Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Kendal, BoomerTC35D, cjschuhmann, Teroni, EGS
18,531 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics41,015
Posts558,528
Members18,531
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,606
ewest 21,513
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,160
Who's Online Now
1 members (Boondoggle), 276 guests, and 405 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Is one of these two fish better than the other or is the coppernose bluegill just a bluegill with a coppernose? Which one would you put in your pond?

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
It's my understanding that the CNBG will grow larger than native BG. The CNBG can't withstand the cooler temps and may not survive the farther north you go. I stocked both varieties.

Lunker
Lunker
Coppernose were originally native to peninsular Florida. Very early in there pond management use, some were transplanted to hatchery(s) in Arkansas, so now there are "Florida" and "Arkansas" strains of CNBG. What Florida LMB are to Northern LMB, CNBG are to our Northern BG.

CNBG won't live this far North (the dividing line is in TN or KY, IIRC), so it's regular old BG for me.

If I was far South enough, I would stock both. If possible, I'd keep at least one pond pure blood of each kind, and mix them in the others. It would be interesting to have the climate to personally check out the claims of CNBG superiority - larger size, good fecundity, no halitosis. They're very attractive, too.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Theo "They're very attractive, too.". You must have visited the south, b/c you knew that we grow the females pretty down here, hey wait a min the pretty CNBG are males.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
Lunker
Lunker
Greg, do all CNBG females have two first names, i.e. Betty Sue and Wanda Mae?

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
We will have to ask Mudcat Joe that question.

But I do know that just like their northern cousins when spring and summer get here all the females go from bed to bed seeking male companionship. \:D

E
Lunker
Lunker
E
James...see what you started ! The facinating CNBG has the good guys really confused. Theo is focused on their beauty...then Greg on the attractive males !! Theo, wants them nicknamed Ginger-Maryann, and Greg's probably hoping to shock a few pretty ones on his next survey \:D

I'm thinking you're better off not stocking them, you may wind up with a divorce !

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Good stuff. Eastland you got me. Theo not sure on the female names. Once shocked a pretty purple male named Bubba (but pronounced with a strong lisp and high pitch).

Your right they might get divorced there come first good cold snap. James if the hatchery close to you raises CNBG then go with them or a combination of both.

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
I'm glad someone brought up CNBG, because I'll be stocking soon. I have been considering them.

Are CNBG perceived as more agressive biters than BG?

Do they stop biting earlier in the fall and start biting later in the spring than BG?

Is growth rate any better than BG?

Do they survive stress from warm water, low DO, or drought any better than BG?

What are CNBGxBG crosses like?

Many thanks,,,

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I once asked Lusk why he preferred CNBG. He said that they grow larger than BG.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Guys you are out in front of the scientists on these questions. There is not much written on CNBG other than opinions. There is one study from Texas on CNBG but I have not been able to get a copy so far. I will check a little to see what is out there.

CNBG have a little better growth in warm areas , similar growth in mixed water areas and much less growth than BG in colder water areas. My WAG , based on others opinions and reference to Fla/Noth LMB research is that you draw 2 lines the first is about along I-20 and the second about the north line of Ark. extended. Below the first line CNBG as a whole will grow better (and more so the farther south you go) , between the 1st and 2nd line they will be equal and above the 2nd line BG will do better (and more so the farther north you get. This does not mean there will not be exceptions based on an individual fish's genetics or adaptation to the area. Elevation may also make a difference . A CNBG in the Ark. delta may grow better than one in the highlands around Knoxville TN. They are about the same latitude but there is a fair difference in elevation so a little colder. Is it a measurable difference -- who knows - this is a S-WAG to start with.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Thanks ewest. Until the scientific studies are in, opinions and impressions from Pond Bosses will be fine. I fished in a pond and a lake stocked with CNBG. I don't remember the ones in the pond (I was mostly bass fishing), but the ones in the lake were fierce biters. They were a little small and pretty skinny. I think that was because the lake was gin clear.

Lunker
Lunker
 Quote:
Originally posted by bobad:
I'm glad someone brought up CNBG, because I'll be stocking soon. I have been considering them.

Are CNBG perceived as more agressive biters than BG?

Do they stop biting earlier in the fall and start biting later in the spring than BG?

Is growth rate any better than BG?

Do they survive stress from warm water, low DO, or drought any better than BG?

What are CNBGxBG crosses like?

Many thanks,,,
Those questions are all reasons I wish I could mess around with CNBG. That, and the good looks.

-S. M. Stirling
J
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
J
Theo, is Bruce Condello only growing the bluegill? Because I would love to have some of his huge fish. I do think however I want to try and get some of Todd Overton's coppernose bluegill this year.

Lunker
Lunker
Bruce sells fish that don't quite get the Condello seal of approval (I'd take his second place BG, how about you?) but IIRC he is geographically limited in distribution - not close enough for you and me.

Stock a Coppernose for me, will you, James?

-S. M. Stirling
B
Lunker
Lunker
B
Greg Grimes,I vaguely remember a post from you a year or two ago,where you stocked CNBG in a client's pond here in No.Ky? If i'm right,have you had any feedback on how well they did? I thought like Theo, that we were too far north.

G
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
G
Fairly good memory. I have not spoke with him since. However actually he had already stocked CNBG from American Sportfish. We were hired to shock and report results. He lost no F1 (Tiger)bass, nor RES, but all CNBG were gone from the lake and had done quite well in growth the 18 months prior to the really cold winter. He was outside Lexington, KY.

So we helped him find a local source, seems like Cinn, OH for native BG. They were really pricey to me but he got them. I do not know how things worked out but in that case CNBG were not the answer. I caution againist hard fact on only one example, BUT???

Greg Grimes
www.lakework.com
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I agree with Greg that one example does not a rule make but why take that risk? Even if the CNBG live , because they are out of their climate range they will not reach their genetic growth potential. The result of a one species die-off or poor spawn because of reduced body condition and stress will make a major problem in the forage/predator balance in the pond. Even if say only 20% die you have a major problem and you may not know about that size a loss until an expensive re-stocking is required to try and fix it.

R
RER Offline
R
I always wondered if any one has raised CNG and BG side by side but separate in controlled conditions here in our warmer climate would the growth over time be similar.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Send me a PM email address and I will send you some info/studies.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Don Wallace, scott69
Recent Posts
Trapping the Crays
by Boondoggle - 05/16/24 11:22 PM
BG sex?
by Bill Cody - 05/16/24 08:50 PM
recommendations for northern YP/SMB/BT pond
by RAH - 05/16/24 05:58 PM
Spawn Identification
by Fishingadventure - 05/16/24 05:03 PM