Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,783
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
9 members (Fishingadventure, DON, FishinRod, 4CornersPuddle, BackyardTrout, catscratch, Bill Cody, anthropic, Bigtrh24), 737 guests, and 195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
... warnings that it's in a critical state and infected with viruses. Please call xxx-xxx-xxxx to talk to a Microsoft Certified Technician to resolve the problem. Click!

Anyone getting these calls? Got two on my cell.

The caller ID # is actually Microsoft Tech Support, but they don't call you.

Got another call this morning on the land line that said someone has to be home tomorrow from noon to 5 pm to sign for some legal documents that were being hand delivered by a courier service and that the person answering the phone was being sued. In order to stop this, had to call another number.

My Dad keeps answering the damn phone every time it rings, so the freaks keep calling.

I don't know how many times I've told him that if you do not recognize the number, don't answer!!!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Phil, think I'll give yer dad a call.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My dad got a few of those and I got one via landline. He fell for It the second time and they really f'd up his computer. As you surmise it's a scam.

I told the guy my computer is an Apple and if he calls again I will bring in law enforcement.

Btw my dad also almost got scammed at a staples. Kid told him there were all kinds of viruses on his computer and there weren't.

My dad now has the newest Apple and has no issues. The wife keeps him out of trouble too as she's a whiz on computers.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/05/16 09:28 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
J
Every few months I get a call from a foreigner that says my computer is infected and if I don't believe it just give him excess to my computer and they will prove it. The caller doesn't even speak good english.

Of course what they are trying to do is add a virus and then for so much money they will fix it. My Dad always fell for the Readers Digest scam that you are a million air and we will be sending a limousine to your house. When he passed away he had a room filled with books from Readers Digest because he thought if he bought their crap they would consider him on the list to get a million dollars. I am his age now at 82 and if you are informed about life and the scumbags it is hard to be scammed.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
I always tell the callers that I haven't had any recent problems with my TRS-80, but that my Commodore 64 had been acting up, and can they send someone over to help?

That's when they hang up...

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
laugh

I tell others that I don't have a bank account or credit card and that's when they hang up.

Ton's of robocalls also going around right now. I read that phone lists are being sold, and the robocalls ring 3 or 4 times before hanging up. If you answer, the number is confirmed as active and the machine hangs up.

I use this site to check others caller hangups before I block them.
800notes

AL

Originally Posted By: Sunil
I always tell the callers that I haven't had any recent problems with my TRS-80, but that my Commodore 64 had been acting up, and can they send someone over to help?

That's when they hang up...

NICE!! Kickin it old school!! My first love was a Commodore VIC20, had a serial connected reel to reel tape drive. I was the coolest kid in town.

Ish.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Oh yes the Trash80's as we called them!! I also had the Com.64 with a cassette tape drive!! I was up town man! Those were the days!

I remember being in my Junior year of school thinking who in their right mind would take a class about stupid computers... How dumb is that... haha... Now I work in I.T. How ironic.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
J
J
I started with a Commodore 64. No hard drive. I wondered what was a hard drive? Was there a soft drive?

Back in college, they referred to the Commodore 64 as the "Commode Door 64". I was enrolled in this programming class and had to do a functional program for a grade. Half-way through the semester, I had to switch over to the IBM PC...ran out of memory on the C64 before the project was completed. There were about 30 ea. C64's in the computer lab and 3 ea. IBM PC's. There was a waiting list to get to use the PC's. Sometimes, I had to schedule my time at 10 or 11 p.m. just to get it done....

...when in doubt...set the hook...
B
B
Ah the Commodore 64, sweet, sweet memories. That 8-bit dream was my (families) first computer, I was just a wee lad. That big gorgeous hunk of a keyboard with the high capacity 5.25 floppies. Back when life's computers moved at snail speed, oh the memories.

D
D
Here in Canada we have do not call lists. Nation wide you can have your number placed on the list and it is against the law if they call it.

We would get all kinds of these calls until the fed passed this law. Best law in a long time.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
We have them too Don but they have all kinds of loopholes and expiration dates.

I understand Canada is very hard on scammers. I believe I heard a life sentence?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Don, we have those same lists, but they are not iron clad.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Been on the do not call list ever since it came out with my different numbers, and it works quite well for those who follow the law, but, you have crooks...

I did get a cable (internet service) phone number when I first moved to the apt in GH. It was cheap, basically free, but that damn thing would ring at all hours with trash calls.

Found out that if the phone is a cable phone, do not call list is not applicable. That phone was unplugged within a week! After a year, cable company wanted to renew it for a pile. No way!, then they almost doubled my monthly internet to just under $200.00/mo. I saw that and told them to turn it off!!!

I have a nice Motorola Cable Router for sale wink

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: JKB
Been on the do not call list ever since it came out with my different numbers, and it works quite well for those who follow the law, but, you have crooks...

I did get a cable (internet service) phone number when I first moved to the apt in GH. It was cheap, basically free, but that damn thing would ring at all hours with trash calls.

Found out that if the phone is a cable phone, do not call list is not applicable. That phone was unplugged within a week! After a year, cable company wanted to renew it for a pile. No way!, then they almost doubled my monthly internet to just under $200.00/mo. I saw that and told them to turn it off!!!

We have cable phone service, and are on the Do-Not-Call...also have 100mbps. What I like about Cable phone most is, no taxes. Our "bundled" service is a flat $60/mo with free calls anywhere in North America. I hated when ATT bought out DirecTV....a company with great service will go to crap now..

I am pretty sure the do not call list is a registered number...the provider doesn't matter

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Originally Posted By: JKB

We have cable phone service, and are on the Do-Not-Call...also have 100mbps. What I like about Cable phone most is, no taxes. Our "bundled" service is a flat $60/mo with free calls anywhere in North America. I hated when ATT bought out DirecTV....a company with great service will go to crap now..

I am pretty sure the do not call list is a registered number...the provider doesn't matter

They just said No-Go on cable.

All our numbers are on the Do Not Call list but the calls keep coming. I've been having a little fun with it. Once a live person gets on the phone on the other end, I just say, "I'm really interested, can you hang on a minute?" and then set the phone on the counter and go do something else. I figure they want to waste my time might as well waste some of theirs! Lately, I've been putting my phone on speaker and when they say, "Hello, Hello," I yell "hang on, just a minute!"

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/12/16 09:38 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
We have them too Don but they have all kinds of loopholes and expiration dates.

Originally Posted By: Sunil
Don, we have those same lists, but they are not iron clad.

Is there an echo in here? grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/12/16 09:53 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
All our numbers are on the Do Not Call list but the calls keep coming. I've been having a little fun with it. Once a live person gets on the phone on the other end, I just say, "I'm really interested, can you hang on a minute?" and then set the phone on the counter and go do something else. I figure they want to waste my time might as well waste some of theirs! Lately, I've been putting my phone on speaker and when they say, "Hello, Hello," I yell "hang on, just a minute!"

If It's a woman ask her, "What are you wearing?" When she asks why, respond with, "cause I'm naked." Guarantee she'll hang up!

I love caller I.D.! Unknown caller is never answered!

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/12/16 09:58 PM.

New plan for next time I get a call....Once I get a live person on the line...I say, "Hi, thank you for calling save a Tilapia. We appreciate your support. As I'm sure you know, thousands of Tilapia loose their lives every year in the US do to inadequate winter clothing. For just $19 per month you can provide a wet suit for a needy Tilapia...."

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/12/16 10:02 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
New plan for next time I get a call....Once I get a live person on the line...I say, "Hi, thank you for calling save a Tilapia. We appreciate your support. As I'm sure you know, thousands of Tilapia loose their lives every year in the US do to inadequate winter clothing. For just $19 per month you can provide a wet suit for a needy Tilapia...."

Bill, they are trying to scam you wink

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:23 PM
Pond needs help!