Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Bennettrand, Jward87, Kanon M, KWL, Homestead 101
18,496 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,960
Posts557,935
Members18,496
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,493
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,145
Who's Online Now
11 members (Don Kennedy, Augie, Boondoggle, FishinRod, Sunil, Shorthose, ghdmd, phinfan, Theeck, Justin W, Drago), 809 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#432841 12/28/15 10:44 AM
OP Offline
We have had a bit of time to have a pond builder come out and increase the dam height and dig out around some Cypress trees on the far bank to give more fish cover. So now we have about 80 feet on the dam and another 60 on the tree side of bare soil. I would like to attract more wildlife weather it be deer, rabbits, etc. I was thinking of sowing clover. Is there anyone on here with experience in planting clover and thoughts? What brand ? I would like something to just plant once and come back every year, also I don't want it to get high.

Thanks

Forced to work born to Fish
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
SB, I have about a 1/2 acre of clover/alfalfa mix next to my pond. I mow it every couple of yrs ta keep the weeds from invading. It attracts everything from Geese to deer.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
T
T
snakebite, I have Elbon rye, winter forage wheat(tested by OSU) along with winter Oats and with 4 different types of clovers. Check out the soil by soil testing so you will know what you are starting with. Bob 0 grows Alfalfa and that requires great soil, me, my soil is not near so great so the Elbon rye (cereal rye grain) grows with less soil requirements.(Bob O, I wished I could grow the Alfalfa). My clovers may be different to what grows best verses your place. I have 6 acres dedicated to clovers, planted and growing, 2nd year for some). As Bob O mention it's pretty easy to maintain clovers with mowing and water. Look into Durana clovers, but there are many to look at. You might want to talk to a local feed and seed store, where they might let you know what type grows best in your area. Plant clovers in the fall and winter, Look into frost seeding clovers. Worked great for me. Good luck with the green thumb smile

Tracy

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
OP Offline
Thanks for the good info. I would like to keep it no higher than 4-6" mowing would be no problem. I just wanted something that would grow to keep erosion down and attract wildlife. Keeping the banks fishible all the way around is important to me since I'm getting more into fly fishing.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
One thing to keep in the back of your mind with clover.

Bees

I have patches of clover between the barn and the pond. Each of the past two years, I've walked through the clover and have had a honeybee get wedged between my foot and the inside of my sandals. (not flip flops - sort of open toed water shoes).

Each one wasn't very happy and let me know.....Pronto!

Having a knife in your pocket to scrape off the poison sac before it can empty into your foot is nice, and so is putting a poultice of meat tenderizer on it to counteract the poison.

First time I had the knife, 2nd time I didn't. The skin on one toe ended up peeling off on the 2nd one........ frown

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
OP Offline
Esshup I sure can believe that. I guess I would just have to keep a eye out when I'm walking or keep it cut short enough to leave few blooms. I have rarely been stung by bees, I have though been torn up by red paper wasp. They have a way to know I'm not paying attention and BAM.. They get me good. Earlier this year I was opening a cow field gate and the railroad tie post had a mass nest, think we counted 21 stings. By the time I made it to the house my feet had swollen up and I was dizzy till the following morning.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You got nailed 21 times? OUCH!!!

I rarely get stung, my record in a year was 3x. Maybe I've learned my lesson on walking through the clover with the sandals on. We'll see this upcoming year............

I like clover for how it spreads, the root system and how it fixes nitrogen in the soil. I have Dutch White Clover.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
K
K
I've had good luck with Ladino in NE Kansas. Rapid establishment, good germination, low growth, good persistence (going on 4th year). I recommend it.

My Durana is supposed to last longer, but took couple of years to get well established. Germination was more inconsistent & patchy. It's also low growing and smaller leaves.

I mow on the highest setting 3 times a year to keep weeds down. I'd suggest frost seeding this March. If you're planting a pure stand, don't fertilize, as the clover doesn't need it and it will encourage weed/grass growth. Haven't had a problem with bees, but I wear boots and pants. For everything you'd ever want to know about planting/maintaining clover, search it with "QDMA", which will take you to their forum. Good luck!

T
T
I really like the 4 types clovers around my pond, but the drought we have had here in E Texas puts a hurt on it in late summer. If I can irrigate or water it, it does much better in the heat.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
jeffreythree, ShortCut
Recent Posts
Inland Silver sided shiner
by FishinRod - 04/24/24 10:04 AM
What did you do at your pond today?
by Sunil - 04/24/24 07:49 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/23/24 10:00 PM
Concrete pond construction