Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,783
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
6 members (Fishingadventure, catscratch, 4CornersPuddle, DON, FishinRod, BackyardTrout), 685 guests, and 201 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#434820 01/18/16 03:20 PM
M
OP Offline
M
I've searched and read all I can find on this subject but still not finding my answer. Was wanting to plant a screen of trees at the base of my dam. Really it's about 10 ft below the base of the dam and the dam is over 60 ft wide at the base. Thuja Giant is the tree I have read it's not evasive and no tap root. What do you all think. Wanting to block out neighbors.Dam is on the right side of pics.

Attached Images
2016-01-18 15.28.02.jpg
Last edited by Mobley HVAC; 01/18/16 03:39 PM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I would plant them away as far as possible from the toe of the dam. You'll probably have to plant 2 staggered rows.

Just remember, the faster growing the trees are, the weaker the wood is, so they will be susceptible to breaking branches and possibly the whole tree if there are ice storms.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the response,I belive I'm going to plant them in a few months.

M
OP Offline
M
I purchased 25 Thuja Green Giants today in pots about 5 ft tall going to plant next week I'll have pics. Also purchased a weeping willow for the firepit area any recommendations for how far away from the pond I should be?

I've heard good things about Thuja Giants.

Anybody know if they will grow in Zone 4 or 5?

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/11/16 07:45 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
I'd personally keep the Willow as far away from the pond as possible - I have to pull hundreds of willow saplings annually that sprout although a mature tree isn't visible anywhere on my or neighbors land. They are very invasive around pond margins with moist soil, mature trees drink a lot of water, and I've read their roots could cause issues with pond clay liner. They are beautiful trees, but just be aware of the issues they might cause and be prepared to manage for them.

Looking forward to your TGG photos, I've been considering them myself for a while now. Keep us in the loop please.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
My friend was all happy in June of 2014 when he told me that he had just purchased and planted 40 "of these new type of hybrid shrub that is gonna grow 5' a yr". I asked if they were Green giants and he being a college educated genius was stunned that this dumb ol fool had even had heard of them. I congratulated him and said I hoped for his sake that they did as well as advertised. Stopped by his place on my way to Fl in early Oct. In two summers they had grown about a foot. I'm not tryin ta be negative here. Fact is my DA friend didn't prep the soil at all. just dug small holes and stomped them down in. No mulch, no grass/weed removal around them, hasn't fed or watered them at all. My point is, just as if ya put some of Cecils prime YP in your pond, didn't aerate or feed , ya wouldn't get the results he does.
Bill, they are well suited for growing in 4+5. Deer like em, they are as Essup stated, prone to branch and even trunk damage during heavy snows and ice. They don't have extensive root systems.
I spent a good amount of money to plant some nice 40" Japanese Yews to find out after they died that they shouldn't be shipped bare root after they reach 34-36". I contacted the seller and he said "you must have screwed up cause I ship them all over the USA and you're the first to have had a problem". He was correct because I bought them from him. Also I often figure out what not to do after I've done it. The next yr I spent good money to put in many very nice White pines. That yr we had heavy snow that stayed for a long period of time. When I returned from Fl in April, I discovered that the deer figured they were for them to eat. Consequently they turned my 2' trees into 1' bushes. I read a whole bunch more about trees/shrubs and decided that altho Blue Spruce cost pretty much and grew fairly slow that I would go with them. I bought them from a reputable seller and got a one yr, no ?s asked guarantee. I prepared the soil, rid the area of pre-existing vegetation, staked them up, mulched them in, fed and water them on a weekly basis and still do. They have averaged about 12-16"s per yr. I did learn tho that even if the deer don't like to eat them the bucks sure like em to mark their territory. I've now got several that lack limbs for an area of about a foot.
In a different thread about Willows, DD1 testified that he killed one near his shore. Upon removing the root system, he discovered one root ran completely under his pond to sprout on the other side. I know many of you ? my sanity and knowledge (with good cause) but DD1 is a very intelligent, ligament and honest poster. DO NOT plant a Weeping Willow within 200' of your pond if even at all. I know they are beautiful trees but also kinda dirty, lots of falling small twigs. There are many other species just as nice. Dogwood, Magnolia, and Tulip all are beautiful trees.
Good luck and pamper your GG's.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
M
OP Offline
M
Well KY is almost in spring we planted 25 green giants 1 weeping willow and painted a few hundred feet of the fence the past few days. Hand dug 20 of the trees the mini excavator did the rest. Wife painted most of the fence.Also got our stock fish in from Arkansas pond stockers. 500 hybrid bluegill,200 shell cracker, 20lbs FHM, and 100 channel cats. Started with some pellets they seemed to resopnd. Thanks for the help.

Attached Images
IMG950606.jpg IMG955328.jpg IMG_4623.jpg IMG955608.jpg IMG950305.jpg

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:41 PM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:23 PM