Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,067
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,410
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
18 members (esshup, bstone261, jpsdad, Bing, e_stallman, FishinRod, Justin W, Augie, emactxag, Ron crismon, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson), 691 guests, and 169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
The answer is it stalled on the Nitrite side because the compressor was making a bunch of noise due to the close proximity of the PVC pipe close to the glass. My Dad thought something was going on downstairs while I was gone and had my brother unplug the compressor, but I still had another one going with two 12" air stones kicking out some bubbles, but not mixing the media proper.

Hey, just gotta go from there!

Sorry to hear that man.

You seem to have built up quite a supply of different sized tanks, etc. Did you post somewhere what your ultimate plan is for all the efforts?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Mainly just messing around right now. I'm gonna sell 3 of the other tanks I have.

You ever thought about raising some grass shrimp in one or two of those big tanks? I know a whole bunch of guys that would line up as customers! grin

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Probably illegal here, but... wink

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Well Bill, any updates?

Phil,

Things are slowly coming together. The hood for the 20 gallon came yesterday. Still waiting on various small stuff to show up. Seems a lot of the stuff on Amazon for aquariums comes out of China and takes forever to arrive.

I played around some with the media in submerged filters using the DIY concept I saw on Youtube. Found out quickly that suction cups don't reliably suck in an aquarium and are a PITA! Working on something that should be much more stable. The RRs in the 10 are doing well but are small and it will be a good while before I can start thinking about getting them to spawn. Seriously considering putting some scuds in the 20 while I wait.

How is your setup coming?

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Phil,

Things are slowly coming together. The hood for the 20 gallon came yesterday. Still waiting on various small stuff to show up. Seems a lot of the stuff on Amazon for aquariums comes out of China and takes forever to arrive.

I played around some with the media in submerged filters using the DIY concept I saw on Youtube. Found out quickly that suction cups don't reliably suck in an aquarium and are a PITA! Working on something that should be much more stable. The RRs in the 10 are doing well but are small and it will be a good while before I can start thinking about getting them to spawn. Seriously considering putting some scuds in the 20 while I wait.

How is your setup coming?

Yep, suction cups, well, suck! I just hang stuff over the side and call it good.

Picked up a couple 300G tanks while in Indiana.

Got to figure out how to do the drain on these, but the inside is not obstructed like a lot of others.

I can get these in the basement, so that's what I'll be killing some fish in wink

Nice Man! Those would be a lot of fun to play with as micro forage ponds.

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
After I showed the pics to esshup, he said those are the exact same ones he has as mini ponds by the house. They are quite reasonable in price. Still would like to get a couple of the 500G round tanks they have. I can use the stake truck from work to go get them.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Who is selling the 500 gallon round tanks and how much are they getting for them if you don't mind me asking?

My apologies if you already covered that in the thread.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Who is selling the 500 gallon round tanks and how much are they getting for them if you don't mind me asking?

Big R chain in IN and IL. 500G Tank

They are structural foam just like the Rubbermaid tanks, really solid!! The two they had in Rochester, IN were full of ice at the time I was there, or I would have brought a couple home with me.

For $210.00, that's not a bad price. Big R had the lowest prices. Tanks are made in Wisconsin by Freeland Industries, which has been around for a long time. Nice people to talk to as well. I'll bet I could get a better deal factory direct if I picked up at the factory.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB

Big R chain in IN and IL. 500G Tank

They are structural foam just like the Rubbermaid tanks, really solid!! The two they had in Rochester, IN were full of ice at the time I was there, or I would have brought a couple home with me.

For $210.00, that's not a bad price. Big R had the lowest prices. Tanks are made in Wisconsin by Freeland Industries, which has been around for a long time. Nice people to talk to as well. I'll bet I could get a better deal factory direct if I picked up at the factory.

Yeah that's an awesome price. Thanks for the info! Only concern I might have is if it appears to have ribbing in the center bottom that might make it difficult to put in a center drain, or might cause settleable solids to build up against the ribbing. However I can't tell by the illustration if that would be an issue.

OTOH if the price is right there is always a work around.

I have a similar tank that is 8 feet 7 feet in diameter * I picked up used off of Ebay from a guy in Ohio that was playing around with sharks of all things. I use it for my outdoor summer system as it won't fit inside any of the doors to my basement. Works great! Fortunately even though there is ribbing it isn't in the center bottom and I was able to install a 3 inch center drain via a uniseal and pvc shower drain.

*My tank is actually 7 feet in diameter on the bottom and a little bigger on top as it tapers out. Same depth though but was too lazy to flip it over and measure the top.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/06/16 06:17 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

I see Farm and Fleet has Agrimaster 8 foot (625 gallon) and 9 foot (1000 gallon) diameter stock tanks 28 inch deep. Anybody have experience with one of these or seen them in person.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/farm-livestock/livestock-feed-equipment/feeders-waterers/stock-tanks/

[Linked Image]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
JKB,

Looks like the ribs won't be an issue installing a center drain for you as I went out to look at my tank that is not being used for the winter, and the ribs do not extend to the center. I also didn't have any significant issues with solids trapped against the ribs. when in use.

I'm wondering if my tank wasn't made in the same mold as the ones you're looking at as the measurements seem the same width wise and depth wise.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/06/16 06:09 PM.

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
No way to scope out the bottom while I was there. Froze my butt off while there just getting the two I did.

Yeah, I don't think they prepared for winter too well because a guy had to get a T post from inside the store to pry the tanks apart. They were quite frozen together. Got them loaded then sat in the parking lot for a couple minutes in my truck to thaw my hands and ears out. Wind was brutal!

Sent esshup a text that I got them. He wanted me to pull off in Plymouth and hit Applebee's, but I was tired of driving and just wanted to get home. Fairly clear roads, but once I
hit MI, got into some freezing rain, then some snow cover on top of that. Not the best scenario for driving.

Last edited by JKB; 02/07/16 08:42 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I see Farm and Fleet has Agrimaster 8 foot (625 gallon) and 9 foot (1000 gallon) diameter stock tanks 28 inch deep. Anybody have experience with one of these or seen them in person.

http://www.farmandfleet.com/farm-livestock/livestock-feed-equipment/feeders-waterers/stock-tanks/

No experience but don't see why they wouldn't work with the right plumbing.

Well since you brought it up... smile

Can you give some detail on how you set yours up? On top the ground with a trenched in bottom drain pipe? How did you cut the hole for the drain? etc. etc. etc......

[Linked Image]
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Can you give some detail on how you set yours up? On top the ground with a trenched in bottom drain pipe? How did you cut the hole for the drain? etc. etc. etc......

Be happy to but prefer to start another thread. I don't want to hijack JKB's anymore than I have.

I'll have to get on my desktop vs. the mobile I'm on now. Promise detail with pics no later than tomorrow. Gotta watch the debate tonight. grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/06/16 08:29 PM.

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
R

Last edited by JKB; 02/07/16 08:40 PM.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

Be happy to but prefer to start another thread. I don't want to hijack JKB's anymore than I have.

I'll have to get on my desktop vs. the mobile I'm on now. Promise detail with pics no later than tomorrow. Gotta watch the debate tonight. grin

...I have no inhibitions of gently mentioning to CFO's and CEO's that they are full of crap!

Boss thinks I've improved over the years tho. wink

So you got to see how incompetent some CEO's and CFO's are first hand? Unbelievable isn't it? And the amount of compensation they get for boner decisions is unreal too. And of course some, after running a corp into the ground walk away with a golden parachute.

The part that really baffles me is corps can run for months just fine without a CEO while they are looking for one. What does that say about their importance?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Cecil, didn't you have a post with pics explaining and showing the process of putting together your first RAS?

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Cecil, didn't you have a post with pics explaining and showing the process of putting together your first RAS?

I do but I no longer do it that way. Constantly tweaking things.

J
JKB Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Cecil, Hijack all you want. Makes for nice reading and good info.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Cecil, Hijack all you want. Makes for nice reading and good info.

Thanks Phil but I think I'll start another thread for another reason: If someone wants to find the info it will be easier if it's a separate thread with the appropriate title.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 08:37 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:22 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB