Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
2 members (gehajake, catscratch), 938 guests, and 165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
Kris C5 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I have a pond a little over an acre and I was wondering if anyone on here knows how big an adult pumpkinseed will get? I have caught two in my pond that are just over ten inches and was wondering how much bigger they will get or are they about as big as they are gonna get. Thanks

Kris welcome to PBF!

I have PS in my pond. A 10 inch is awesome. They won't get much bigger than that! Got any pics you could post?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
A 10 inch pumpkinseed is a trophy!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
A 10" PS is a candidate for the wall in my opinion.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Kris C5
I have a pond a little over an acre and I was wondering if anyone on here knows how big an adult pumpkinseed will get? I have caught two in my pond that are just over ten inches and was wondering how much bigger they will get or are they about as big as they are gonna get. Thanks

Kris, welcome to the forum. If you catch another one that size, could you take a picture of it and post it? I've never seen one that big and would like to.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
A fishery full of 8-10" PS would be an incredible achievement for anyone on the forum. Please post photos!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
A 10" long pumpkinseed are trophy category fish and two of them from a pond causes me to wonder if the fish are truly pumpkinseeds or the measurement is an estimate? esshup and TJ have the right plan; it would be good to see a photo of it next to a ruler. Pumpkinseed at 10.5" is the Ohio state record caught in 2009. Since some members here are very interested in pumpkinseed sunfish it would be valuable to have documentation that they normally grow to 10".

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/27/16 11:44 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
K
Kris C5 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I have two pictures on my phone but I can't get them to load onto this site. I will try to email it to my work computer and get them posted on here for you guys to see. They are a beautiful fish and I wasn't sure how big they get because I haven't caught a bunch of them. I do catch 8 and 9 inch quite a bit and that is being measured not guessing. I'm taking my kids out tomorrow so I'll try and get some very recent pics to show everyone.

Lunker
Lunker
Hi Kris feel free to email them to me if you need help posting tj@hudlandmgmt.com

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
S
I snorkeled Hathaway's Pond on Cape Cod last summer(google it if you want to see info on the fresh water pond). I witnessed a number of PS on nests that were really nice sized. The pond also had some large LMB so I saw very few small PS. Mostly just the large breeding size, as I imagine the LMB kept the smaller forage cleaned out.

It is always dangerous trying to estimate size under water because it has a magnification factor. But my hand with fingers spread out wide measures 9" from tip of little finger to tip of thumb (so I have it readily available for comparison). And there were numerous males on beds that were that size range.

Last edited by snrub; 02/28/16 08:18 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
K
Kris C5 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks I am heading to church and will send you the pics this afternoon. I appreciate you posting them for me

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
KrisC5 are there any other sunfish or panfish type fish in this pond that compete with PS for food?
Are there numerous smaller PS in this pond?
What is the weed community like in this pond during summer?
Who are the fish predators to control the numbers?
Are the fish harvested from this pond?

I will link this thread to the Common Pond Q&A Archive topic Common Pond Fish Primer(Sunfish Edition) subtopic Pumpkinseed - PS.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/28/16 11:16 AM.

K
Kris C5 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Hey Bill, yes there are bluegill that compete for the food. The predators are largemouth bass and blue catfish. Weeds are not very many I have several piles of rock and concrete blocks and sets of the pvc fish attractors in several places. Pond is stair stepped up from deepest to shallowest. Fish are fed minnows, and wax worms all spring and summer every Saturday morning other than that they are on there own for forage so to speak. I'm emailing my pics to be posted hopefully later today. Just saw some pics of other pumpkinseeds that were beautiful and I'm sure that's what mine are.

K
Kris C5 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
I would also like to add I have no idea what I'm doing with my pond other than enjoying it!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The piles of rocks and blocks with the PVC allow for extra good habitat for snails which are one of the favorite foods of pumpkinseeds. Do you see very many snails in your pond?

For your LMbass, do you have numerous sizes or are they mostly sizes of 7"-14". Would you consider the bass density low-fewer, common, or abundant?

About the abundance of the PS? Are the BG and PS about equal density or is one a lot more common than the other specie??. When panfishing do you catch numerous smaller PS(4"-6")?. Or whenever you catch a PS, are they mostly large as in your pictures?

Did you add the PS or were they there when you got the pond?

Your blue catfish. Are they primarily a blue color phase channel catfish or are they true blue catfish that you bought somewhere? To my knowledge no one in the Midwest including Ohio sells blue catfish. Blue catfish are rare in most Ohio waters. Watch this video for separating blue and channel catfish(CC). Note large older CC are often dark with sometimes a blue hue and no spots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udYENQax_18

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/species-and-habitats/species-guide-index/fish/blue-catfish

The reason I ask all these questions is to help develop better management plans on the Forum for the members wanting pumpkinseed sunfish as the main or only panfish. Pumpkinseeds were thought to be a very good panfish rather than bluegill for smallmouth bass ponds in the northern states. Pumpkinseeds may also be a good fish to have with yellow perch.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/28/16 04:50 PM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I and probably many others here are excited to see this thread. Thank you Bill for askin important ?s and adding this to the FAQ archives. May just entice me to get the dirt guys back and dig a 2nd and 3rd pond.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
K
Kris C5 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Some of my bass are big and in high numbers and lots of 1 to 2 pounders also. There are lots of snails in my pond and the pumpkinseeds and bluegills are about the same in number from what I catch. I do catch quite a few smaller ps also. My kids dip around the pond with nets and catch several ps in the 2 to 3 inch range. I put the ps in my pond 4 years ago. I just emailed some pics to tj so hopefully they go thru and he can post them for you guys and hats off to him for doing that for me.

K
Kris C5 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Mine are the actual blue catfish, they are very dark in color and have a more big block head than channel catfish. I'll send tj a pic of them to post also

K
Kris C5 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Just watched your post on the difference between the catfish mine are definitely the blues.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Kris C5
Mine are the actual blue catfish, they are very dark in color and have a more big block head than channel catfish. I'll send tj a pic of them to post also

The only way to really tell is to count the anal rays. My adult CC in the pond don't have spots.

"Blue catfish differ from the very similar channel catfish by having a longer anal fin (30-36 rays compared to 24-30 on a channel catfish) with a straight bottom edge, as opposed to a rounded bottom edge. Also, blue catfish never have black spots on their body like those on young channel catfish."

I will upload a picture of a fresh dead CC from my pond that came to shore in late November.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
C5, do you have a record of what and how many of everything that was stocked. Ya say ya don't know what ya did except for havin fun. Well things seem to have gone very right for you.
This is gonna be a many paged thread. Nice first post!!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O.K. Here's a few pictures of a large freshly dead CC from my pond. 32" long, 22#, gape was (IIRC) 5"-6" across as it is in the pic. I estimate the CC in the prime of its life would have weighed around 30 pounds plus/minus a few.

I wear a size 11.5 shoe, and that's my shoe in the picture. Perspective distortion is the reason that it looks so small, but it's still a VERY wide headed catfish!

Take a hard look at the last picture. See how the anal fin is rounded on the bottom edge rather than a straight line? That and counting the rays in it will determine whether yours are Blue Cats or Channel Cats. If you notice, mine is very dark too, without spots, like yours.......

www.hoosierpondpros.com

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Scott, did ya happen ta measure and/or weigh it? I caught on last July that was 27&1/2" but didn't get a measurement. It was actually pink/peach. It was 7 yrs old. Cecil told me it is common for a CC to turn that color(P/P0 as they get older. Aqua life is sooo interesting.

K
Kris C5 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thanks esshup I'll check really closely. I actually have a dead catfish I saw today and I will get it out and take a pic for you. If tj will post it for me that way you guys can see it. ( fingers crossed)&#128513;

K
Kris C5 Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Lol. Thanks Bob-o. I honestly do the pond so me and my kids have a nice relaxing place to fish and have good family time. The nice fish that we get to catch are a big bonus. It's pretty neat watching how everything is turning out. I did buy a lot of my fish so I'll try and get you some numbers together

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 11:24 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...