Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,076
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
14 members (esshup, Requa, Shorthose, Blestfarmpond, DrLuke, JasonInOhio, H20fwler, Theo Gallus, Justin W, LeighAnn, Bob Lusk, catscratch, Freg, DenaTroyer), 816 guests, and 212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Found this used Mobile home abandoned on my place last week when I came home from work. Had to have Police come out about moving it to were it was located in the picture below since it was parked on a sentimental site (place were I finished planting a garden with my daddy before he passed). The moving company contacted me yesterday about picking up on Saturday (2 days from now) to deliver to the rightful owner. It turned out the moving company owner WAS (stressing WAS at current time) a friend and he had parked the mobile home there. He had assumed it would be OK to drop it were he did without notifying anyone since it was a clean spot out of the way. My dilemma is
1. Should I be there and risk going off on someone while it is being moved.
2. Should I send a representative and wait for them to call me and tell me to come see what damage has been done. I know I will want to go over there then and go off on them.
3. OR Should I just wait until it is all over with and then go see what damage was done and leave it up to the police to document it.

I am thinking go with #3 so I do not get over emotionally evolved and get myself into a situation.
PS it took me a few days to get calmed down about the situation already. Also there is no way they can move it without issues since the access they used is wet now and will result in landscaping damage at minimal. Not to mention they have to remove some post I conveniently put up last week to tear up stuff if the owner came back and tried to leave with it.

Only in Bama ARRGGGGG

Attached Images
MBH.gif
Last edited by Tums; 01/21/16 05:56 PM.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
That is what I call unique.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Tums, I'd suggest having the police do a civil standby when the owner comes to get it. It will keep the peace AND not let a cop say after the fact, "how do I know that is new damage"? I might also collect storage fees...

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I'm guessing that you already have a collection, but take lots of pictures from lots of angles, with lots of close-ups. Also write down dates and pertinent damage info so if it does go to court, you don't have to rely solely on remembering it all, or get caught up in a he said, I said....

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Has damage been done? Doesn't look bad in the photo. I guess I would ask myself what has been wounded here, the property or my pride? Not saying what they did was right, just that I might give them a chance to square everything without assuming the worst, right off the bat.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
C
CMM Offline
C
Tums,

I understand your anger. I also get upset when people assume they can violate my property. Spark has a good point though, if possible, step back and think about real, concrete damages.

If a confrontation is inevitable, ditto what Rainman said about having the cops/sheriff out during pickup.

Good luck man.

Cmm

CMM

My only thought is to assess the damages as best you can before they move it. The police should be fine with you hanging on to it until you have received the payment. Once it's moved, you've lost your leverage and will probably never be paid.

Last edited by Bill D.; 01/21/16 07:01 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
T
T
I would have hooked up to it with the tractor and pulled it out to the bar ditch.......

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
What about telling them to pay rent/fee or stay off the property. There only remedy would be for them to hire a lawyer and repossess the trailer.

B
B
Blow off your steam before moving day. No good will come if you go with a chip or intent.

I think you should go as the property owner.

Additionally, make certain you have a sheriff or deputy there to keep the peace.

Also, consider having someone else there be it a family member or a friend, someone who can keep you in check if you forget to be nice.

Having someone record everything on video is always smart. Or set up a tripod. Often people behave better if they know they are being recorded ...

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Just tell the moving guy to bring 1K in cash or a court order stating he can legally retrieve the trailer. Get a big mean dog and have BBQ.
Possession is 90% of the law (not really but sounds good). I'll bet it would be legal to park it in. Don't whack anybody but let the guy understand what a presumptuous ass he is.

aying he is allowed by law to recover trailer.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd go with #3 and also #2 so they can document before and after damage. No sense in #1 because you might be owing more in medical fees and legal fees than you can collect.

"But officer, didn't you hear the lightening storm last night? Don't you know that these things attract lightening??"

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks. Yes damage has already been done. The pick shown is were It is sitting is OK after it was moved off my fathers remains. The damage was done in other areas when they were bringing it in and the first location were it was parked. In reality physically the damage done is easy for me to repair. The mental side of having my fathers memories in the damaged area (not to mention ashes from cremation run over) is harder to get over.
The Police here do not want to do their job either as County has passed it off to city and city says it is Civil is to be County Jurisdiction. Law enforcement Opinion has to do with who you are speaking to instead of LAW. Basically one deputy said have me a marsh mellow roast while the city cop says I cant even touch it. The lawyers have me put up 6 NO trespassing signs around it and say we will handle it when it is over. Needless to say that lets them get paid.

I think 2 & 3 and a lot of photos and videos are the way for me to go. I will go off if I am there.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Basslover has very good points. Tell them to stay off your property and that they have to pay for the damage before they pick up the trailer. What about blocking the road with a piece of equipment ?

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Offenders may damage the equipment in spite or to get it out of the way? Protect anything with a gas tank to prevent them putting stuff in the tank. Would a game camera help document activity?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/22/16 11:09 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
C
C
What is the background of why your (former) friend decided to bring the trailer there? Maybe if you understand the motive it would help you and us know how to react..

Was it his responsibility to remove the trailer from its original place by a certain deadline? And because he couldn't meet the deadline he needed to scramble and place it somewhere (anywhere) to meet the deadline? Did he intend to notify you that he was parking it there temporarily and just couldn't get ahold of you prior to the truck making the delivery?

Was it a practical joke?

Was it an awkward attempt at 'getting you back' for something trivial that inconvenienced him in the past?

Did you say (half heartedly) at some point in casual conversation that if anyone needed a place to go with something that you have plenty of room 'out back' and then he took you up on it?

What did he intend for you to do with it, scrap it?

You don't have to give all the details, but it is strange enough to have someone dump anything on your property without telling you... much less a huge mobile home and all the logistics of getting it hauled and positioned on your property and then left there.

What is it worth in its current condition? Or for scrap value? If you ask to be reimbursed for damages and that is more than the scrap value of the mobile home your friend may just say fine, keep it and then you would be hard pressed to use the actual item for collateral with out an expensive small claims court case.

T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Delivering company has called and said they have a document everyone is signing stating damages will be taken care of to give me.

Police have told me to call them and they will be there.

Brother has volunteered to be there in my behalf if I want him to be.

According to the Lawyer I hold the upper hand since all I have to do is sign the line to have them charged with multiple charges.

T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
What is the background of why your (former) friend decided to bring the trailer there? Maybe if you understand the motive it would help you and us know how to react..

Was it his responsibility to remove the trailer from its original place by a certain deadline? And because he couldn't meet the deadline he needed to scramble and place it somewhere (anywhere) to meet the deadline? Did he intend to notify you that he was parking it there temporarily and just couldn't get ahold of you prior to the truck making the delivery?

Was it a practical joke?

Was it an awkward attempt at 'getting you back' for something trivial that inconvenienced him in the past?

Did you say (half heartedly) at some point in casual conversation that if anyone needed a place to go with something that you have plenty of room 'out back' and then he took you up on it?

What did he intend for you to do with it, scrap it?

You don't have to give all the details, but it is strange enough to have someone dump anything on your property without telling you... much less a huge mobile home and all the logistics of getting it hauled and positioned on your property and then left there.

What is it worth in its current condition? Or for scrap value? If you ask to be reimbursed for damages and that is more than the scrap value of the mobile home your friend may just say fine, keep it and then you would be hard pressed to use the actual item for collateral with out an expensive small claims court case.

Never ever have gave anyone the idea this would be OK. The delivery was supposed to be made to a neighboring property and their access was not prepared enough to allow entry. So the Delivery company and other Property owner scouted out my place were they made the decision to leave it. Never was consulted or contacted be either party in the months leading up to this. Did not find out the what was going on until the mobile home moving company called me after police investigation had begun. It appears they found out by another company that had been contacted that police were involved and then decided to call me.
Trailer is not in good shape at all and I understand it is supposed to be temporary housing for property owners daughter that husband was arrested and is rehab. With her having a six year old child and these difficulties I will not be preventing the home from being removed from place.

Last edited by Tums; 01/22/16 01:17 PM.
T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: esshup
document before and after damage.

I agree with Scott...if you think you can't remain calm, personally I would send a trusted friend or relative to be present and take some before/during/after video with a cell phone. Be sure to take video/pictures of the truck, license plates, and driver. The half-wit that did this will see someone filming and it might make him more careful during the removal. Documentation could be your best friend if this turns ugly.

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Originally Posted By: Tums
....I understand it is supposed to be temporary housing for property owners daughter that husband was arrested and is rehab. With her having a six year old child and these difficulties I will not be preventing the home from being removed from place.

I salute and respect you for this position. IMO Well done!

Bill D.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
N
N
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
....I understand it is supposed to be temporary housing for property owners daughter that husband was arrested and is rehab. With her having a six year old child and these difficulties I will not be preventing the home from being removed from place.

I salute and respect you for this position. IMO Well done!

Bill D.

I couldn't agree more, the right decision for them. At times, I have to remind myself when things occur on my property that I'm fortunate enough to deal with it every now and then.

As long as it's not often wink

B
B
The delivery was supposed to be made to a neighboring property and their access was not prepared enough to allow entry. So the Delivery company and other Property owner scouted out my place were they made the decision to leave it.

If I'm understanding this correctly it appears that the owner of the trailer, or the renter of the trailer, your ex-friend or the lady with child (etc.), did not tell the moving company to leave the trailer on your property, but that the moving company and the neighboring land owner decided that between themselves. Is this correct?

If so, then perhaps there shouldn't be any anger toward the owner/renter of the trailer, but instead for the moving company and the neighbor?

Also, did any of the involved parties know that the area was a sacred area? IE, was it marked with anything that explicitly or implicitly indicated the remains and/or memories of a loved one are here? IF not, then as unfortunate as "luck" had it, maybe no one had any ill intent, and it was purely bad chance that the trailer rested where it did.

Again, not excusing trespassing or the action of leaving anything on someone's property. But maybe your anger can go away easier if you recognize that no one intentionally disrespected your family's special place?

T
Tums Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted By: basslover

If I'm understanding this correctly it appears that the owner of the trailer, or the renter of the trailer, your ex-friend or the lady with child (etc.), did not tell the moving company to leave the trailer on your property, but that the moving company and the neighboring land owner decided that between themselves. Is this correct?

If so, then perhaps there shouldn't be any anger toward the owner/renter of the trailer, but instead for the moving company and the neighbor?

Also, did any of the involved parties know that the area was a sacred area? IE, was it marked with anything that explicitly or implicitly indicated the remains and/or memories of a loved one are here? IF not, then as unfortunate as "luck" had it, maybe no one had any ill intent, and it was purely bad chance that the trailer rested where it did.

Again, not excusing trespassing or the action of leaving anything on someone's property. But maybe your anger can go away easier if you recognize that no one intentionally disrespected your family's special place?

It was a collaboration between the Trailer Owner / receiving Property owner & Delivering company on the decision to park on my property (the only one that really did not know they were doing wrong was the young child). Together they had no ill intent other than to use my property like they wanted to. They violated the NO TRESPASS / KEEP OFF signs that were there for the specific reason of what is present (originally parked Home between 2 signs of 6 present). They did not knowingly park on top of the emotional involved area, but did knowingly do what they wanted to that resulted in such happening.

I just Know I do not need to be there because if they were to say or do anything else stupid I may get stupid also. I am not near as aggravated as I originally was before I got the trailer moved off the emotional involved area and am trying to keep myself that way.

As far as the home I am thinking of the child and what his mother needs to take care of him. I am just trying to make decisions on what is best for them.

Thanks to everyone for all the advice and support. It is truly welcome.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Take the high road, Tums.

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 11:01 AM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Theo Gallus - 03/28/24 10:27 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Freeze Danger? - Electric Diaphragm Pump