Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,091
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (FishinRod, Augie, PRCS, BillyE, LeighAnn, bstone261, LANGSTER, Sunil, dg84s, ewest, Fishingadventure, Shorthose, Freg, IND1371, Groundhog7, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1), 747 guests, and 299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#437009 02/06/16 02:46 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Greedy greedy, greedy !!!!
I'm sure glad that I'm just an old blue collar trailer trash.
There's an old song that says "I got plenty a nothin and nothin's plenty for me"

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Was called to donate to a state trooper's fund. Told the guy I coudn't afford it as I had to pay a $120.00 traffic ticket given to me by a state trooper a couple of days before! grin

In all fairness the ticket was only $30.00 if I remember right. The rest was court costs for a mail in of the ticket fee! Wow I bet that took a lot of the judge's time!

Can't believe the speed limit was only 55 mph on a massive divided highway. The excuse was it was a "limited access highway." Uh huh!

Now I do enjoy the solicitors that want to sell me siding for my house. I ask them, "Now why would I want to put siding on my log home?" grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 02/06/16 06:20 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

T
T
Most people don't realize that most of these phone calls are from paid solicitors. The first question I usually ask is "do you think this is a worthwhile charity?". Then I ask if they are a paid solicitor (knowing the answer is probably yes.Then I say " If this is such a worthwhile charity why are you not donating your time?". Then I listen to the crickets for a short while until they hang up.
With that being said there are some good charities but a lot are just high pressure money grubers which funnel very little down to the people that need it.The majority of donations are consumed by administrative fees.
I do volunteer for a local charity which provides Christmas presents for abut 1500 needy children each year but all the labor is volunteer and we do close to 10 fundraisers each year. I do enjoy helping even though it can be very time consuming!

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I just tell them I'm dirt poor without a bank account, nor any credit cards. Pretty much in the same boat they are collecting for.

Once you tell them you have no credit card, they hang up before you do. grin

I hate the idea of people profiting from charitable work. I do simple things like hit those red kettles hard at Christmas, fill those boots when local fireman are collecting for the food pantry, etc. Every dollar I give in those situations goes straight to the folks that need it, not 2 cents out of every dollar.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
I hate the idea of people profiting from charitable work. I do simple things like hit those red kettles hard at Christmas, fill those boots when local fireman are collecting for the food pantry, etc. Every dollar I give in those situations goes straight to the folks that need it, not 2 cents out of every dollar.

I use to volunteer time at a place in GR called God's Kitchen. Anyone could walk in and get fed quite well, no cost, just show up.

There are quite a few miserable people out there, be it booze or drugs being the affliction, that they would rip you an new A$$ hole if the daily menu didn't suit them.

Free food and people willing to help you...

Blew my mind!!!

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Let me rant about this a bit more.

I mean, your homeless and found a cardboard box to call home, and you're Bitching about free hot meals on a daily basis, and non intrusive people who put up with your abusive crap who only want to help, you crap on them, but they continue to feed you every day, and you are welcome at any time for a free hot meal and shelter for the winter. Plenty of places around here to bunk at night, but No One will let you in if you are smoke.

Can't fix everything, but people with good hearts try.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Another thing is I was serving one old guy who came in a couple times a day to eat free food and he just beat the hell out of everyone caring for him. We didn't complain, but he always put up a stink and was quite nasty toward everyone.

He ate for free with people serving him, that did not complain!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
My first patient, at one of my clinicals at a nursing home, when I as studying to be an RN punched me in the face. That was after I gently told him it was time to get up. The old man really gave me a hard time all the way through, but cried hs eyes out on my last day there. The poor guy was in and out of reality.

The crazy thing is he was once a really big GM excecutive.

I hear many of the homeless are mentally ill. Out to lunch.

S
S
Where we are staying the owner here just a few days ago was lamenting about the different conservation groups that operate on charitable contributions. He has been here full time since the 70's and is as conservation minded as anyone I know.

What he lamented was that some graduate student or researcher would come to the island with a grant to do some research. The research ends, they want to stay, and rather than finding a real job (his words) they invent some problem to solve and start a non-profit organization to fix it. He says it is funny, it has never been a problem for the last thirty years but suddenly they need to get donations to fix it. So in his opinion there are a number of organizations of "save the" or "study the" type that have more to do with sustaining the people running them than actually doing any good.

Very few organizations have a "start date - get the job done - and wind it down" mindset. Once started they only tend to try and grow.

A lot of good non-profit organizations out there. I much prefer voluntary solutions to problems, when possible, than government. But buyer beware when you get the check book out. Some due diligence is a good idea.

Last edited by snrub; 02/07/16 07:40 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B

"The crazy thing is he was once a really big GM excecutive".
Yhat is probably why he was in and out of reality.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Many of the homeless have mental problems. They can be difficult to deal with but are still hurting and need help . Find a good group and help because it will help you as much as others!!!

F
F
I am surprised the Humane Society of the United States is not on the list with only 1%
going to animals in need. However, the administrators and staff live very well .
Maybe they are only listing people charities.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Online Content
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Jesus answered, "A certain man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who both stripped him and beat him, and departed, leaving him half dead. By chance a certain priest was going down that way. When he saw him, he passed by on the other side. In the same way a Levite also, when he came to the place, and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he travelled, came where he was. When he saw him, he was moved with compassion, came to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. He set him on his own animal, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. On the next day, when he departed, he took out two denarii, and gave them to the host, and said to him, 'Take care of him. Whatever you spend beyond that, I will repay you when I return.' Now which of these three do you think seemed to be a neighbour to him who fell among the robbers?"
He said, "He who showed mercy on him."

Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do likewise."

— Luke 10:30–37,

You will find similar concepts in most religions.

Last edited by ewest; 02/07/16 11:33 AM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: FINnFUR
I am surprised the Humane Society of the United States is not on the list with only 1%
going to animals in need. However, the administrators and staff live very well .
Maybe they are only listing people charities.

Apparently. I heard that too about the Humane Society.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
seems to me like a good time to let this post fade away.
Everyone should let their conscience be their guide.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
seems to me like a good time to let this post fade away.
Everyone should let their conscience be their guide.

Done!

Catmandoo

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 04:23 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 04:13 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by ewest - 03/28/24 03:37 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday