Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Grit160, Falcons_King, Aakash, REDRIDER07, Sparkyyc
18,441 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,872
Posts556,785
Members18,441
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,365
ewest 21,463
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,097
Who's Online Now
6 members (Sunil, Blestfarmpond, Dave Davidson1, esshup, Tinylake, Falcons_King), 449 guests, and 158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Originally Posted By: JKB
Checked last night, well, very early this morning. Ammonia and Nitrite were both back down to Zero, and Nitrate was about 5ppm.

Seems like it should be good to go.

Added more ammonia last night to continue and a second check.

Now, to get busy and set everything up proper with the new tanks.

I'm talking to myself laugh wink

You can't feed those bugs store bought bottled ammonia forever man! smile What ya gonna put in those tanks!

You actually can.

YP were supposed to come from esshup, but need permits to cross into MI. No one open up here till this coming April.

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
You can't feed those bugs store bought bottled ammonia forever man! smile What ya gonna put in those tanks!

To answer your question further, one tank will be YP, and the other tank will be BG. Not HBG!

I do have two 12' Intex pools I bought a few months ago that I'll set up outside after this darn snow melts.

Maybe about 30 or so more trees to remove this year, then I'll dig a hole in the sand and lay down a liner for small pond #1. Just want to do a one piece liner tho, be it 50'x50' or 50'x100'. They have come down in price. To do water table here would be crazy. Hire a good dirt guy and truck in clay would be insane!

I like the plan. Especially the part with the dug mini ponds. I would love to have one or more of those.

Any plan for the 40 G aquariums?

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/11/16 07:13 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I like the plan. Especially the part with the dug mini ponds. I would love to have one or more of those.

Any plan for the 40 G aquariums?

Everything is in a plan right now, someplace crazy , but think I'll boot out the two 180G tanks, or use them for a dog bathtub.

I would like to get several different bait fish species for the 40G tanks. It's kinda like winter here tho.

I'll fill ya in later.

I'll be interested to see what baitfish you choose. I haven't found that many species suitable for our northern ponds that literature says can be propagated in aquariums. Please keep us informed.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Bill,

You need to go to the NANFA forum site. They have all kinds native minnow species in their tanks.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Bill,

You need to go to the NANFA forum site. They have all kinds native minnow species in their tanks.

Thanks Cecil. I've looked at that site some but I will look some more. For me, I 'm looking for minnows that are legal in Illinois, will spawn in an aquarium, will make good pond forage and will have an available source for startup stock.

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/13/16 08:43 AM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Same game plan on the bait fish. What's legal, available, not on the VHS list and will spawn in tanks.

One that I have been interested in is the Northern Redbelly Dace. Fits the above, and I think is really cool! I can get them from MI wholesale bait. They have a location not too far from me, but have to call ahead and make arraignments.

Another one that would be cool is the Creek Chub. I've seen a number of mini creek/stream rigs out there and have a 300G galvanized stock tank that's 3' wide x 8' long. Wouldn't be too difficult to make it into a continuous stream. That's a project I've had in the back of my bean for my brother, although, he is not aware of this task at the moment.

This is going to be fun! Only thing different between our goals, and maybe not, is I want minnows that will also have the potential to spawn in the pond. Will creek chubs spawn in a pond?

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Maybe with right conditions. They do need flowing water and gravel bed to spawn. A large bait producer out of Wisconsin say's they have methods underway for farm production, but currently their creek chubs are wild caught.

Nice thing about the creek chub is they are very hardy on a hook in all seasons. That is, if you can get them locally.

Back in the day, you could go to the bait shop to get a dozen minnows and walk out with 4-6 dozen. They were all wild caught and mixed, so you might get a lot of different species in one trip. They were fun to try identify, which I did get quite a few. Even had one that was on the threatened species list at the time.

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I am getting tired of dumping ammonia in this every day or so. I don't even measure anymore, just open the bottle and pour some in and call it good! Gone pretty soon, but Nitrite lags a few hours after.

Obviously, not scientific enough, but this is working quite well for what it is.

I am gaining a much more clear understanding of what the engineers were explaining to me.

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
That is the goal.

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Getting bored, I went to the bait shop and picked up some, well, bait!

Got some Emerald Shiners, Golden Shiners and some Suckers. Didn't ask which sucker, so I'll have to figure it out.

This is just temporary holding till I set up another tank tomorrow. Only had 5 morts with the EMS on the 37 mile trip, but 2 were already toast when I left the bait shop.

I know these don't fit with the above plan, but when you're bored... Besides, those Emeralds will grow pretty quick and be nice WE bait.

The guy gave me 6 scoops of EMS, (wanted 6 dozen) so there are quite a few. Only got 6 each of the others. Never had any luck with GSH, but these are quite a bit larger than before.

Off to Wally World for some stuff...

Cool! Is that one of your 40 g tanks? Is it hooked up to your RAS?

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
40G tank with a Bio-Wheel 350 on it.

Those Emeralds were hungry!

Tossed in a few Zeigler pellets and they were pushing them all over the tank. Really funny!

Then, went to WW and got some goldfish flakes and some sinking shrimp pellets for the suckers. Those Emeralds tore right into the flakes, and then hit the pellets on the bottom.

Suckers like it dark and like to hide so I'll have to toss something in for them.

Seems like the BW 350 is putting in enough current for the Emeralds. They are a schooling fish that likes current.

Don't know how the GSH will fare. A couple are pretty big tho.

Emeralds are used for YP bait up here. The suckers and GSH are used for Pike bait.

Any concerns about water quality with that many in a 40?

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Not really. I'll keep an eye on it tho, but have had 3X more than that in 11G totes with a BW 330 on it, and it worked just fine. Partial water changes every week because TDS goes crazy high after a while. I expect things to go wacky for a while till things stabilize tho.

Those appear to be juvenile white suckers. Wasn't sure at the time tho.

Last edited by JKB; 02/20/16 09:58 PM.
BTW I am no expert but, from the pic, the suckers look like whites to me with that mottled coloring.

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/20/16 09:16 PM.

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I'm sure they are.

Went downstairs to check on the new guests. Suckers seemed to be snoozing in the corners. Shined my flashlight on one. It looked at me with kinda that look like GO Away! It's dark down there.

I have another BW 350 cycled if need be.

One thing I was thinking is get some 3" PVC pipe with a 3" dia airstone under it. Drill a bunch of holes in it and toss some of the media in there. Stand it upright in the tank. Should work OK and be easy to clean when need be.

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I set up a 180G oval tank for the suckers and GSH. This was just to get them out of the 40G aquarium because they were too big to stay in there too long, and started to see some color on the ammonia chart.

Anyway, just gonna keep them in there for a while and do water changes. Went to Menards and got 4 bags of pea gravel, that was supposed to be washed... Not! Was going to line the bottom of the tank, but the darn sump pump in the basement took a crap, so washing them won't happen till I get a new one on the way home tomorrow.

They like the spacious new digs tho.

What's the plan for the 3 species of fish? Trying to get them to spawn, raise them for bait, just some fish to play around with in your new setup (like me with my RRs smile ) , etc?

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
What's the plan for the 3 species of fish? Trying to get them to spawn, raise them for bait, just some fish to play around with in your new setup (like me with my RRs smile ) , etc?

Just getting use to it again. Been a while.

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: JKB

Just getting use to it again. Been a while.

BTW, I hear snickers in the background wink

Ignore any snickers. That's what I do and then.....I take a big bite of an Almond Joy!

Update for me....I took my sis and bride to breakfast this morning. Place has an 8 foot bloody mary bar for 6 bucks! Awesome! Bought breakfast and my sis said she would pay the tip. I told her she could buy my fish on the way home. Stopped by the pet store and picked up 5 more RRs (guy gave me 2 extra so I got 7 smile ). Cost her 62 cents. Now I have 12 RRs....Is that a snicker I hear???? smile

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/21/16 08:37 PM.

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Ignore any snickers. That's what I do and then.....I take a big bite of an Almond Joy!

Update for me....I took my sis and bride to breakfast this morning. Place has an 8 foot bloody mary bar for 6 bucks! Awesome! Bought breakfast and my sis said she would pay the tip. I told her she could buy my fish on the way home. Stopped by the pet store and picked up 5 more RRs (guy gave me 2 extra so I got 7 smile ). Cost her 62 cents. Now I have 12 RRs....Is that a snicker I hear???? smile

Not at all Bill, I think it's way cool! 1RR at a time smile

The problem these days with baitfish is you don't really know the journey they took to get to you.

I suspect the Emeralds were wild caught in Lake Erie or Lake Huron. Big bait place down by Detroit that scoops them up and tosses them into holding tanks. Then, they get put on a truck destined for larger distributors, which in turn toss them into another holding tank for whatever time. Then, they get packed up on another truck for delivery to a retail outlet, like a bait shop. How long they are at the bait shop in yet another holding tank is determined by how many people buy them. From talking to people, they only get deliveries once a week, so these little fish are probably quite stressed.

Water quality in the Emerald tank is really good, but the smaller ones are loosing the battle. Plucked one out last night that had it's belly eaten out. Typical of larger Emeralds ganging up on the weak.

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
PasquotankPond
Recent Posts
Horizontal vs Vertical (big bass)?
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/19/24 05:26 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Boondoggle - 03/19/24 12:13 AM
Watershed or Groundwater Pond?
by FishinRod - 03/18/24 09:30 PM
Pond needs help!