Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,951
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,497
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
10 members (Zep, Mainer, Donatello, Joe7328, Shorthose, Snipe, NADam, ArkieJig, highflyer, Lake8), 1,160 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#433111 12/30/15 09:51 PM
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Larger pond still had some iffy ice around edges under the snow that dropped last night, but this micro pond [1/3 acre] had 3" today so went for it. Popped a few nice BG 8.5" - 10" and several YP 11 - 13". Managing this as a trophy fishery stocked only with female YP and male BG - goal is to have nearly every fish in trophy status in the next couple years. Feint BG colors are due to the fact the pond was turbid most of the year as crayfish population exploded, denuded the pond entirely of vegetation, and stirred up the bottom so clarity dropped to under 12" - total chocolate milk. After extensive trapping and 500+ Northern Crayfish removed and stocked into the larger ponds this Fall, the clarity is back up to 36". The absence of apex predators with gape capability to hammer adult crayfish lead to a population explosion - lesson learned! BG colors will hopefully improve over the Winter and will lose the washed out appearance. Still satisfied with the overall body condition of the BG and YP - relative weights averaged well over 100 for both species - the goal is 120+. Forage base in this fishery consists of Northern Crayfish, Grass Shrimp, and Fathead minnows [Crayfish more for vegetation management]. Hope to hit it again the next several days - 14 degrees tonight should help build the larger pond ice. Felt good to finally hit the hard water!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
Sweet!

Awesome man!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Looking good! Very impressive results all around, I'm excited to see what lies ahead!

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
You gonna just sit there and smile with that pig or make the best YP dinner you ever had?

Awesome!!!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Good to see someone else is doing what Cody and Condello preached years ago and we all gleaned from.

Really nice fish TJ!

Enjoy that ice while you can. It might be short-lived!

I notice your perch are similar to mine in that they don't get the big bellies their counterparts in wild fisheries already have. If yours are like mine they will belly out just a few weeks before they drop their eggs. My guess is it's the pellet feed, but I hope that will change with the new optima feed.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/30/15 11:25 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Nice fish! I can still fish in my pond from shore - no ice at all.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
T
Nice fish there TJ. I have never ice fished but maybe someday I will.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
C
C
Wow, some seriously nice perch there! TJ, you nailed it in your description of what crayfish did to your pond. Chocolate milk!! That is what my pond was like all last year. No vegetation, partly from crayfish, partly from no sun penetrating the chocolate color.

You need to share some tips on how to trap enough to make a dent! I know, once I get some SMB or HSB in there hopefully they can clean up the smaller crayfish and I'll have to trap some of the adults. I don't mind keeping some in there for vegetation control too.

We have slush on a very thin layer of ice on the pond but with warm days coming again I'm hoping for a complete thaw and then a cold snap to get that nice clear ice for skating!

I added the soilfloc polymer this fall. The polymer makes the bottom more 'sticky' as if there is a clear film over it. When you scratch a stick on the bottom it doesn't puff out in a silt cloud anymore. I wonder if I had the same number of crayfish left in there and if they continued to try to dig out the vegetation if the polymer would keep the silt stuck together more and I would still have good clarity despite their cleaning up the vegetation?

The water has stayed clear from the day I did the polymer application till now and the crayfish are still there. It is kind of eerie to see the contrast of a clear ice layer with schools of brilliantly orange goldfish slowly cruising by just under the ice.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Sweet fish!!! Putting in a few single sex SMB for crayfish control?

W
W
Awesome!!

No ice down here! In fact, we just turned our AC off day before yesterday!

Keep This Forum Viable, Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Congrats buddy. Your plans are working, and you're having fun because of that. That's exactly what all the time/effort/money should be about.

Tracy, I got to ice fishing last year with some of my PB buddies, and it certainly wasn't what I expected. I get the whole slide a shed out on the water, drill your holes, and fish deal, but the PB guys I was with work hard at this. Multiple ice augers and flashers were used to drill probe holes, and target the same areas that we would in non-iced water. It was actually pretty cool. Being the only Texan there, I required copious amounts of babysitting, and I got that in spades. In short, do it if you get the chance.

Two things come to mind about that trip. The first was when I got to Nate's, layered up, and headed down to the hard water for the first time. I saw what looked like a huge stationary armadillo at the far end of the pond, so I headed that way to hit it with a stick. I know it was the Texan in me, but it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. It was Tony, and he was hunkered over a hole and concentrating intently. I learned that was the position of choice over the next few days.

The second thing is that fishing with the graph/jig/line watching combo was a blast. Most of the bites were very light, and being able to see the fish with a graph/flasher coming closer to the jig, and hopefully rising to hit it was very cool. You really have to concentrate, or you'll completely miss the bite. Tracy, imagine T-rig line watching times 4. It won't be my last trip for sure, and I'm still fighting the urge to buy some Arctic Armor.

I'm glad my northern buddies are starting to get the ice they love.

AL

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Great to see you back in your element, TJ!

I know you already are doing so, but please be extra careful on the ice, if you go out to the pond by yourself.

Looks like a blast TJ. Nice fish.
I'll have to do a little reading up on ice fishing. Just drill a hole in the ice, and drop a line? How do you decide where? And what are you dropping down that hole in the ice?
My pond was just icing up around the edges when I left yesterday.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
Hard water fishing is like none other. Can't wait for a chance to do some here.

TJ those YPs look awesome...how about an 'after' shot, with corn meal applied?

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
TJ,

What are you using for bait?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot

Maybe it's the Texan in me coming out, but I'd be perfectly happy if I didn't have any ice all year long.

OTOH, I don't want the 100° temps during the summer either!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Originally Posted By: esshup

Maybe it's the Texan in me coming out, but I'd be perfectly happy if I didn't have any ice all year long.

OTOH, I don't want the 100° temps during the summer either!

California.. No thanks..

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
R
RER Offline
R
NICE YP!

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Rainman
Sweet fish!!! Putting in a few single sex SMB for crayfish control?

One 12" SMB - sex indeterminable stocked in panic in September during the crayfish roundup. It should be fat and happy.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: dlowrance
Hard water fishing is like none other. Can't wait for a chance to do some here.

TJ those YPs look awesome...how about an 'after' shot, with corn meal applied?

LOL - naw, these are my pets, being raised hopefully into trophy status. The goal of the fishery is for every YP to exceed 13", and every BG to exceed 10". Can't get there with them in peanut oil. I will harvest some males from the main pond this year, however.

Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
TJ,

What are you using for bait?

Waxworm/Pelkie tungsten took all the fish yesterday - didn't mess with fatheads, thankfully didn't have to. Bite was brisk - schools of YP coming through every 10 minutes. One of the joys of ice fishing a micro pond, if you drill enough holes, you will eventually find them and can drop a jig onto their noses if the bite is tough. Underwater optics make the search effort so much easier and cuts a lot of time and effort one can apply to angling instead of searching.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
That ice is fake! There is no ice out there! grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/31/15 01:23 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Al, thanks for not hitting me with a stick. Never realized just how close I came.

That was such an awesome outing, definitely one of the best trips ever.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Lunker
OP Offline
Lunker
Congrats buddy. Your plans are working, and you're having fun because of that. That's exactly what all the time/effort/money should be about.

Tracy, I got to ice fishing last year with some of my PB buddies, and it certainly wasn't what I expected. I get the whole slide a shed out on the water, drill your holes, and fish deal, but the PB guys I was with work hard at this. Multiple ice augers and flashers were used to drill probe holes, and target the same areas that we would in non-iced water. It was actually pretty cool. Being the only Texan there, I required copious amounts of babysitting, and I got that in spades. In short, do it if you get the chance.

Two things come to mind about that trip. The first was when I got to Nate's, layered up, and headed down to the hard water for the first time. I saw what looked like a huge stationary armadillo at the far end of the pond, so I headed that way to hit it with a stick. I know it was the Texan in me, but it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. It was Tony, and he was hunkered over a hole and concentrating intently. I learned that was the position of choice over the next few days.

The second thing is that fishing with the graph/jig/line watching combo was a blast. Most of the bites were very light, and being able to see the fish with a graph/flasher coming closer to the jig, and hopefully rising to hit it was very cool. You really have to concentrate, or you'll completely miss the bite. Tracy, imagine T-rig line watching times 4. It won't be my last trip for sure, and I'm still fighting the urge to buy some Arctic Armor.

Hilarious...almost broke a rib just now laughing.

Tony is committed - when I was just rolling out of bed he had been on the ice in very frigid temps solo fishing since sunup. He did very well, too. His level of passion rivaled that of Condello. Wish you were here, T, enjoying the ice. Hope some comes your way soon - otherwise you'll have to come out here and fish with Al and myself in January.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
Prayers needed
by Zep - 04/25/24 10:36 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/24/24 06:40 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Theo Gallus - 04/24/24 05:32 PM