Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
7 members (Theo Gallus, esshup, JasonInOhio, Foozle, Bruno616, Don Kennedy, Croakin' Toad), 851 guests, and 310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#436058 01/28/16 12:56 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Wanted to pay for an item via my debit card but as far as I could tell Pay Pal was the only option. At least after some hard looking there didn't seem to be any other option. If there was, Ebay was making it hard to find. Or it may have had something to do with being mobile.

Don't get me wrong I like Pay Pal but prefer to have the payment method up to me.

Ended up buying the same item on Amazon for that reason for a few pennies less. May be doing more of my shopping on Amazon from now on.

Anybody else?

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/28/16 12:57 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I've always used paypal never used anything else. I believe once you setup a paypay account you can then setup a debit or credit card that you want to use and your good to go. I use that paypal account though for a lot of other sites as well. So it works for me. Sorry I can't bag on them with ya! smile

RC

Last edited by RC51; 01/28/16 01:38 PM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I LOVE Pay Pal for receiving money for frozen fish sales! Just prefer to have options up to me!

OTOH it may have been the seller only wanted the Pay Pal option.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 01/28/16 01:57 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

T
T
You can have multiple cards on your Paypal account if you like. When you go to pay with Paypal, you pick the card you want it charged to. I have a debit card and a credit card on my account and choose the one I want to pay with when checking out.

I'm a PayPal user as well and feel pretty safe using them instead of unfamiliar websites. On Amazon I don't though.

If it's not offered on an Ebay purchase I become skeptical of who I'm giving the info out to.

One thing nice about PayPal is PayPal Buyer Credit giving me 6 months to pay, no interest.

That's my $.02

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: troymillian
You can have multiple cards on your Paypal account if you like. When you go to pay with Paypal, you pick the card you want it charged to. I have a debit card and a credit card on my account and choose the one I want to pay with when checking out.

Interesting. Didn't see that option.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
I love PayPal and Amazon.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Cecil, ebay sellers set the payment methods they will allow. Ebay did stop direct payments with personal checks as being an option sellers can choose a few years ago.

PayPal gives both buyers and sellers some recourse if things go awry.

You can set up a debit card and change the payment "source" in paypal if you do not use the "quick pay" option in ebay checkout.

Zep #436095 01/28/16 03:47 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I use Paypal, and have it linked to a debit card/account where I transfer money into electronically before I use the account to pay for something. It is NOT set up to automatically deduct any funds from any account, not do I carry any sizeable balance in the account - it's set up that way to minimize being hacked. I also use that debit account/card to pay other on-line bills and make on-line purchases.

OTOH, I don't like using Paypal to GET funds (i.e. paid)because depending on the size of the sale, I get a better deal from a different CC processing service. Paypal charges not only a % of the transaction, they charge a transaction fee as well.

Cecil, if you use Paypal to get funds, why couldn't you use it to pay someone??

Last edited by esshup; 01/28/16 03:48 PM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks for the responses!

That said I've been posting way too much stuff on the Internet thanks to being down with a cold that has morphed to bronchitis. Hoping to get back to the shop tomorrow!

D
D
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Cecil, ebay sellers set the payment methods they will allow. Ebay did stop direct payments with personal checks as being an option sellers can choose a few years ago.

PayPal gives both buyers and sellers some recourse if things go awry.

You can set up a debit card and change the payment "source" in paypal if you do not use the "quick pay" option in ebay checkout.

I like that if you don't get your goods with pay pal you can at least get your money back.

Because of this I have full confidence with pay pal.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
The one problem I've run into with Paypal is using it to buy gifts and have them sent to a different address than is on your account. We bought a gift from a company in Japan to send to a friend in Singapore. If we would have had it sent here first, we would have had to pay a hefty import tax and then mail it again. Sent direct from Japan to Singapore saved a couple hundred bucks. Finally, got it done by a nice gal in Japan that did the paperwork "by hand" as a work around.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
esshup #436127 01/28/16 05:15 PM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: esshup
I use Paypal, and have it linked to a debit card/account where I transfer money into electronically before I use the account to pay for something. It is NOT set up to automatically deduct any funds from any account, not do I carry any sizeable balance in the account - it's set up that way to minimize being hacked.

Scott that is sort of what I do. I have a Wells Fargo account that is solely for the purpose of e-Bay, etsy (my new love) and/or PayPaL transactions. Like you, I keep a limited amount of funds in the account in case of hacking. One reason I love PayPal and Amazon is the "1 or 2 click and you're done" factor.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: troymillian

Interesting. Didn't see that option.

Just go into funding option to add/change bank accounts and/or cards.

I had over $2000 stolen from my account years ago, and paypal replaced it, with interest. I used to keep a considerable balance on my account when paypal paid interest through a "money market". Once they stopped, I auto-sweep any funds out of paypal nightly and have them deposited into my bank account.

B
B
Cecil, one of my many jobs is working IT security. DON'T EVER use your debit card online unless it is tied to an account that is specifically used for online transactions and a minimal amount of money is maintained within the account. I would also highly recommend not using it at restaurants, or anywhere else, if the card is going to leave your sight. Credit cards offer much better protection than a debit card.

I am also thinking about including gas station pumps in that category due to the uptick of thieves installing credit card skimmers on the pumps. Wife and I have a preference to Discover and it gets paid off weekly so we never carry a balance. The credit card should have $0 liability on all fraudulent charges.

Most banks will credit your bank account back for the money lost but it can take weeks. About 10 years ago we "lost" about $3000 from our bank account due to a compromised debit card even though we had positive control of both cards. Took them about 5 weeks to get us the money back.

As for Paypal, Google Wallet, Amazon, etc. Love them all and use them constantly, especially Amazon. As Rex stated they all have protections in place to deal with fraud.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Thanks for the advice Ben! OTOH if anyone looks at my balance before stealing it they might go into uncontrolable laughter!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM