Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
1 members (Dave Davidson1), 755 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#437619 02/13/16 06:27 PM
M
MaxH Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I have a 350 gallon prefab garden pond. I am thinking of putting it into the yard and landscaping it. I would like to raise fatheads. We do alot of crappie fishing and minnows can be expensive. Plus we sauger fish the Ohio river in the winter and bait shops don't keep minnows in the winter. If I add filters and running water how many FH could it support?

Del

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/07/16 06:54 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
F
F
Lots of little guys. Left alone in horse water tires that's what I find. Selective harvest and feeding should help.

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
M
MaxH Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Anybody else with advice?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I had a SFS spawning device clogging up with FA last summer. I took it to the barn to clean but just dumped into a 55 gal rain barrel. Wasn't but about 4-5 days before I had babies swimming around. I fed em ground up Aquamax and they did well in the barrel and got a little over an inch. Then I put several yoy SMB and that ended the shiners. Give it a whirl.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
F
F
Definantly try it! You will get reproduction. Suplement your population with your own trapped minnows. A gallon of fatheads last a fisherman a long time.

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
M
MaxH Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks guys! Anybody know how much filtration I will need? The wife wont let it happen without looking good so I plan on a rock waterfall and some plants in it. Would carbon filters work well enough? I thought about cycling like an aquarium too to build bacteria. And I my brother has a PhD in genetics and his study organism is daphnia so I got ready access billions of them.

Del

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/07/16 06:54 PM.

[Linked Image]
M
MaxH Offline OP
OP Offline
M
OK, did some more research this weekend. Pond is actually closer to 250 gallons. I have been researching garden pond forums and they say 1/2 your total volume of water for your pump. So my pump should be 125 gph. Thinking I need to step up a little bit since I plan on a pretty large biomass (4-6 pounds of fatheads). Thinking of going with a 300 gph pump or so. I am going to run through 2-3 biofilters plus the plants. I hope this is enough to keep water quality. Anybody have experience in small ponds like this? Would love to pick your brain.

M
MaxH Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Well the project is getting ready to take off. After alot of research I have ordered the parts I will need to begin.

I bought a 1200 gph pump. The lift to the waterfall should only be 2-3 feet so expect 850ish gph out the waterfall. I also bought a premade waterfall that comes with biological filters (bacteria) and such. So I should be turning my 200 gallon pond over every 15 minutes roughly. Also found an online design for a settling tank next to waterfall (but also hidden by rocks) that should help with fish waste. Also planting alot of plants. 2-3 water lilies, hyacinth, and water lettuce. The hyacinth and water lettuce will have to be rebought every year (not planning on storing inside during winter) but they are cheap and supposed to be great filters for nitrates and nitrites. Water lilies will be planted in pea gravel instead of potting soil to get roots to have water flow. Water Lilies should provide good spawning structure for fatheads.

I am going to take it slow this year and add about 4-5 dozen FHM. I want to see how they spawn and if I can work my way up to 2-3 pounds being sustained. I might even add one BG to see how big I can grow it , should be a smorgasbord.

Gonna break ground this weekend if we don't get rained out. I'll try to post pics.

Last edited by MaxH; 03/09/16 05:29 PM.
Del

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/07/16 06:55 PM.

[Linked Image]
M
MaxH Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the advice. I am a little worried about coons but I live in the middle of town. My lot is only 1/2 acres. I am right on the Ohio River though so GBH might show up.

M
MaxH Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Got the pond dug and installed last weekend. I started spring break (teacher) today so I got the rock all done. I still have a ton of landscaping to do and add plants. Fish are probably 2-3 weeks out. I fill with city water so have ordered chlorine remover. It gets alot of direct sunlight so I'm worried about the temp of the water, but once plants grow the water will be totally covered in lilies and hyacinth. The goal is to keep 3 pounds of minnows next year, year round. Some pics of pond...

Attached Images
pond1.JPG pond2.JPG pond3.JPG pond4.JPG
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Looks good. Check with your water department and find out if they use chlorine or chloramine in the water.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
chloramine? what's that?

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
chloramine? what's that?

A replacement for chlorine...

Chloramine

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
MaxH Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Well pond has been running for a couple weeks. I treated water with a chloramine water treatment. I added bacteria and did a fishless cycle for 10 days. I added 2 dozen fatheads to test it out. I checked water everyday for pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate have tested zero every time. I was going to add more fish in a bit to build up the bacteria but I have had about 18 of the 24 minnows die. The water at my house has a high pH. It is 8.3. Could this be the cause of the fish death? Also, the minnows have been swimming crazy erratic circles on the surface before death and I read this could be pH. The healthy ones have been fed every day with goldfish flakes. Any suggestions? I don't have plants yet because we have still been getting frost and just waiting for weather to warm up a bit more.

Del

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/07/16 06:56 PM.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: MaxH
Well pond has been running for a couple weeks. I treated water with a chloramine water treatment. I added bacteria and did a fishless cycle for 10 days. I added 2 dozen fatheads to test it out. I checked water everyday for pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate have tested zero every time. I was going to add more fish in a bit to build up the bacteria but I have had about 18 of the 24 minnows die. The water at my house has a high pH. It is 8.3. Could this be the cause of the fish death? Also, the minnows have been swimming crazy erratic circles on the surface before death and I read this could be pH. The healthy ones have been fed every day with goldfish flakes. Any suggestions? I don't have plants yet because we have still been getting frost and just waiting for weather to warm up a bit more.

Are you sure your outdoor tank was actually cycled? Did you see a spike in nitrites and then a drop to zero of both ammonia and nitrites with a subsequent increase in nitrates? What did you use to feed your nitrifying bacteria?

Did you test for ammonia after adding the fish?

If your pond is outside in Indiana I question your pond was warm enough to cycle. And certainly not in 10 days.

If you got your promelus from a bait shop good luck with that. Rarely a biofilter or any mechanical filtration in a bait tank or the foggiest why they would need one. Add to that they aren't fed, have been poorly handled, injured and stressed, and they are a who's who list of parasites and pathogens.

Bait shops just want to get them out the door before they croak. It's nothing for them to scoop out dead ones on a daily basis.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/06/16 07:30 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That said your survivors will not have issues, and if you don't have too many, may cycle your tank for you as temps warm up.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 04/06/16 09:11 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

M
MaxH Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the responses guys.

Cecil, I did get the minnows from a bait shop but a family friend owns it. I got them within an hour of them being delivered but who knows how they were treated prior. For my fishless cycle I added my bateria and ammonia. Would bring ammonia to 3 ppm and then let it lower to about .2-.3 ppm. Did that cycle twice. I should have done two more but I added the 2 dozen minnows. I am sure it wasn't fully cycled but 24 FHM in almost 200 gallons I didn't think I'd have a problem and I never had a nitrite spike. I have a couple left. I am going to let it warm up a little more and then do another cycling and try again. Hoping these few minnows can help the cycle but I bet I need to add ammonia again. Thanks for the insight! WHere do you recommend picking up just 3-4 dozen FHM if not a bait shop? Would a pet store be a better option?

T
T
I put a lb of FHMs in a 95 gal stock tank last year and lost quite a few until I added some pond water and the water in the tank turned green. After that, I lost very few. I emptied the tank late last fall and started over again yesterday with a lb of FMHs, 25 RES, and 2 small CC (but not small enough).

The trucks that come around selling stocker fish generally sell FHMs.

Del

Last edited by Bill D.; 04/07/16 06:56 PM.

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Max,

See if there is a fish farm close by that sells by the pound.

The ones locally around here sell by the gallon, but I'll be passing by an advertiser here in a couple weeks that sells them by the pound. $6.35/lb and approx. 300 fish/lb. That's a whole lot cheaper than $3.00/dozen up here from a bait shop, and they would be fresh!

Besides, I would like to tour that fish farm.

M
MaxH Offline OP
OP Offline
M
There are fish farms that sell by the pound. My problem is that I only need 2-4 dozen to stock in tank. It's under 200 gallons between both ponds and I don't want to overstock without being fully cycled. I would rather do a couple dozen and let them spawn. This year is a test run for future years. We are also already planning an aquaponics bed to grow some herbs so we will see how this transitions in the future.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails