Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,084
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Theo Gallus, BillyE, Requa, Jason D, Jared015), 756 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
D
If you have some of that lime still make a mud ball with it an put some litmus paper in the middle of the mud ball for a sec. It should be 7.2-7.5

Looks like good calcium carbonate to me.

It starts to go tan when there is potassium around. Potassium will oxides red.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: snrub
Originally Posted By: TGW1
snrub, it looked to me he was adding sand for a beach smile My agg lime did not have that sandy look, looked more like gray gravel lol Charlie u sure they did not bring u sand? smile Driver might have been new to the trade lol

Tracy

We get at least a couple different types of ag lime here. The fineness of grind determines how quickly it reacts to the acidic soil or water. So fine lime works quicker, but coarser stuff tends to last longer. Over a certain size particle, from what I'm told it becomes ineffective for neutralizing (at least in my lifetime).

We have regular ag lime that is specifically ground for ag lime from limestone rock. Then there is (or at least was, not sure if we can still get it) some that is a byproduct of mfg some other rock products and is actually the saw dust from cutting rock. It is very high ecc and is fast acting, but does not last as long. If you step into a truck load of it, be prepared to sink up above your waist. It is like talcum powder.

Point is, ag lime can look significantly different in different parts of the country.

What I like to do around the pond edges is use what is called in Kansas AB3. It has large rocks up to about 1" in diameter and everything fine below that. In other words everything that will pass through maybe a 1.5" screen after going through the grinder. It is used in driveways a lot because the fines will pack. I would guess it has about 20 percent ag lime, because to get ag lime along with other grades of rock they screen out the ag lime portion to get aggregate to make concrete, etc.

It is not what a person wants to use specifically to lime a pond, but I like to put a 3 or 4' band around the banks before the pond fills and some piles here and there for BG nests. The ag lime portion just helps our naturally acidic soils/waters.

snrub,
I appreciate all the info. There's obviously more to simple ag lime than meets the eye. I did as you did with the limestone skirt around my ponds perimeter about 15 mos. ago. The main benefit (as far as I could tell) was increasing water hardness from 20ppm to 40ppm. Other benefits included a temporary period of clear green water, but that was short lived with the incredible amount of rain we had this past spring. I will get my water re-tested soon and as Rex mentioned, deal with the clarity issue at that time.
Charlie

...when in doubt...set the hook...
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
If you have some of that lime still make a mud ball with it an put some litmus paper in the middle of the mud ball for a sec. It should be 7.2-7.5

Looks like good calcium carbonate to me.

It starts to go tan when there is potassium around. Potassium will oxides red.

Don...yes, I believe I do. Might be a fun learning experiment to try.

T
T
stickem, it was worth giving u a hard time, just to see the picture of the Babe that showed up at your place. Maybe we should give you a hard time more often smile Especially since Playboy no longer has centerfold pictures.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Try this next time. Not sure it will throw sand !!!!!!

For those who have not seen this - pics of lime truck at work.

P
P
That's how I got my lime also

OP Offline
stickem, it was worth giving u a hard time, just to see the picture of the Babe that showed up at your place. Maybe we should give you a hard time more often smile Especially since Playboy no longer has centerfold pictures.

Tracy

Tracy,
All in good fun....I expect no less from you rascals....I've got thick skin and a good strong back...what goes around, comes around. Lol. As for the wood nymph, I sent her packing north to Rainman's place...Rex indicated he could find some "use" for her around his place. Rex mentioned he might start selling sand and needed a sales person to promote his new product line.
Charlie

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Never seen a Playboy centerfold with that many cloths on !!!!!! Looks more like an SI swim suit edition pic .

Last edited by ewest; 02/07/16 09:42 AM.

C
CMM Offline
C
Ewest may be spending too much time reading magazines that are NOT Pond Boss laugh

Cmm

CMM

OP Offline
Well, I got the results from my latest water test from Todd Overton today from my recent liming.

pH 7.0
Alkalinity 64ppm
Hardness 60ppm

The liming appears to have helped considerably. Next, we work on getting the water cleared up (suspended clay).

T
T
Charlie, the pH, and alk is up. So now I'm waiting for your picture posting of the gypsum sales rep shows up at your place. I am sure Rainman has a better product but we have seen his picture, and I think a pic of him in a thong swim suit is a bad idea. frown Pat, what u think? And did anyone notice the tattoo on the wood nymph, I think it said Charlie or something smile

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 02/27/16 07:59 AM. Reason: add

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
P
P
Charlie, the pH, and alk is up. So now I'm waiting for your picture posting of the gypsum sales rep shows up at your place. I am sure Rainman has a better product but we have seen his picture, and I think a pic of him in a thong swim suit is a bad idea. frown Pat, what u think? And did anyone notice the tattoo on the wood nymph, I think it said Charlie or something smile

Tracy

I think it would scare that little thing plumb out of the country with any of our pix.

OP Offline

Tracy

Tracy.....I suggest an eye exam...

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Charlie, I was a bit offended ya sent her packin to Rex. Then I revisited the pic and the way she hiked her shoulder up I couldn't see if she even had an adams apple.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
D
D

Tracy

Gypsum is very high in Sulfur in ratio to Calcium I personally would not use that product in great amounts in a pond or land application no mater how cheep it is.

If your pond needs sulfur great but it is a micro nutrient.

This is the same reason I do not like dolomite lime. The ratio of magnesium to calcium is to high for adding tones with out having high magnesium.... unless you want higher magnesium then its perfect.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
OP Offline
Don,
I'm working with Todd Overton (Overton Fisheries) on the water clarity testing and issue. I trust that he will lead me in the right direction. I'm not sure of the sulfur content at my place, but will definitely check it out.
Thanks,
Charlie

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Charlie, I was a bit offended ya sent her packin to Rex. Then I revisited the pic and the way she hiked her shoulder up I couldn't see if she even had an adams apple.

Bob,
...Rex spoke up first, and you know how it is with wood nymph's...you snooze, you lose! You will have to confirm with Rex with regards to your concern. No anatomical or cavity searches were performed prior to her departure north...

Last edited by stickem'; 02/28/16 09:38 AM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
No sweat, got ta thinkin it over. Would have been more bummed if she and I had gotten friendly and she moaned out Oh Charlie, oh Charlie.

OP Offline
Yeah....ya gotta hate it when that happens...

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Happened more than once! Wasn't always Charlie but when it was, I attributed it to Charlie Sheen. I know... scarry as hell now.

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD

Tracy

Gypsum is very high in Sulfur in ratio to Calcium I personally would not use that product in great amounts in a pond or land application no mater how cheep it is.

If your pond needs sulfur great but it is a micro nutrient.

This is the same reason I do not like dolomite lime. The ratio of magnesium to calcium is to high for adding tones with out having high magnesium.... unless you want higher magnesium then its perfect.

Cheers Don.

Don,
What is the drawback from a high sulfur to calcium ratio? What problems does this bring about? Also, what is a unsafe level of sulfur in ppm with regards to the water quality?
Charlie

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday