gizzards in to give the bass a different type of meal - shape and taste.

We'll see what happens ... smile

R
RER Offline
R
you could do like I do with the mullet I add, cut the tail fins off to make them nearly wriggling target rather than an evasive one.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I don't know of any Northern ponds that have LMB enough to keep Gizzard Shad under control. All it takes is 2 to survive.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I'm interested in how this goes.... All I know is what you may think is a small change can end up having a big impact on your pond!! I found that out.... I hope it works out for ya I guess will see in a couple years.... I've heard ugly story after ugly story on them shad and how they got so big and took over it was crazy...

Now I heard Threadfin Shad are ok as they don't get quite as big as GS I guess? Good luck man.....

RC

P.S. I guess if all else fails you could always go Fly Rod fishing for GS!!! smile

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Correct but Threadfin Shad don't live year to year in the North.

That's what the problem is when people only list "USA" as their location. They can't receive correct information for their area as the correct recommendations will vary depending where in the "USA" they live.

A state is all that is really necessary, not an exact address.

Texas is so big, and so varied in climate/soil conditions that East Texas is different from West Texas, and North Texas could be different than the Galveston, Texas area.

Even in Northern States, there are differences. Here in Indiana, LMB are spawning down south, but it's still too cold up here in the North...

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: RC51
I'm interested in how this goes.... All I know is what you may think is a small change can end up having a big impact on your pond!! I found that out.... I hope it works out for ya I guess will see in a couple years.... I've heard ugly story after ugly story on them shad and how they got so big and took over it was crazy...

Now I heard Threadfin Shad are ok as they don't get quite as big as GS I guess? Good luck man.....

RC

P.S. I guess if all else fails you could always go Fly Rod fishing for GS!!! smile

Yeah we'll see the outcome in a couple of years. Obviously I couldn't know for certain, but everything considered I bet we'll not see schools of gizzards in a couple of years. Given our pond layout, clarity, and LMB population I feel pretty good that the gizzards won't last long enough to reproduce.

The main reason the gizzards were added were due to their larger size over threadfin, wanting the large LMB to have a meal that may promote further growth more so than the smaller forage.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Basslover, with your water clarity and lack of phytoplankton for gizzards to live on, I think you will be safe from an explosion of oily, nasty fish...lol

I doubt Threadfin would survive there either, unless getting LOTS of Ag Lime in the watershed and starting a bloom. Given the size and health of your fish, the almost perfect plant life and distribution that provides areas for the base of the food chain to grow in, I don't think I'd want a bloom starting in your pond, unless it was a very slight bloom.

B
OP Offline
B
Was on the dock and heard some movement across the pond down a ways in the leaf litter. Eventually found a little movement with the naked eye, enough to warrant walking around to see what I could see (knowing likely would be gone by the time I made it over there).

Found these two black racers doing the wild thing - yup mating season in full swing!

Also spotted this anole.

basslover, thank you for sharing so much. Your pictures, videos, and story have been very interesting and educational. I wish my ponds were as clear, I'd love to scuba dive in your pond and watch for fish.

T
TKD Offline
T
Awesome pond basslover. I really hope to have just a portion of the success that you have had. That type of success would be so gratifying and make it all so worth it. I am very envious of your pond as I bet most are. I started will a clean slate meaning I dug my 1 acre but have no trees, grass or anything else there besides the few things I have made artificially.

1 1/4 acre L shaped pond, 6 to 9 ft deep. Finished 7/7/16. Stocked with LMB, HBG, BG, CNBG, RES, FHM. Can't wait to fish it. GO SAINTS!!!
B
OP Offline
B
Our pond is about gin clear again. Level has come up almost to full pool. Did a short bit of fishing recently and landed this 4.11 lb bass.

Last edited by basslover; 03/28/17 12:36 PM.
B
OP Offline
B
Here are 2 perch we landed as well;

C
C
man oh man those are some purty YP!! Let us know when/where/depth and water temps when you see ribbons!

are you still seeing crayfish?

Last edited by canyoncreek; 03/28/17 02:36 PM.
What kind of Perch are those?

Nvm. Just looked them up.

Last edited by Mdodson461; 03/28/17 04:00 PM.

Go Hogs!
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
man oh man those are some purty YP!! Let us know when/where/depth and water temps when you see ribbons!

are you still seeing crayfish?

Crayfish are in the leaf litter still.

The yellow perch ribbons I haven't seen, but I didn't go looking for them, I just didn't see any in the obvious places in front of my face the couple of minutes I fished. Water temp was 59.5.

Cody Note: At a water temp of 59F most of the YP eggs have been laid and some probably hatched by now.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/29/17 08:29 AM.
B
OP Offline
B
Originally Posted By: Mdodson461
What kind of Perch are those?

Nvm. Just looked them up.

These perch are the RAINMAN PERCH variety.

Or Yellow Perch as commonly known.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
You're so blessed to have your water clarity and the near perfect plant life for those YO to survive all the monster predators that would love to munch on them!!!

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Donatello - 03/28/24 11:35 AM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images