Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
8 members (homewardbound, Justin W, Sunil, DenaTroyer, Freg, Donatello, jludwig, catscratch), 756 guests, and 207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18
Fingerling
Fingerling
Scott,

Not sure about pressure washer. No electricity near us when we were done. Tons of sand though.

Joshua

laugh
Good land management is an extended learning experience-Aldo Leopold
A couple of thoughts on Soilfloc I learned from use:

1) You can use a leaf blower to blow the "goo" back into the pond if the wind comes up and it drifts to shore - then hopefully it will sink before it blows back to shore.

2) The coarse grind recommended by Aquaben (after the regular failed to produce any noticeable results) was a disaster. I have posted 3 pictures below - the first shows what the product looks like when it fails to sink and is scooped up in a aquarium net - the second shows the product ( A and B mixed prior to application) still floating after 3 days - and the third is product being piled up on shore after being netted out of the pond (one of many piles) - this was after 5 days. 20 fish lost due to the application. And yes- I got a refund from them.

I wanted to add a little note here. TJ spent a lot of time with me on the phone discussing Soilfloc prior to my purchase - unfortunately when I was ready to order, he was out of town and I wanted to get it applied ASAP as my pond was dropping faster than the stock market during the last crash. So I ordered directly from Aquaben and worked with Sandra. This did not stop TJ from continuing to take time to advise me as I struggled to get some results with this product - including the "coarse grind" fiasco. Not many people would do that - so I just wanted to personally thank TJ for all of the help he gave me and for the time he is spending to work with other Pond Boss members.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Wayne, you're welcome, and I'm glad you saw some resolution eventually.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

C
C
It sounds like the course grind was a no go.

Thanks
Dave
1 acre pond.
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
In my experience [which is limited], yes, the course grind has been an issue. I no longer recommend it.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

A
A
Could you explain the failure of the regular grain? What size is your pond, how much water was it losing per week and much product did you use?

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I am not aware of any issues thus far using the normal, fine grind crosslink polymer blend, but am aware of 3 failed projects using the course grind. The course grind never wanted to sink, apparently, and as a result blew all over the pond and against the shoreline. While the leaks were not improved, at least the customers were taken care of by the manufacturer.

T
T
I recently treated my sediment pond with Soilfloc. This little pond would fill up really quick from a rain and then it would drop a foot in just a very short time, maybe 8 hrs or so. Tj set me up with an order and we discussed treatment. I added two to four oz's of sk A and then added the same of sk B. Threw out A and then threw out B. I did this by standing along the shore line and threw it out over the water along the shore. I used a med sized drinking cup that my drink came in from a local drive in restaurant. It was the waxy type cup. I cut out a portion of the cup to where it would act like a scoop. I cut the cup to hold 4 oz. The treatment worked and for the last week the little pond(30x30x8) is now holding water with little to no seepage.

TOO EASY

Thanks Tj, ck is in the mail smile

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Tracy, that's great. With so many "it depends" when dealing with ponds, it must be nice to have done something that just plan worked.

AL

T
T
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Tracy, that's great. With so many "it depends" when dealing with ponds, it must be nice to have done something that just plan worked.

Yes it is Al, it seems to have worked really well. The only problem I had was after the application, My footing was slippery to where my feet got wet as I slid into the pond. it just made it a little harder to do but again it was just Too Easy

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Tracy that's great news and I'm happy to have helped! When I first applied I had no clue how slippery hydrated polymer could become and almost knocked out my teeth on the gunwale of the boat. Even a little spilled polymer in the bottom of a leaky boat is a recipe for a hazard.

A
A
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I am not aware of any issues thus far using the normal, fine grind crosslink polymer blend, but am aware of 3 failed projects using the course grind. The course grind never wanted to sink, apparently, and as a result blew all over the pond and against the shoreline. While the leaks were not improved, at least the customers were taken care of by the manufacturer.

He stated the regular failed to produce any noticeable results. What was the reason for that outcome?

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I just caught that. He worked directly with Aquaben on the project so I don't know what he ordered, when, how much, how applied, etc. - only some general ideas. A PM to him would probably help fill in the gaps, though, unless Wayne pops back on and can walk us through the scenario.

L
L
It sounds to me like the coarse grain needs something like pre-added clay, dust, concrete, etc. into the material itself to make it more dense than water, and carry in permanent plugging substances. It likely gets air trapped in the grains and wont sink.

That stuff looks exactly like the material gardeners add to hanging flower arrangement soils to cut the amount of watering necessary. It is hard to make it sink.

What is cool is my son and I picked up a set of guns that use polymer balls a little larger than Airsoft pellets when "inflated" with water. They show up in little packets of 1000 balls about the size of a pin head. Let them soak in water, and they are about 1/4 inch in diameter. This is about 20x or more size increase! Boy are they fun to mess with! They are all over the sidewalk outside now. When it is dry out, you don't see the bullets since they shrink back down. Once it rains or have heavy dew, all of a sudden there are bullets everywhere!

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Good points, Squid - we've never tried another coarse grind experiment to determine if sodium bentonite would encourage it to sink and not drift. I am recommending bentonite application to all customers now just as added insurance, however, to put all the odds in our favor possible for successful treatment of seepage. So far, so good.

Archer82 -

To answer your questions: Pond is approximately .66 of an acre and is 11' deep in the deep end when full. It is a dug and dammed pond. The leak was occurring along a 200' section of one end of the pond. the higher the level in the pond - the more it leaked. Aquaben recommended treating that area - which was about 1/3 of the total pond surface area. I used one unit of A and one unit of B applied 1/2 unit at a time - 7 days apart. Before treating, I was advised to drag the bottom of the pond to stir up the mud before applying the Soilfloc so that it could carry the mud to the leak areas. Since there was a small amount of stringy weed on the bottom of the pond, I killed that first with Cutrine to make sure the weed would not inhibit the ability of the product to work. Was applied on a windless day with an aluminum boat and a small electric trolling motor working one end (50' wide) and working backwards till complete. You must do this when there is absolutely no wind.

When this showed no sign of slowing the leak, the coarse grind was recommended - and you can read in my earlier post what the result of that was. Hope this helps explain.

Last edited by Pond Star; 06/22/16 03:09 AM.

J
J
5 years later, a lot of money, and still leaks, I can post a few more pictures to show the history of this pond, we received 6 inches of rain just a few weeks ago and I've already lost 3 feet of it as of 6-30, this pond has frustrated me to no end.

Jimmy

Attached Images
IMG_2324.jpg
J
J
This was taken April 2009, we were putting down a 12" layer of good clay from a nearby clay pit, prior to this it leaked about 6" a day.

Attached Images
16.jpg
J
J
After we finished spreading the layer of clay, Bentonite was spread over the bottom and sides.

Attached Images
P1000492.JPG
J
J
Even with the clay layer and Bentonite, the pond leaked at least an inch a day maybe more, I ended up pushing the clay/Bentonite layer on the bottom all around the sides to expose the original bottom which was mostly sand, I did this after I took core samples and found clay 4 to six feet under the sand, for different reasons, I wasn't able to start removing the sand until recently, In this picture, I'm just getting started.

Attached Images
IMG_0992.jpg
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Jim, welcome to the forum. Get rid of the sand, excavate the clay and stockpile it.

Make the pond into the shape that you want, but make it 18"-24" bigger and deeper. Bring that clay back in, with proper moisture so you can roll it in your hands and make "pencils" or a hair wetter if it's really dry out.

Spread it out about 6"-8" deep. Run over it with a sheepsfoot roller until the roller starts to "walk out" on top of the clay. Repeat with another layer. Do that 3-4 times from bottom to past high water level in the pond and it should hold water like a bathtub with the drain closed (not open). Good clay, correct moisture for compaction and proper compaction are the keys to having a pond that holds water.

Layers thicker than that and the bottom of the layer won't compact, and the layers won't "knit" together. They will be like sheets of paper in a book. Tracked construction equipment is designed to lessen the psi on the ground, so the equipment doesn't sink. So, they are poor soil compactors. You could use a multi-tired pan scraper that is filled with dirt to get weight. Make many, many passes to compact ALL the clay. But, a sheepsfoot is what I'd use.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Polymer goes in dry form, unless someone literally jumps into the pond, I don't see how it could possibly get on one's clothes or tools...unless they tip the boat? I guess anything is possible, but figured I'd have made the mistake already if there was one to make. Historically that's how it tends to go.

I can't imagine applying Alum, Hydrated Lime, or soil floc without it getting all over me. Any breeze/dust, add sweat, and I'm a mess! Maybe you don't sweat enough when applying it, TJ laugh laugh

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've never seen TJ break a sweat!!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Going to try and spread out the two bags I have of soilfloc on Saturday. Need to buy a bunch of rope to set up the grids. Also need to get a few bags of bentonite to throw down also.
My pond was down over four feet when I was there last weekend. Still dropping. I marked the water lines at that level, and am planning on applying it from those lines, deeper.
We have had big rains yesterday and today, so I may be back up a foot or two, which might help with the hydraulic pressure to get the soilfloc in to the leaks. I've dove down to the bottom in most of the pond. Not finding much leaf debris, or FA. (Still 10' deep) so I'm hoping to get the soilfloc to where it needs to be.
I've got a leak somewhere, it's certainly not severe, but it concerns me non the less. I'd like a little bit more stable water line if possible.

Jeff

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Page 9 of 18 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images