Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
5 members (RogersTailgate, anthropic, Brev, Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 665 guests, and 210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#427301 10/22/15 01:38 PM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Zep made a great post regarding solar lights the other day - I feel positive or negative feedback on products is valuable information to add to the forum to help guide our decisions on product purchases.

I have a little time today, so thought I'd add a totally random list of items off the top of my brain. If my feedback helps just one person, it's worth the effort!

20 V Black and Decker LLP120B Bare Max Lithium Ion Alligator Lopper Saw

I own a Stihl 290 18" and Echo 14" but was tempted by the positive reviews on a limb lopping saw to keep around the house for small chores where I don't want to hassle with firing up the gas saws. So far, it's been very versatile and I've used it for trimming trees and also for cutting chunks of oak, etc for my smoker since I don't have a band or table saw. I've never come close to running down the lithium battery - so far, so good.

There are many lithium powered saw out there - almost dropped $500+ on the Stihl, but for under $100 this BD was a steal.

Frog Toggs breathable waders

I've spent a small fortune on Cabelas and Simms waders in the past that have either sprung a leak or I've left streamside a few times, but saw a great deal on chest waders a 6 years ago from Frog Toggs and figured it was worth a $60 shot in the dark. I was only familiar with their rain gear, but these waders have kept me cool, are very comfortable and roomy, and are still going strong despite very heavy abuse.

I just purchased a pair of Frog Hellbender guide pants [waist waders] today as my Cabelas waist waders finally bit the dust. I'm looking forward to getting them out on the mountain streams next Summer.

Green Monster Light

I bought one of these from Nate when he came and built my dock with Justin/crew 4 years ago, and I've been very happy with it's performance. I've never had to replace the bulb, the photo cell never skips a beat, and the eerie glow cast beneath my dock has enabled me to view nocturnal fish behavior which has been enlightening and fun. Never knew that crappie would swim upside down and vertically to graze on zooplankton!

Caution: Staring into the glow at the end of the dock on a warm Summer evening can result in temporal displacement and significant missing beer episodes.

Aqua Vu AV Micro

This handheld camera is great when ice trolling and scouting holes for active fish - saves a ton of time lugging a flasher or larger camera and leads to far more productive fishing. It's also been a huge benefit checking out the feeding activity of my caged fish, specifically Yellow Perch, which I feed hydrated or sinking feed. I can determine which fish are eating, and how much they are eating, and allows me to save a ton of time/food as I can tell when they are satiated. The little handheld camera also provides a great view of the fish community beneath the dock, and has allowed me to retrieve a lost rod/reel, sump pump, pliers, and a net so far. I sometimes will throw the camera out into deeper water - and I can slowly retrieve the camera and watch my SMB/HSB feeding above.

Some models have DVR capabilities - mine does not, but at $150 for a reconditioned model it was a steal and has provided a ton of data so far.

Grate Wall of Fire

My family enjoys burning wood during the Fall/Winter, but I've often had smoke issues despite using only dry, seasoned Ash and Oak. For some reason my chimney just wasn't drawing well all the time. I was nearly going to install a chimney fan when I stumbled across the website for these new vertical grates. Reviews were positive, so I bit, and have been very satisfied with the product. Since the grate is vertical, it allows the fire to remain in the rear of the firebox, and that has completely eliminated all smoke draw issues I had battled for 12 years. Further, the vertical design of the grate makes the fuel self feeding down onto the coals - I can literally stack it and forget about it for 45 minutes. While I enjoy tinkering with fire, having to tend to the fire every 10 minutes was a real chore historically. Simple design, amazing results for anyone who is suffering from smoke or tiring of babysitting their fires.

I'll add more product feedback throughout the year - encourage anyone to pose questions or post their own product reviews.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Great post TJ. I appreciate hearing thoughtful, respectful comments on gear, and what a diverse range of products you have described.

I too perked up when Zep posted about the solar lights.

Consider your feedback a success as I will take your words to heart on several of the items.

Thanks.
Roger

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
Dammit TJ, you're going to cost me some $.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Gas starter bars for wood burning fireplaces are awesome! I can start a nice fire with 2 to 3 inch logs as kindling with no effort in a couple three minutes. I strongly recommend them to anyone building a new place that wants that traditional wood burning fireplace. My box is a Heatilator I100 and burns outside air so it doesn't suck all the warm air out of the house. I leave the doors closed for a few minutes until the draw gets established. The firebox is 50 inches at the front so it can handle 36 inch logs but a standard 2 foot log fire keeps the great room nice and warm.

Last edited by Bill D.; 01/29/16 08:40 AM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bill, I agree. The lake house has had a Heatilator fireplace in it forever, and it has one of those gas log lighters in it too. FWIW, if it ever wears out, you can make your own with a piece of black pipe, a pipe cap and a drill.

TJ, either your fireplace chimney isn't tall enough, or it is dirty. When was the last time you had the chimney cleaned out (swept)?

I clean mine once or twice a year.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Ok I got one here that I can honestly say it works great!

This log splitter we bought about a month ago from TSP. 899 on sale normally 999.

22 ton and it can sit upright also for the big stuff. Were cutting logs the size of plates barely above idle it has tons of power. I know when it comes to these type things it's always well is it worth it??? In this case if you need one this is the one to get. I love it!!

RC
P.S. We have cut everything from pine to hickory to oak and cedar!! All no problems. And Hickory is a hard hard wood!

Attached Images
Log Splitter.jpg
Last edited by RC51; 02/01/16 04:15 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Just came across this post due to RC51 adding a new post to TJs original, but I'd have to add a thumbs up to Black and Decker lithium tools.

I own almost all of the Black & Decker LD120VA 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion set, which started out with the drill and impact driver. I've used it for so many projects and have never been disappointed. While some professional construction folk might go a step up in quality, for the home project, you can have a bag full of cordless tools for a very reasonable price.
In particular, I love the small circular saw, the drill, the impact driver (awesome for putting together ladder deer stands) and the oscillating tool attachments.

I also have the Black and Decker LPP120 20-Volt Lithium Ion Cordless Pole Saw, and use it for trimming shooting lanes for deer hunting, as well as branch work around the yard. I find it indispensable, and much better than my old NiCad rechargeable one. Cutting power (up to 8 inches of oak in my experience) and battery power that is steady up to the last second are exactly what I'd always hoped for, but never got from NiCad cordless tools.

"Politics": derived from 'poly' meaning many, and 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'.
Originally Posted By: RC51

This log splitter we bought about a month ago from TSP. 899 on sale normally 999.

22 ton and it can sit upright also for the big stuff. Were cutting logs the size of plates barely above idle it has tons of power. I know when it comes to these type things it's always well is it worth it??? In this case if you need one this is the one to get. I love it!!

RC
P.S. We have cut everything from pine to hickory to oak and cedar!! All no problems. And Hickory is a hard hard wood!

Looks like I need a splitter that can handle 36 in diameter hardwood logs, or a little bigger. Will that one do it? Anybody got any other suggestions?

Last edited by Bill D.; 02/02/16 08:20 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bill D.

RC

Looks like I need a splitter that can handle 36 in diameter hardwood logs, or a little bigger. Will that one do it? Anybody got any other suggestions?

I just take the Kubota and move the big stuff under the splitter and work it that way. Sister has a 36 or 39 ton we borrow tho. Goes quick!

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S

RC

Big. Bigger than 22 tons. I'm not saying a 22 ton wouldn't split what you describe, but I'm more concerned about longevity while doing so. I like a little cushion, and running something maxed out to get the job done is asking for trouble sooner rather than later, in my opinion.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
JKB #436630 02/02/16 08:44 PM
P
P
Bill
I just got a 22 ton splitter from TS and the first log I split was about24-26" and it split it fine, no sweat

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Big. Bigger than 22 tons. I'm not saying a 22 ton wouldn't split what you describe, but I'm more concerned about longevity while doing so. I like a little cushion, and running something maxed out to get the job done is asking for trouble sooner rather than later, in my opinion.

70% seems to be the going design rate these days. Not like in the old days when everything was sized 10X+ the working load for longevity.

That's why that old stuff works so well, but greedy CEO's with a boat load of bean counters and fluffy engineers who... I would get in trouble wink

I may start a Pet Peeve thread that some can unload on. Need to do that to be healthy!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

RC

Timberwolf log splitters with log lifts are nice...
TW-5E

Hey, you asked! wink grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
Simple wire fence tightener. These work great. I also used them on a tree stand where a squirrel kept cutting the stabilizing ropes (replaced with high-tensile wire and then tightened with these).

http://www.jakeswiretighteners.com/

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah 36 inch log is big!! Not sure on that?? Most we have cut so far is about 15 inch but we did so on almost idle so if I do something that big I will let you know. We have some trees we will be cutting that are gonna be close to that size. I will post back when we do it.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:36 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images