About a year ago, discussions started about an annual Pond Boss/Willis Legacy Award. In June, the decision was made and a committee was formed, headed by TJ Hudson. Nominees were solicited in the announcement, several were accepted. Each candidate was evaluated and a choice was made. The committee recognizes the strong values and character of this First award winner.

Dave Willis was my best friend and truly exemplified everything we’d want to see in a man, a mentor, a teacher and one who contributes significantly in all our lives. Willis did that…and continues to do that today, through his legacy of students and pondmeisters all over. We expect our Award winners to be of similar strength, giving, teaching and helping people become better stewards of their land and water, while being the best stewards of their own property as well.

Our very first winner has been a forum member since April, 2002, when we launched the “new” version of the Pond Boss forum. He is member #24. I’ll always remember those days…I was the one who answered all the forum questions back then, usually after 10:00 at night. One day, this guy from Malinta, Ohio, started answering questions and I was deeply impressed with his knowledge, his compassion, his energy and enthusiasm. I was also thankful to see his words appear on that little pond management discussion forum.

He’s THE expert when it comes to northern fisheries, no one knows more than he does. He literally help people save significant dollars and time with his advice. He knows the micro-environment…since he spends much of his time looking through microscopes. But, he sees the big picture, too. Not only does he help newbies, he is a mentor to the pros.
No one comes close to his expertise, patience and tireless effort.

And, I’m proud to call him my friend, too.

The Pond Boss/Dave Willis Legacy Award Number 1 goes to: Bill Cody!

Bill will receive a nice plaque, duly deserved accolades and some goodies from some of the best Pond Boss vendors. He’s invited to come to Texas and spend time with Mike Otto and I, as well as a number of Pond Boss forum members for a reception and maybe even a fishing trip to a renowned private waters fishing destination nearby.

Congratulations to Bill!

Bob Lusk
Editor, Pond Boss magazine
Fisheries biologist

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...