Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls, Eugene
18,473 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,934
Posts557,698
Members18,474
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 449 guests, and 177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18
Fingerling
Fingerling
Your welcome. This week I will be writing up some tips that Dave, FireIsHot, and I came up with during the application. Hopefully it will make it smoother when anyone applies it on their pond.

laugh
Good land management is an extended learning experience-Aldo Leopold
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It looks like mine might have partially worked. I'm down about an inch or so during the past week. But, one wet spot behind the dam is now dry. That's on one side.

So, that means that we missed most of the leaky area. Gotta do some more figuring. I'm kinda interested in Fishing Pal saying that it took a couple of weeks. That gives me something to think about.

We only used about half of the product so I can do it again.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 04/11/16 04:05 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
C
C
Dave/Josh,
Watching your video I see that you had one person in the boat working the position of the boat. You used a stationary line that spanned the pond. It looked like as the person wanted to move the boat that person would tug on the stationary rope to pull the boat down the line and then would have to hang on to the line to keep the boat at that position. Then I imagine the shore crew would move the line over about 6' and then the process would start again?

That is a twist on how we did it. We had 2 ropes, one on front/one on the back of the boat and the shore crew moved the boat both forward and backward in the current lane of product being applied and then also moved the boat over to the next lane as needed. Our way requires more rope as each rope has to be the full width of the pond. Your way requires one rope, but requires a person in the boat to maneuver the boat.

I'd be curious how your method worked out for you?

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Good to hear a spot has dried out. IIRC you used only half of 1 unit, so you have more polymer on hand. Identifying origins of leaks is tricky, that's why Aquaben recommends treating ENTIRE ponds and not spot treatment. I prefer to start smaller and expand as necessary...significantly cheaper that way. Why blow thousands when a single unit might work? Have to at least try the cheapest route first, in my mind. Let me know how I can help, Dave. Here anytime.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
CC, using one rope worked great if you weren't the one pulling on the rope. We had the rope so tight that it was a hard pull for that kid. Later we loosened it a little bit which didn't have any negative effects re boat control but sure made it easier to pull.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
T
Dave, it sounds to me like the pond will do better now, in the drought years! 1" per week sounds good

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 04/12/16 07:05 AM. Reason: sp

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Fingerling
Fingerling
Here is some general tips we cam up with:

When pulling from the boat hook the lope thru a eyelet on the bow and aft of the boat or cable car method (pulley style).

All surfaces will get messy, so don't where designer jeans

Flag your area for reference in applying material and where you want to end up on each pass will be great assistance also. Tie rope(s) off to 4 wheelers etc.

Use a scale to weigh a solo cup of material and then put into scoop. Mark the area for future reference. That way we took the guessing game out of the equation. KISS method.

When wind is not a factor the scoop and shake method works pretty well, but be deliberate in spreading when wind is present-throw it at the water surface.

Have a great 3 buckets labeled (A,B, Bentonite)-sing a song while applying-keeps it all together.

Then have a guy or gal on shore yelling stroke when its time to pull the boat.

Dave if theres more chime in here.

Last edited by Joshua Flowers; 04/12/16 09:58 PM.

laugh
J
J
It's hard to wash off your hands, off of tools, out of buckets, and out of clothes. If you leave residue anywhere, and it dries, it will make a mess again when it is re-wet. If it wasn't messy, it would not work so well. Not a complaint.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
It looks like mine might have partially worked. I'm down about an inch or so during the past week. But, one wet spot behind the dam is now dry. That's on one side.

So, that means that we missed most of the leaky area. Gotta do some more figuring. I'm kinda interested in Fishing Pal saying that it took a couple of weeks. That gives me something to think about.

We only used about half of the product so I can do it again.

1" weekly - wow, hope that's good news for you. Congrats Dave, certainly sounds manageable, but hoping you can find and treat the source of the additional leak. I'm glad for the partial resolution, considering you used only 1/2 unit of polymer I'm relieved with the results. I hope you are, too. Let me know how I can help.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I have photo's of when the dam was built. It is no more than a stopped up gully(called a draw in Texas). So, I can guesstimate the area that isn't natural ground. What I wonder about is how much sand has washed in to cover that area. Can that be a factor? Don't know.

I'll give it another week or so and then assemble the teens to hit it again.

Wishing I hadn't sold my diving gear about 30 years ago.

Fingerling
Fingerling
All the stuff that got the slicked up was covered in dirt/sand to become a crust which we could later scrap off and make clean.

laugh
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Would a power washer work??

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
I left my ropes and oars on shore, in a couple weeks it had all dried up and flaked off. No big deal. I don't know how someone would get the hydrated polymer on one's clothing or on tools, but again imagine it would dry up and flake off like it did on my oars and ropes. Remember, the polymer is designed to be applied to the pond, not the applicator.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
I left my ropes and oars on shore, in a couple weeks it had all dried up and flaked off. No big deal. I don't know how someone would get the hydrated polymer on one's clothing or on tools, but again imagine it would dry up and flake off like it did on my oars and ropes. Remember, the polymer is designed to be applied to the pond, not the applicator.

If applying dye has any similarities, I don't know if I could lay outside long enough for it to dry up and flake off.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
B
Originally Posted By: esshup
If applying dye has any similarities, I don't know if I could lay outside long enough for it to dry up and flake off.....

For some reason a mental image of a speedo and Bob-O popped into my head. Shutter, my day is ruined! grin

Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57

Sure you could Scott. Just make a road trip down here in August to do it. I bet you dry up PDQ.

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Maybe not if you haven't found that voodoo doll yet! laugh

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Polymer goes in dry form, unless someone literally jumps into the pond, I don't see how it could possibly get on one's clothes or tools...unless they tip the boat? I guess anything is possible, but figured I'd have made the mistake already if there was one to make. Historically that's how it tends to go.

J
J
I guess I am sloppy. Wore rubber gloves and rubber boots, but got it on my boots and gloves, and from there on my sleeves. When you get a little on the bank at the waterline, you tend to slide into the pond. It came out in the wash, but stopped up the sewer in the process. NOT!

B
B
Just saying...

Last edited by Boburk; 04/14/16 07:23 PM.
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Thanks for setting the bar guys! Finally it's not me. grin

Y
Y
In my pond I have a leak from the pond to the creek blue line in photo. I believe the leak was caused by some mulberry tree roots that were growing along the creek bank. Mull berrys have been taken care of. Would the Soilfloc work in this case.

A
A
How many units does it take to treat a 1 acre pond? I thought about treating mine when the pond is half full thus only needing 1/2 the material. If the water level doesn't stabilize till the pond is around 1/4 full then why treat the entire pond? I've read this is an all or nothing treatment for best results but that doesn't make sense to apply over the whole basin if the leak is in the bottom half.

Last edited by Archer82; 04/21/16 09:53 AM.
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Yak n Bass
In my pond I have a leak from the pond to the creek blue line in photo. I believe the leak was caused by some mulberry tree roots that were growing along the creek bank. Mull berrys have been taken care of. Would the Soilfloc work in this case.

Hi Yak

If trees have been removed, yes Soilfloc can be applied to seal the fissures created by the roots. I'll send a PM.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Archer82
How many units does it take to treat a 1 acre pond? I thought about treating mine when the pond is half full thus only needing 1/2 the material. If the water level doesn't stabilize till the pond is around 1/4 full then why treat the entire pond? I've read this is an all or nothing treatment for best results but that doesn't make sense to apply over the whole basin if the leak is in the bottom half.

Hi Archer

Depending on the rate of leak, it varies from 11-13 units. I'll send a PM and we can connect and discuss.

Page 8 of 18 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Boondoggle - 04/15/24 10:04 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:48 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed
by FishinRod - 04/15/24 03:08 PM
Bream Freshly Hatched??
by Snipe - 04/15/24 01:41 PM
What type of babies are these?
by ewest - 04/15/24 01:31 PM
What did you do at your pond today?