Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,082
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, Jared015, Freg, Justin W, LeighAnn, Donatello, Theo Gallus, homewardbound, DenaTroyer), 786 guests, and 227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
OP Offline
C
Tbar, what is the return process? package in a box with original receipt and ship the whole hose back to the factory/manufacturer? Or return at the place you purchased it?

If returns were pretty painless (like Amazon returns where they come the next day and pick up the box for you) I might do as you suggest.

I agree the pocket hoses are light and easy to put away although the covers on them have lots of wrinkles....

D
D
Red lion pumps are terrible for warranty. They say 5 year even with box and original receipt they wouldn't do it.

The 5 year warranty sold me on the pumps.

I wish there was a life time warranty on my vodka bottle but that wont fly ether.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
T
T
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Tbar, what is the return process? package in a box with original receipt and ship the whole hose back to the factory/manufacturer? Or return at the place you purchased it?

If returns were pretty painless (like Amazon returns where they come the next day and pick up the box for you) I might do as you suggest.

I agree the pocket hoses are light and easy to put away although the covers on them have lots of wrinkles....

We buy ours at the local store.

https://bedbathandbeyond.com/m/s/Hose

When I return it I take to the counter and tell them it busted......they tell me to go get a replacement.....I walk out the door. No receipt, no credits/debits. In and out in under 1-2 minutes.

Your mileage may vary......

I have returned three so far. If I would take better care of them they might last longer.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Well after doing some research of reliable sources that did lab testing of hoses it looks like for fish I will be converting over to RV hoses or hoses that indicate they don't have lead. The amount of lead in some of the hoses out there is indeed quite high!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Texas has Bed, Bath, and Beyond?? After several years hearing about Texas here on the forum, I figured the Lonestar state for something more perceived as ......well, look-at-us, we're Texas?

"Bunk, Bushes, and Out Yonder", maybe. wink

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014

Fishing has never been about the fish....

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Returning stuff is a waste of my time, so I get decent stuff up front if possible.

If I buy something I know is only temporary, then I'll go cheap and feed it to the trash can when done.

K
K
I'll be watching this thread closely. I too would like to find a hose that's large diameter, light weight, doesn't kink, doesn't split, stays flexible, has couplings that can withstand getting run over, and lasts forever. grin

I've had good luck with 3/4 inch, heavy duty hose I bought at the farm store. It's slightly heavy, slightly stiff, but very durable!

T
T
Originally Posted By: Zep

Zep, I am going to add a STAR in front of your name today smile I recently read the book " The Red River Campaign" or I think that was the name, it told of how the Yankees were kept out of Texas during the Civil War. Except for some deserted island in the gulf of Mexico, the Yankees never made it. I still don't think our government or others understands Texans smile

Tracy
PS, I will always remember what Dave said here on another thread, We talk slower here so the Yankees can understand us smile

Last edited by TGW1; 02/06/16 09:38 AM. Reason: addition

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
So yer saying the Yankees went for the island beaches and ocean front property..... smile

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/06/16 09:41 AM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
T
T
Bill, Ha, more like a swamp, I think lol

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
P
P
Purfect trap fer them vermin

Just kiddin

Last edited by Pat Williamson; 02/06/16 10:17 AM.
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: TGW1

Tracy
PS, I will always remember what Dave said here on another thread, We talk slower here so the Yankees can understand us smile

So that's what it is???....

I figured the slow speech was due to hearing your own voices reverberating in your eardrums, caused from wearing those huge, unwieldy sound collectors you call hats! grin

The things you learn on this forum. wink

Sounds like mister fancy pants elevator repairman might be feeling his oats... smile

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Nah, just having some fun. I'm sure we're all proud of wherever we call home.

I do have some fancy black BDU elevator britches, though. grin

ROFL!!

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Nah, just having some fun. I'm sure we're all proud of wherever we call home.

I do have some fancy black BDU elevator britches, though. grin

Oh, just wondering what this might mean with the acronym, then one brain cell said to another, might just be a quick release panel...

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Spark - I'm sure you are getting some decent training. I mean, elevators and their operation is nothing to take lightly, and quite sure you will be in a slot on a need to know basis of what you will be doing as a maintenance person.

The cool thing is you are actually going thru the training that a lot of companies consider useless...

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
BDU.....battle dress uniform. Fancy name for ripstop fabric with a lot of pockets.

The training so far is quite enjoyable. I've always appreciated an opportunity to learn something new, and develop new skills. The fact that your paycheck skyrockets once that CET patch goes on your uniform doesn't hurt, either. Elevator technicians consistently place among the highest paid technician jobs in the country, and from what I've read you can pretty much start adding additional zeros to your paystub once the certification is complete. Salaries well over six figures are commonplace.

As far as taking it lightly, elevators now fall under the domain of Homeland Security. And as I'm discovering, they don't take it lightly either. And while the 30 hours of OSHA I recently completed seemed kinda' useless to me, I was informed that having that little card in your wallet actually meant something. Seems a lot of companies would rather hire someone that already carried the necessary certs, rather than have to implement the programs, spend the time, and foot the bill themselves.

Yes there is a lot of maintenance on an elevator. But in our shop we are more than guys running routes. We also re-cable cars, rebuild gearboxes and drive machines, swap out motors, generators, door openers and clutches, and controllers. We do all our own troubleshooting and diagnosis, and will remove circuit boards to remove and re-solder faulty components when the need arises. Dis-assembling a hydraulic cylinder 40+ feet long and 10 inches in diameter to replace a leaky seal or packing is part of the job.
Some of the journeymen in the shop can walk into an empty hoistway and build and install a complete, state-of-the-art functioning elevator where there is nothing but bare concrete walls. And while we don't do new installs here in this shop, my training does include some of this stuff.

There certainly are elevator maintenance folks who walk in with a five gallon bucket, some shop rags, a grease gun and oil can, but they call for someone else if they discover an issue....we don't.

Then there's the matter of stand by. Elevators run 24 hrs a day, and this is a college campus. Pretty much non-stop operations. When I reach the point a few years from now, when I need to take my turn in the rotation, I will be expected to show up whenever the call comes in. Many are benign, but there are entrapments from time to time. I'll need to maintain a sense of calm while the eyes of the fire dept, the police, and who knows how many onlookers all turn to me the second I walk in. A lot of elevator shops rely on the fire dept to handle their extractions. Not us. When I'm faced with that situation, I hope I can display the same professionalism and expertise that I've witnessed from the guys in our shop.

So to answer your question, I don't think I'm taking things too lightly. But you know what? In the five weeks I've been in the shop I've discovered that those same serious, dedicated, and professional journeymen and apprentices I've been describing here, also have a sense of humor. They're human, just like me. And I'm proud to say they share much of the same philosophy that my deceased friend and mentor Dennis had....they have the ability to discern when it's time to laugh, from when it's time to get it done, period.

I'm boasting here, and I know better than to do that. It will surely come back and bite me in the ass. But I'm going to let myself have one, brief, useless moment. there were 52 candidates for this position, including electrical journeymen, mechanics of various disciplines, and at least one engineer from a particle accelerator project. Those folks are undoubtedly far more intelligent than I can ever hope to become, yet they chose me for the position. In the beginning I had doubts, wondering if I was the correct candidate or simply a statistically mandated choice. After months of skills assessment testing, interviews, and more tests, I finally screwed up enough courage to ask. They were polite, professional, and firm. "We hired you because you were the right person for the job. You're here, because you're supposed to be here...YOU are who we want."

So yeah, I'm not taking it lightly. I've worked overtime when offered just to be able to see and do more, and I'm ordering additional textbooks besides those already included in the curriculum, on my own dime, in order to try and further my education above and beyond the pace set by the NAEC and the department of labor. I will own this vocation, lock stock and barrel. I will become that technician who they know can sort it out, wring it out, and run it out.

Sorry for jacking the thread. Back to garden hoses, and I stand on my original recommendation. Buy an RV hose.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Yeah Spark, that's a pile to pick up and really glad you smoked everyone, because they don't choose lightly.

I'm sure you will be buying new tools to accomindate the new job that you may not have in your shop tool box.

C
OP Offline
C
spark, you can hijack my thread anytime you want. I love hearing about what you are learning. What a great opportunity for you. I'm sure they saw talents, and experience in you that they missed in others when they selected you.

Keep us posted. WE all love to hear the updates.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Appreciate the latitude, canyon!

JKB, c'mon now......I've never met a mechanic or technician who wasn't looking for a reason to buy more tools. I'm buying several new goodies even though I already own perfectly good examples!! grin Even eyeballing a new Milwaukee backpack to carry em' in!

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
spark, you can hijack my thread anytime you want. I love hearing about what you are learning. What a great opportunity for you. I'm sure they saw talents, and experience in you that they missed in others when they selected you.

Keep us posted. WE all love to hear the updates.

Spark has a lot of interesting stuff ahead of him.

Can't wait to see some of the latest controls they use these days.

Last edited by JKB; 02/07/16 09:58 AM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump
by esshup - 03/26/24 09:47 PM
Newly Uploaded Images