Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,050
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
1 members (Bobbss), 300 guests, and 141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
RUMBLON Offline OP
OP Offline
R
OK, while I figure out what stuff to finally purchase I am wondering what and how to enclose my system in at the edge of my pond.

I plan on simply running power down to my pond edge since I have a 150 amp panel approx 50 feet from my pond already.

I will need to build a cover or way to keep my pump ect dry and safe. Im curious on what other have used or built?

DAVE

S
S

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Here's what I did. I wanted a little storage space as well so it is bigger than need be. It's built elevated for ease of maintenance, to keep the pump up out of water (standing water can occur in this area of my property) and to keep critters from burrowing underneath to make homes. To insure good ventilation, the floor is constructed with spaces between each board and the side walls only go up as far as required to get under the eaves. BTW, you can buy small pump enclosures with ventilation fans built in. You can see an enclosure like that in my pics actually sitting inside the pump house.

Attached Images
East.jpg Interior.jpg West.jpg
Last edited by Bill D.; 01/11/16 12:17 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
R
RUMBLON Offline OP
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Here's what I did. I wanted a little storage space as well so it is bigger than need be. It's built elevated for ease of maintenance, to keep the pump up out of water (standing water can occur in this area of my property) and to keep critters from burrowing underneath to make homes. To insure good ventilation, the floor is constructed with spaces between each board and the side walls only go up as far as required to get under the eaves. BTW, you can buy small pump enclosures with ventilation fans built in. You can see an enclosure like that in my pics actually sitting inside the pump house.

Bill, very nice work. I was thinking something similar due to potential snow depth up here.

Originally Posted By: RUMBLON

Bill, very nice work. I was thinking something similar due to potential snow depth up here.

Thanks for the kind words. FWIW, using a couple of landscape timbers and 4 lag bolts, I added a rack for a canoe last fall. This summer I will add a small section of floor across the covered portion of the landscape timbers for some additional storage. Also added a set of flood lights at the peak (wish they were higher). Sorry the picture is a little crooked (blame it on my bride the photographer. smile )

Attached Images
Canoe Rack.JPG
Last edited by Bill D.; 01/11/16 02:24 PM.

[Linked Image]
Here's my DIY compressor cabinet I built back in May, 2012 and still holding up fine. If you'd like more details let me know.

I used 1/4" ply and 1x's and used a dryer vent on the back and screened the opening to keep the small critters out.

Last edited by Lovnlivin; 01/11/16 02:42 PM.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
Here's my DIY compressor cabinet I built back in May, 2012 and still holding up fine. If you'd like more details let me know.

How about a BOM (Bill of Materials) and a write up on how you built it? Or a link to it if it's on here somewhere? wink

Is there a screen over the fan on the bottom?

Looks good!!!

Have you ever had snow get high enough to cause air flow problems thru the cabinet in the winter?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Originally Posted By: esshup

How about a BOM (Bill of Materials) and a write up on how you built it? Or a link to it if it's on here somewhere? wink

Looks good!!!

Have you ever had snow get high enough to cause air flow problems thru the cabinet in the winter?

+1 I like it!

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

Looks good!!!

I like the manifold, but wouldn't hang it that way. Fix mount the manifold and run hose from the compressor to the manifold.

One thing you guy's should consider is from your branch circuit protection (main circuit breaker in your breaker box), is to toss in device protection at it's level. Rather than feeding 15 amps into something that will only eat 3 amps on a good day, fatten up his maximum meals he can eat 125% with an appropriate Fuse or Circuit Breaker. Yep, overeating amps has a tendency to cause that burned electrical smell.

Just have a boring Grey box here for the outdoor rig.

Originally Posted By: JKB
One thing you guy's should consider is from your branch circuit protection (main circuit breaker in your breaker box), is to toss in device protection at it's level. Rather than feeding 15 amps into something that will only eat 3 amps on a good day, fatten up his maximum meals he can eat 125% with an appropriate Fuse or Circuit Breaker. Yep, overeating amps has a tendency to cause that burned electrical smell.

I like that idea. Just to be clear though, you are saying set a secondary protection at the device level of 125% of the device startup current, correct?

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

I like that idea. Just to be clear though, you are saying set a secondary protection at the device level of 125% of the device startup current, correct?

Nope!

Nope!

You lost me then. My Gast pump specs says it runs at 3.8 amps with startup of 5.3 amps. What would you suggest setting the secondary protection at?

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

Nope!

You lost me then. My Gast pump specs says it runs at 3.8 amps with startup of 5.3 amps. What would you suggest setting the secondary protection at?

125% of the FLA (Full Load Amps) on the motor nameplate. This is not your starting current.

125% of the FLA (Full Load Amps) on the motor nameplate. This is not your starting current.

Thanks. I am back with you again. So how do you keep from a nuisance trip during start? Some kind of time delayed fuse or is there a better protection device?

Last edited by Bill D.; 01/12/16 08:35 AM.

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

Thanks. I am back with you again. So how do you keep from a nuisance trip during start? Some kind of time delayed fuse or is there a better protection device?

Yes, the fuses for motors are time delay.

I use circuit breakers where possible, just because if they trip you can reset them rather than replace a blown fuse, and also you can use them easily to start and stop a motor. Needs to be a UL-489 rated device and I select the trip curve based on % inrush current, but usually for AC motors it would be a "D" curve.

R
RUMBLON Offline OP
OP Offline
R

Yes, the fuses for motors are time delay.

I use circuit breakers where possible, just because if they trip you can reset them rather than replace a blown fuse, and also you can use them easily to start and stop a motor. Needs to be a UL-489 rated device and I select the trip curve based on % inrush current, but usually for AC motors it would be a "D" curve.

Ok, Im lost on what you guys are talking about. I will be running basically the same pump a GAST OR THOMAS that uses the same AMPS from a plugged in extension cord that will go to a 20 AMP circut breaker in a panel I have down by my pond. It will be the only item on this 20 AMP breaker. This is what is currently installed.

what kind of electrical breaker or device should I be using to help this motor? Is this something in my breaker panel or something on the other end of my extension cord in the small home i build for my pump?

eventually I will put an underground line but the area in questions will be ripped up for a home build so no underground lines at this time.

Dave

Looks good!!!

+1 I like it!

Thanks guys!

Are you sure you want all this???

As far as a BOM, I don' know the exact dimensions of the box off hand, but the pump, manifold and fan came from the late Ted Lea. Once I received those I started on the cabinet, making it just big enough to house everything.

I'm not a craftsman by any means, more of a challenge-seeker so there's a lot of WAG's involved in most of what I do and/or build. No written plans, just an idea and "go from there".

I believe I used 3/8" ply but may have been 1/2", and I didn't use treated ply as I knew I would be sealing and painting it, and used 1x2's as inside perimeter supports and also for the hinged lid.

I'm also guessing I didn't go through a full 4x8 sheet of ply and maybe 20' of 1x2. Other than that the materials consisted of:
Screws
Wood putty
Paint
Dryer vent
PVC that I buried the electrical in
2-240v outlets and gang boxes

I have a screen over the dryer vent intake but not on the underside of the fan as it usually runs 24/7. Although I'm not running it this winter so I covered it on the inside.

I've not had snow high enough to cause air-flow problems but if I had to do it again, or if I knew I'd be there long enough, I would raise the cabinet due to the dust on windy days likely being drawn in, due to close proximity of the ground.

As far as the manifold, it's very light-weight aluminum so it's not like there's a lot stress involved coming from the airline to the motor. And from outside the cabinet I connected heater hose from the weighted tubing before it enters the cabinet and connects to the manifold. I also cut oversize holes in the bottom of the cabinet and inserted small pieces of larger heater hose as an insulator due to any vibration and not wanting the airline heater hose rubbing directly against the wood. This also relieves any tension from where the airline attaches to the manifold as it's a very tight fit coming through the bottom of the cabinet.

My system is 240v and since building the fish house, I ran the Tri-Plex from the power pole directly to a 100A distribution panel in the fish house. The panel has breakers for the 240v compressor pump and lights and outlets for the fish house. And there's another panel for the well pump.

Here's the pics of the cabinet when I built it:

As I'm sure that's more information than any of you really wanted, if you have any more questions, just let me know,,,,, but beware as you know I can get wordy shocked

PS - So much credit on building this cabinet goes to the late great Ted Lea. it was with his guidance that the air flow from the fan and vent passes over the motor, using heater hose to enter the cabinet, and to "insulate" it to prevent rubbing.

(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Keith,

There's a picture of an enclosure that looks a lot like yours in the Nov/Dec issue of PBM. It's in the aeration article by Bob L.

[Linked Image]
Keith,

There's a picture of an enclosure that looks a lot like yours in the Nov/Dec issue of PBM. It's in the aeration article by Bob L.

Thanks, Bill! I'll have to check that out (as soon as I renew my subscription blush blush blush )

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
WHAT? Renewing it won't help with that, you'll also have to order back issues! wink

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Yeah, I know, I know!

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: RUMBLON
Ok, Im lost on what you guys are talking about. I will be running basically the same pump a GAST OR THOMAS that uses the same AMPS from a plugged in extension cord that will go to a 20 AMP circut breaker in a panel I have down by my pond. It will be the only item on this 20 AMP breaker. This is what is currently installed.

what kind of electrical breaker or device should I be using to help this motor? Is this something in my breaker panel or something on the other end of my extension cord in the small home i build for my pump?

eventually I will put an underground line but the area in questions will be ripped up for a home build so no underground lines at this time.

Dave

Need to know the EXACT motor name plate rating, then you could install a Class CC Fuse (be the least expensive) or an appropriate Circuit Breaker local to the motor installation.

I've never seen anyone here do device level protection on a homemade rig tho, they just buy a new motor when they smoke.

If LL had an appropriate circuit breaker on the compressor he posted in this thread, when it had a mechanical failure, most likely would have saved the motor. Compressor rebuild was in vain because the motor took a fatal hit.

Well, my motor says it's thermally protected, and that's fine for it's purpose when the motor get's too hot, but that won't stop the amps from killing it way before that thermal switch even wakes up.

In my gig, I have to do device/people level protection on everything I do, so maybe this is too much here as I am not in control of the outcome.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Yeah, I know, I know!

If you eat a handful of Olives, and prove it, you got your renewal laugh wink

Yeah, I know, I know!

hahaha, that's hilarious Phil!

I couldn't even put one of those down, but I'm not one to pass up on a challenge!

I have small hands so you may just see a video posted here soon!

sick

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Yeah, I know, I know!

hahaha, that's hilarious Phil!

I couldn't even put one of those down, but I'm not one to pass up on a challenge!

I have small hands so you may just see a video posted here soon!

sick

Oh, I think you could hold quite a few in your hand.

Remember now, that for proper digestion, every bite the size of your thumbnail must be chewed at least 30 times before swallowing laugh

I could send you some more wink

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Bobbss - 03/28/24 02:44 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??