Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,782
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,505
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
10 members (Augie, Bill Cody, Groundhog7, Sunil, gehajake, CentexSaj, catscratch, wps456, teehjaeh57, Shorthose), 886 guests, and 239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#443305 04/09/16 11:18 AM
F
OP Offline
F
I would like to start off by saying I was given these ponds and did not initially put the fish in them.
I have three ponds
First- 2 acre pond tiny 6" crappie... Caught about 57 in 2 hours. It has a little vegetation but not a whole lot. I have fished it for about 3 years and nothing but crappie and the occasional bluegill. A neighbor said he put some catfish in it but I have not saw them.
Second- 1 acre pond... Nothing but crappie... literally nothing but crappie. Lots of weeds and vegetation and cover.
Third- Same situation as 2 a little smaller but the crappie are fat but not getting longer.
GOALS- I wan't to catch nice LMB. And also a far out there though would I would like to maybe try NP unless completely advised against. I realize maybe the NP pond and the LMB pond might not be able to be the same pond.
Any ideas or crazy things to try that maybe someone hasn't wanted to try throw them in
also I have had a one acre pond where I can catch some 6 lb. LMB that are about 15" i would like to get atleast one of these ponds to that mark.

Can you drain them and start over? As you've noticed, crappie are a big problem.

It would be faster and more effective to rent a trash pump, empty them, and spread hydrated lime (cheap) to kill them all off.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Agree. Time to start over.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Just crazy ideas... I'd put 3-4 pike or musky per acre in one and see what happens.

Along the same lines, stock 10-20 blue cats and let them diminish the crappie population.

Essentially I'd attempt making lemonade out of lemons in at least one of the ponds.

Last edited by NEDOC; 04/09/16 02:45 PM.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
Originally Posted By: NEDOC
Just crazy ideas... I'd put 3-4 pike or musky per acre in one and see what happens.

Along the same lines, stock 10-20 blue cats and let them diminish the crappie population.

Essentially I'd attempt making lemonade out of lemons in at least one of the ponds.

+1 I like this idea. I always thought it would be cool to have a pond with pike. It would be interesting to see how fast a few could clean up that 1 acre. I don't know how fast they grow so I can't recommend a stocking rate but I would stock heavy and make it a put and take activity. Once they pretty much eliminate everything in the pond, I would invite them up to the house for a fish fry! grin

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/09/16 04:03 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
NP are nummies grin

F
OP Offline
F
Could I drain with a portable sump pump? Is that possible... I have a lake we own with pike in it. How do I transport them it is over an hour away? Anything besides pike and pumping... any other crazy ideas... I might drain one. Pike one up... What should I try on the third one??? Open to anything. And with the draining they are cattle ponds not sure if the chemicals or powder would affect cattle? Anyone know about that?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B

Last edited by Bill Cody; 04/09/16 08:02 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
CJD Offline
C
Originally Posted By: FlyFisher11
Any ideas or crazy things to try that maybe someone hasn't wanted to try throw them in
also I have had a one acre pond where I can catch some 6 lb. LMB that are about 15" i would like to get atleast one of these ponds to that mark.

umm, what????? a 15" bass that weighed 6lbs? That is simply not possible even if Cecil was growing them...........that said, crappie are the devil......kill them all. I'm going through that now in my pond. The local yocals seemed to have bucket stocked my pond with crappie and now I need to drive around on my 4 wheeler with a shotgun to persuade them not to trespass.

A
A
Originally Posted By: NEDOC

Tiger musky. Quick growing, more tolerant of heat than NP. I don't think they reproduce, either, so don't stunt. TM did great in a 22 acre Ohio pond I used to fish.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

CJD #443359 04/09/16 08:49 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Biggest (relative weight wise) LMB in my pond has been a 18.5" 6 pound one.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Hi Flyfisher and welcome to the forum fellow Husker! Feel free to pm me if you'd like to chat I'm happy to help in any manner possible. Have some ideas for you and help many guys manage their fisheries in NE.

Tj

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
B
Are you located in an area where you could do something good with the crappie, in whole or in part? Soup kitchen, donation center, etc.? I don't know how small - can you get any meat from them? If so you could drain water down quite a bit, seine the crappie and donate them for a good cause. Even a fishing derby for kids?

Aside from a good cause donation / derby, if you have the ability do consider stocking a small pond with a predator that will enjoy dining on the stunted crappie, be it catfish, bass, musky or pike. Take a 1 acre stunted crappie pond and drop in 10 LMB and watch them GROW.

Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Hi Flyfisher and welcome to the forum fellow Husker! Feel free to pm me if you'd like to chat I'm happy to help in any manner possible. Have some ideas for you and help many guys manage their fisheries in NE.

Tj

Call this guy! TJ is a real Nebraska pond expert. Best thing you could do.

T
T
I'd go with NP in one pond, muskie in another, if they're legal in NE, and LMB in the third, probably the smaller pond. You could put CC in with any of those. Stock LMB that are large enough not to be eaten by the crappie. You could consider SMB and CP as an alternative to the LMB, or to either of the larger pike, but you probably can't get CP. SMB coexist in WI lakes with NP and muskies, but I don't just how compatible they are. Don't know about HSB or other predators. While I was waiting for the new additions to grow big and fat, I'd practice fly fishing on the little crappies. They'd be fun on a 3 wt rod.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
If you're not killing the ponds off completely I'd find a way to get those crappie to enter the food chain on the bottom end, rather than having them control the top end of the food chain like they are now. Stocking apex predators as described above isn't the only way to do that.

Welcome, Flyfisher11!

I feel your pain! My pond is two acres and I've culled over 3000 in 3 years. Cleaned them all, of all sizes and treated many friends and family to some good fish fry's!

Some days we could catch 100 or more! This tub I keep in the pond to collect the BCP and LMB I want out, then introduce them to the filet knife and frier!

Although there's still some Crappie in the pond, I believe my predators (LMB and HSB), many now at the 4-6 lb range are preventing or at least should control any "boom" spawn by the BCP should there be one. My biggest concern is the impact they can/will/do have on my YOY BG.

I continue to catch and remove them but it's not the BCP infested pond it used to be.

If I had my choice and it were my pond (I'm leasing), I would have started completely over to achieve a goal of what I wanted for the pond. Much easier, less stressful and more fun to manage that way!

BTW, I really like the idea of NP going to town on the Crappie! Talk about cleaning house! smile

PS - I agree on reaching out to TJ, he knows what he's doing and eager to help! And what part of Nebraska are you in?

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 04/10/16 09:49 AM.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Keith, what size are the crappie that you are catching now, compared to the size of the crappie that you were catching when you started?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Originally Posted By: esshup
Keith, what size are the crappie that you are catching now, compared to the size of the crappie that you were catching when you started?

Scott, when I first moved here in 2012 I was catching these, and an abundant amount of very stunted bass, none over 12":

And since the pond renovation in '12 -'13 of eliminating FA, CT and DW, they've all been around 6-8", and still are (and quite thin). Which is somewhat surprising as I would figure the remaining Crappie that are too big for the predators would be growing.

Not so much, apparently!

(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

B
B
My guess would be rotenone. It won't hurt cattle, gets rid of the problem fish, and will allow you to start restocking in a few weeks. Removing the dead fish will be a lot of work though.

Last edited by BrianL; 04/11/16 10:30 AM.

1.8 acre pond with CNBG, RES, HSB, and LMB
Trophy Hunter feeder.
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Thanks for the kind words, fellas!

Flyfisher - you can reach me at 402.730.4897 or tj@hudlandmgmt.com anytime you want to chat. Lots of options, can help walk you through them.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
Originally Posted By: esshup

Scott, when I first moved here in 2012 I was catching these, and an abundant amount of very stunted bass, none over 12":

And since the pond renovation in '12 -'13 of eliminating FA, CT and DW, they've all been around 6-8", and still are (and quite thin). Which is somewhat surprising as I would figure the remaining Crappie that are too big for the predators would be growing.

Not so much, apparently!

Damn nice Crappie! I would think back on conventional.

Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
Keith have you ever considered filleting those smaller crappie and start feeding your LMB from the dock? I have some first hand evidence your fish will grow very large very fast and feeding them is an absolute blast. Bruce and Yolk taught me the ropes - I now do this with BG fillets for my SMB and HSB. Call me for a crash course. Great way to re-purpose the bounty of your pond and you can shoot some really cool videos to share and I'll bet you could have some LMB shoot over 130 WR in no time.

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
What TJ said!!! It's time consuming but it's a project I'm attempting with carp removal in my pond.

That does sound like fun! As of late, catching them has been few and far between but I have no doubt there's still many in there. And as much as my LMB's are my babies and there are many laying-in-wait under the dock, ready to ambush the BG during feeding times, them Crappies sure are good eatin' grin , and have supplied many a good fish fry with family and friends. And I've gotten pretty good at filleting them at any size.

I caught this one on March 25th, close to my pond record at 4.97 pounds, and at 19" it comes in at 132% WR (although it may be pre-spawn). But to accelerate their growth even more, I'm all over that one!

With that being said and as NEDOC eluded to, I would love nothing more than to feed them the GC that I have a goal of removing this year, if I can catch them. I saw one 2 years ago that had to exceed 10-15 lbs and I stocked 8 of them in 2012. And with my pond now void of any vegetation, they have to be hungry!

So, TJ I may be calling you for that recipe/method if GC is a viable option to the BCP or LMB that I'm removing/cleaning/eating.

I would guess that a pretty big GC or two would offer a good supply of food for my LMB?

Thanks guys!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by CentexSaj - 04/18/24 03:32 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM
Chestnut other trees for wildlife
by Augie - 04/18/24 10:57 AM