Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER
18,503 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,996
Members18,504
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,539
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bigtrh24, Theo Gallus, FishinRod, teehjaeh57, catscratch), 1,375 guests, and 286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Tuna Torque

Tuna Tales

Tuna's Tub

Once we get it narrowed down, someone can probably photoshop some graphic layouts on a picture of the boat's transom so Fatih can see what it might look like.
Good idea. Can you show me some examples sir?

Guys, i changed my mind and i didn't buy that boat. Why? Because they said it was an unsteady boat. So i flew to Istanbul for a Boat Expo. I spent 2 days looking for boats with a cabin. I could find nothing good. All small boats with a cabin had very little space for fishing. Then i discovered this one.

It has plenttty of space for fishing and also a little sub-cabin that is enough for 1 person to take a nap, which i really need, because i will be fishing overnight sometimes. Scott and Keith know how much i sleep smile .

I need some help here now. 18' boat. 1350# without the outboard. I can afford a 70 HP Yamaha, but is it gonna be enough?

This boat costs 7 grand with lots of extras(no engine). How is the price do you think? I paid the half of it. Will be delivered next month.

The cabin...

Last edited by Fatih; 02/17/16 05:28 PM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Don't look like no fishin boat to me.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Maybe it's the Tim Taylor in me, but I would look on the mfg. data tag that should be attached to the boat and put the maximum sized motor on there that they recommend. Hey, you asked for an opinion, and that's mine. wink grin

You can always back off the throttle if you want to go slower, but if you need to go faster and the throttle is wide open your options are pretty limited..............

I would also carry a small tool kit on the boat, including tools to change the propeller, and a spare propeller, along with any nuts, washers or cotter pins needed to change it.

Plus the usual safety gear.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Nice little boat!

Spec say, applicable engines:
Long Shaft Outboard.
50 HP
75 HP
90 HP

Last edited by JKB; 02/18/16 08:58 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Then I'd go with the 90.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
FWIW I would think about how I was planning on using the boat. Large BOWs that you will need to travel long distances or smaller BOWs where you will be traveling much shorter distances. Mostly big BOWs, big motor. Mostly small BOWs, smaller motor. Will you want to do things like water ski? If yes, then big motor.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
P
P
A small engine will use more fuel than a larger one that doesn't have to work as hard to plane the hull. Get it up on plane then back off some for best fuel mileage

Nice looking boat, Fatih!

Great points by Scott, Bill and Pat (and JKB for the stats!)!

With 90hp being the max, I would definitely get the 90 hp. Not only for the reasons of a large BOW, but consider the extra weight of batteries, anchors, gear and people. Fully weighted down, the boat may not even get on plane with a smaller motor. It's a regret you don't want to have to live with on a new boat, and your first boat!

And as Scott said, make sure you have the tools necessary in an emergency. And most importantly, a good pair of pliers, side hook-cutters, antibiotic ointment, and bandaids!

In case this happens again:

(had to throw that in whistle )

And as Bill D mentioned, think hard on exactly how you plan to use the boat, now and in the future for when Tuna gets older. Also, will you be doing any trolling? If so consider a kicker motor (small 5-10 hp) for better speed control). And will you be using a trolling motor? If so, I would consider one with 80 lb thrust or more & 24v. Just like your big motor, you want the power when you need it! And it sucks if you need it and don't have it!

Also, read the boat manual carefully. Know your boat!

Read about your boating laws and read a book about boat safety or take a boat safety class! You'll discover important and maybe life saving things you wouldn't have thought of! And I know you know how to run a boat, but you're now the captain and responsible for your family, friends and other boaters!

Rock on, Captain Fatih and congrats on the new boat!

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 02/18/16 09:11 AM.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
LL - Nice to see you survived! Boy, I really felt bad after watching that video. Had I really known...

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Fatih sent me a text last night saying the boat could hold up to 150 hp and that he was looking at a 70 hp. Yamaha motor is the brand he can get there, he's concerned about fuel economy, and that he will also NOT be putting a kicker on it.

He was concerned about the bigger motor trolling too fast, I told him that there were a few options:
1) back troll
2) use an electric motor
3) throw 2 drift socks out, one on each side of the boat, tied to a cleat on the side of the boat.
4) I think I remember a plate that could be adjusted over the prop too.........

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
That info was from their website, but the motors did seem a bit small.

Trolling speed depends on what you are trolling for.

JKB, I kept telling myself they're just olives! (which didn't help much, lol)

Fatih, you'll do what you want but just be sure the motor is big enough, you will never regret it. Then as Scott mentioned, get a trolling plate for $100 to slow down your troll if necessary.

I have a 120 hp on my boat and it trolls slow enough on it's own, and when I'm trolling for HSB I'm trolling at 1.5 to 3.5 mph.

Regarding fuel economy, Pat's comment is spot on!

(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

D
D
Our 16 foot aluminum we run a 90hp merc with a high five stainless prop and it trolls well at idle. We can get 48mph out of her as well.

No kicker for trolling. I think you go to the 150's and up you might want a kicker.

The new merc supercharged motors are the way to go now. Incredible fuel economy but the 350hp is $68,000 canadian.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Thanks for your help, guys. Thanks Keith , for reminding that moment smile .

For those who want to see little part of that . Watch HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v33JJP1wvK0

Ok. I think i can go off my budget a bit and buy a 100 HP Yamaha(We don't have 90 HP here) .

But does larger engine increase or decrease consumption? Some say "larger engine, less consumption" but doesn't make sense. There must be a limit to that !

Putting a 300 Vmax won't consume less than a 70 HP , right?

Bono, for saltwater Yamaha should be better(what i read). I like Yamaha better.

Last edited by Fatih; 02/18/16 12:58 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Fatih
Thanks for your help, guys. Thanks Keith , for reminding that moment smile .

For those who want to see little part of that . Watch HD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v33JJP1wvK0

Ok. I think i can go off my budget a bit and buy a 100 HP Yamaha(We don't have 90 HP here) .

But does larger engine increase or decrease consumption? Some say "larger engine, less consumption" but doesn't make sense. There must be a limit to that !

Putting a 300 Vmax won't consume less than a 70 HP , right?

Bono, for saltwater Yamaha should be better(what i read). I like Yamaha better.

Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
A small engine will use more fuel than a larger one that doesn't have to work as hard to plane the hull. Get it up on plane then back off some for best fuel mileage

What Pat is saying is that you would most likely be running a smaller engine at wide open throttle more of the time, while a larger engine would not have to be run at wide open throttle to make the boat go as fast as the smaller engine.

If you have an instant miles per gallon readout on your car, look at it when the throttle is pressed all the way to the floor and when the throttle is only open half way. That's what the difference is.

Also, with a larger motor you might not even have to open up the throttle all the way to get the boat up on plane, where with a smaller engine you probably would.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Another suggestion would be a 4-stroke engine, and maybe all of them are now. Very quiet and no gas-oil mixture needed!

Oh, and thanks for the video flashback! That was awesome!

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 02/18/16 02:56 PM.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
You can ALWAYS throttle down for those times when less is enough....just sayin.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
D
D
I bet the European Yamaha's are 4-stroke, 16-valve engine with Double Overhead Camshaft (DOHC) for improved acceleration, advanced intake and exhaust system designs – and Yamaha's unique multi-point EFI. The F100 is the same block as the F80 but with 100hp not 80 so the motor is lighter with 20 extra HP.

The F100 has Variable trolling RPM as well. I would say great choice.

One thing if you can afford it is a stainless prop. Put the stock one under the dash in case you find a rock. The stainless will give you the punch out of the hole and tie the back of the boat to the water. When in ruff water the motor will be less likely to come out of the water.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Don is right about the stainless prop. UNLESS, you hit a big rock and tear up the motor because the prop won't give.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Keith and Fatih chose the jet drive boat because it was kinda cool, but Jim and I smoked them really bad, I mean really bad!!!

Originally Posted By: JKB
Keith and Fatih chose the jet drive boat because it was kinda cool, but Jim and I smoked them really bad, I mean really bad!!!
Nah, my choice was based more on the guide who was dressed as a guide, the other was in a T-shirt.

And we know how well that worked out for us smirk We couldn't buy a bite and you and Jim DID smoke us!

F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Guys, i will go with 100 HP , if i can afford. You know anything about immobilisers?

And of course, 4-stroke. You can't even buy a 2-stroke anymore.

I don't get the stainless prop thing. The engine comes with a 300 USD worth prop. Isn't it stainless steel?

Phil, i tried to not say a negative word about our guide, because i didn't want to upset you, but that guy was stupid. He was nice, trying to help bla bla but also just plain stupid. Do you know what i told him? I told him to go near your boat and ask what fly you were using, but that he wouldn't do it. I also told Keith to support me to tell him go by your boat and get some info on what fly you were using but Keith was little too nice to hurt our honey bunny guide's feelings.

We ended up catching less fish than those 100 year old fellas fishing from the banks.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Fatih, I wish I would have known that. Could have called me on the phone or something to see what's going on.

100HP should work pretty well for your boat.

As I remember, our guide just twisted those flies up the night before. It was actually something new he was trying, so that may have been the luck.

Last edited by JKB; 02/20/16 06:14 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Fatih, here the stainless steel props are not painted, while the aluminum ones are painted.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Fatih, an aluminum prop will bend or break. That usually keeps damage to the stuff inside the lower unit from occurring. OTOH, a steel prop can transfer damage to the running gear. And, aluminum props are cheap.

I have a friend with a boat repair shop and drop by often to give him a hand. I've seen several with internal damage due the steel prop transferring the shock.

BTW, my boat has a steel prop.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build