Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,089
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
15 members (PRCS, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Augie, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1), 740 guests, and 295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Lovnlivin #445568 04/27/16 03:34 PM
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
The pack will circle a dog and they will grab and break a leg. Once that happens the dog is toast. Love to see donkeys pound the yotes into the ground.

Lovnlivin #445570 04/27/16 03:42 PM
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
I worry not about my German Shepherds. Its not just weight that determines the outcome. We have a lot of coyotes. Never had one challenge my GS dogs over the last 25 years.

Lovnlivin #445574 04/27/16 05:17 PM
T
T
Some coyote hunters use dogs as decoys. The dogs will go out and act as though they want to play with the coyotes, and then they come back to the hunter who is wainting in ambush, and whey the yote get in range, no more yote.

Lovnlivin #445576 04/27/16 05:58 PM
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
My pups don't need help.

RAH #445631 04/28/16 05:45 AM
T
T
Originally Posted By: RAH
80 fawns killed by one pair of coyotes to support a single litter deserves a little math. Over what period of time were they fed to how many pups? How many pounds of meat were consumed by this one family? Why did this clutch stay in just one den when most move around? I eliminate coyotes due to their numbers and adverse effects on deer, but 80 fawns by one pair and pups seems unbelievable.

RAH, I read the same article, I just can't remember where, but it was a true situation. And if the fawns are young they are not that large and might only feed one or two pups.
I wish I could remember where I read it or saw it. Maybe growing deer TV, QDMA?

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Lovnlivin #445632 04/28/16 05:53 AM
T
T
I shoot every time I get the opportunity when it comes to yotes. My problem that just came up this week is the one and only neighbor that I don't get see eye to eye with (due to him trespassing) has just showed up with a large dark colored German Sheppard. Now, he house is about a mile away from my farmhouse but his dog is not restricted. I hope I don't mistake him for a yote, because I have seen similar looking yotes here in E Texas. I need to talk to this neighbor.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
DonoBBD #445635 04/28/16 06:45 AM
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD

Not sure if you seen this one we found like this durring out deer hunt? Took three of us to let him out of the fence. IF you look close at the picture you can see the Y stick to the left going in for his neck. They have little power to open their jaw so once closed its easy to hold. JUST DON'T LET IT GO OR YOU WILL HAVE YOUR HANDS FULL. We don't take any yotes until there is allot of snow on the ground.

Cheers Don.

I've pulled a few bird dogs hung up on fences just like this. Scary times for sure. As soon as it happens, you can tell by the dog's screams. Haven't been bit by the dog yet, but close. They are in full panic mode.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Lovnlivin #445664 04/28/16 09:27 AM
W
W
I did some quick reading after this thread. I found one DNR study that found 40% fawn mortality from coyotes within the first day of birth! That is pretty crazy!

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Lovnlivin #445675 04/28/16 10:25 AM
Tracy,

Come see the new toys, they will assist you with your coyote problems. smile

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
highflyer #445676 04/28/16 10:40 AM
S
S
Guess I need to import some yotes. We are over run with deer. And if the coyotes get too thin we get over run with rabbits. Between deer and rabbits, a soybean crop can be destroyed in a timber enclosed bottom field.

I leave them alone (unless they look sick) and let nature set the balance. The rabbits and deer seem to follow a "rolling spawn" so to speak with one set of population numbers following the other.

Have one at the old pond helping me keep some goslings from claiming my ponds as home. Don't know where they and their parents are walking in from.

I find the coyotes preferable to the deer. Deer don't eat mice.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Turtlemtn #445690 04/28/16 12:20 PM
D
D
Originally Posted By: Turtlemtn
Some coyote hunters use dogs as decoys. The dogs will go out and act as though they want to play with the coyotes, and then they come back to the hunter who is wainting in ambush, and whey the yote get in range, no more yote.

Our hunting group us dogs to hunt the yotes. All the dog have a tracking collar. We follow the dogs with our truck and find where the yote crosses the road. We put a fresh dog out on the track after it crosses the road and pick up the dog that is in the rear or last. We rotate six dogs this way and the yote will just stop when beat tired of running. Our dogs will circle the yote with their asses to the yote. When the tracking collars stop crossing the road and the dogs chop turns to a long howl we walk in the country block. As soon as you pull the gun off your shoulder the dogs are ready to head to the truck.

We can get three to five a day on a good day with fresh snow. The deeper the snow the faster they wear down.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Lovnlivin #445724 04/28/16 06:14 PM
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
I don't kill anything I don't eat. I think killing predators is, TO ME, like killing big bluegills for eating bass fingerlings.

But, I have absolutely no problem with the yote hunters who disagree with me. If it's on the wrong side of the fence, it's your yote. On my side, it's mine. But, if they become a problem, I'll kill them.

I also don't kill rattlesnakes unless they are around the house, other structures, or ponds.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Lovnlivin #445725 04/28/16 06:26 PM
G
G
When it comes to safety while living in the countryside, myself and my dogs are far more concerned about people with guns than anything nature may throw at us.

If the story about 80 fawn being drug back to the same coyote den is true, I would guess that it was made possible because of a severe overpopulation of deer.

Nice pics, Keith.............. That's what I call, good shooting!

Lovnlivin #445726 04/28/16 06:29 PM
Dave,

I understand and respect your position. I look at it this way; man has upset the balance so we are charged with correcting the problems.

To me it is interesting to see John wanting more coyotes to control the deer and rabbits because he grows crops, but I want more deer and other game animals so I don't want the coyotes or hogs.

its all perspective.

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
Lovnlivin #445730 04/28/16 06:48 PM
I follow Dave's way of thinking. I will however harass GBH and cormorants around the pond with my 22 (which is perfectly legal as long as you don't try to kill them). They catch on very quick and pretty much leave our pond alone after a couple of encounters.

The only predator around my place that might need some controlling is the guy with the farm next to me. My neighbor said he told him he took 23 deer last season. When asked him how he could eat all that meat, he laughed and said he only takes the backstrap, the rest the backhoe eats....I still can't figure how one guy can have that many tags...

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
esshup #445733 04/28/16 06:55 PM
Originally Posted By: esshup
Sheep ranchers in Colorado are using Llamas for the same thing.

But, a Llama isn't any protection against Mountain Lions.....

We've used a guard llama before to protect our flock from wild dogs and coyotes to great effect. They will chase predators and kick them to death. I don't know how they'd fare against a mountain lion but predatory animals usually won't risk a broken bone for a meal.

More recently, we've swapped out the llama for an Anatolian. It would mean less hassle for us to take care of, but some of our new neighbors call the city animal cruelty hotline on the regular to say that somehow it's a crime to keep a working dog outside any more. The inspector always leaves shaking his head but we still have to suffer his visit.

Last edited by Bocomo; 04/29/16 12:02 AM.
Lovnlivin #445736 04/28/16 07:50 PM
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Ya know, if I raised chickens and a hawk was getting them, I wouldn't call the Feds and ask for help or a permit. Nor do I call the county Sheriff if neighbors dogs cause problems.

I have, until the last 2 years, raised wheat to help the deer get through the Winter and the droughts. And, I didn't hunt there. For the last 5 years of drought, we have been short on all wildlife and the food plots, I think, helped. These days, I don't see as many deer but neither do I hear a lot of song dogs.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
I don't kill anything I don't eat. I think killing predators is, TO ME, like killing big bluegills for eating bass fingerlings.

But, I have absolutely no problem with the yote hunters who disagree with me. If it's on the wrong side of the fence, it's your yote. On my side, it's mine. But, if they become a problem, I'll kill them.

I also don't kill rattlesnakes unless they are around the house, other structures, or ponds.

This is real close to my way of thinking also. I will still trap muskrats when they show up, however.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
sprkplug #445757 04/28/16 09:38 PM
Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

This is real close to my way of thinking also. I will still trap muskrats when they show up, however.

Of course it has to be said that when one has a pond full of HBG, the definition for what constitutes a pestilence is considerably restricted. I'm somewhat surprised that even muskrats make the list

Yolk Sac #445766 04/28/16 11:46 PM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Yolk Sac
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

Of course it has to be said that when one has a pond full of HBG, the definition for what constitutes a pestilence is considerably restricted. I'm somewhat surprised that even muskrats make the list

There's the cannonball sailing over your bow, Captain Tony. Gonna sit back now and enjoy the volley...

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lovnlivin #445772 04/29/16 05:03 AM
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
KA-BLOOEY!!!!

Lovnlivin #445774 04/29/16 06:12 AM
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
It is interesting to see different perspectives on coyote control. Some folks here express disdain for animals that eat their fish, even when some of these fish eaters are protected from harm by wildlife laws. On the other hand, some seem to think that controlling a pest species like coyotes that compete with hunters for deer is a different concept, even though wildlife laws in many places (like where I live) allow coyotes to be taken any time due to their pest status. While I have not targeted coyotes myself (although I have taken a few), I am seriously thinking about it due to their high population. While I would prefer to do this when the fur can be used, the glut of fur on the global market right now takes the incentive out of this (not worth the time to skin them).

Lovnlivin #445776 04/29/16 06:23 AM
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Yolk, you've given me food for thought. I don't suffer any muskrat issues in the HBG pond, and have just realized that the likely reason is due to predation by the hybrids. Whenever a rat wanders in, it is immediately set upon and devoured by the fish. This might also account for their tremendous growth.

I'm thinking in addition to Optimal, I may begin adding small, fur- bearing animals to the hybs diet. What's the squirrel population like down your way?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Lovnlivin #445801 04/29/16 08:49 AM
Tony,

You DO NOT want to pelletize Squirrels, It is way to messy. Mice on the other hand are doable. And with their high protein content, you might just be on to something.

Please update us on your efforts.

I figure with your hydraulic experience now, you might have a workable plan. It should be interesting to see what you come up with smile

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
fish n chips #445823 04/29/16 10:20 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: fish n chips
Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

I used to buy one but have better things to do with 100 dollars, and don't like to kill creatures that are just doing what they evolved to do. They were here before I put my pond in I and made it an attractive place to feed.

Cecil, I feel the same way as you, but when they start impacting my pocketbook, I have to take a different stance.

I lost a whole cage full of HSB last year to GBH predation, and that is with a "bird net" lid on it. This year the $100 spent was less than 10% of my fish loss last year. I am taking more steps to ensure that the fish cages are bird proof, but I also am looking at the $100 spent as an insurance policy. I have legal options now.

Regarding coyotes, a guy (I believe in Southern Indiana) put a trail cam on a coyote den. From the time the pups were weaned until they left the den Mom & Dad brought 80 fawns home for dinner......

How did the GBH get the fish? Did they land on the cage? Did they just kill the fish and not get them out?

They'd land on the cage, grab the fish thru the netting on the top and eat them. I never saw dead fish in the cage, and only 1-2 small tears in the netting, but the fish population inside was drastically reduced (and no holes in the sides/walls of the cage). I still had fish eating the floating food, but as time went on, if they could see my profile they wouldn't eat. If I walked away so they couldn't see me, they'd eat asap.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by Sunil - 03/28/24 03:32 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday