Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,961
Posts557,957
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
7 members (Lake8, Sunil, J. R., FishinRod, Jason D, Perch Pond, Augie), 1,533 guests, and 392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Originally Posted By: John F
Spark: Me too. If I think I can do a project, and do it fairly safely, I will do it and own it. We are fairly healthy, retired, and have the time, especially in fall and winter. If we were rich, then I would hire things out more, but I would still be watching the work to make sure it was done like I wanted. We will finish this little project in due time. My goal was by spring, but it might be sooner, depending on weather. The original post was just venting about how impossibly grown up the fence row is, with an amazing variety of bushes and brambles and how frustrating it is that someone would build an arbitrary fence like that, and leave it to grow over. BTW, I have done a few concrete jobs with many 80 pound bags of concrete mix in a wheelbarrow too. (Three in the past 26 months). I hired the pond renovation job, and the minnow pond job because I knew it was impossible for me to do by myself. I don't do my own metal roofing any more either. A man has to know his limitations. (Where did I hear that?)

+1 I have reached the point that, while I know how to do it, the mind is willing but the body is on the downhill side of the slope. I do what I can and am reluctantly forced to hire out the rest. My wife gives contractors cookies to keep them from killing me while I "supervise!" grin

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/21/15 08:54 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Tony:

Next time you have a cement job, you are more than welcome to borrow my mixer. I have one that is like this:

Small Mixer

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
L
L
The wire in the mix is what kind of makes the project nasty for you. Not many machines I know of will not get tangled up in it. I have unfortunately run over old fence wire mostly buried in dirt with an old brush hog, and it made a fantastic knot under the deck. It took a lot of time to get it off, only to find it ruined the bearings so the transfer case leaked oil.

I would nuke the fence line with Glyphosphate, wait until the vegetation dries, and then lay down a line of diesel-soaked burlap bags along the fence line along with other spare brush to burn the whole line off. The hope would be to burn off enough vines to allow tie up of the wire and drag it off into an open area with a truck. Roll the wire up on remaining fence posts and dispose or complete burning and dispose.

And yes, if you are not bleeding (within reason) or don't have a messed up back after working, you are doing it all wrong.

T
T
Originally Posted By: Bill D.

+1 I have reached the point that, while I know how to do it, the mind is willing but the body is on the downhill side of the slope. I do what I can and am reluctantly forced to hire out the rest. My wife gives contractors cookies to keep them from killing me while I "supervise!" grin

X 2.......I have used up my body through decades of DIY projects.

I really enjoy watching others do it for me now.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I suppose the time comes when we all slow down and ask for help. However in my case, I don't see myself ever enjoying that particular aspect. It's just too ingrained that I take ownership of my own projects.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
OP Offline
J
I made about 40 feet of progress today. Feels good.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Nice John! I know exactly what you're feeling.....keep at it!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You know how you eat an elephant?

One bite at a time.

John, that fence row will be done before you know it. That's the way to do it, keep plugging away at it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
T
T
John,
I also have spent many long days trying to clear out fence rows.I found a 18 volt reciprocating saw with an assortment of pruning and demo blades to be handy.The saw blades will cut thru wire and wood.These saws are also safer to use when pruning along the ground or overhead and the blades are cheaper to replace than chainsaw chains.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
My mom was 82 and had some young gal over once a month ta clean the house. Now my family never had "extra" money. Each time after the gal would leave my mom would go around and re-do what the young gal did. I asked mom why she did that. She simply said "she doesn't do it to my standards". I asked why do ya have her come back every month? She said "she needs the job".
There is much to be said about Old school.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
R
RAH Offline
Lunker
Lunker
R
We have removed a lot of internal fence rows on our place with hand tools and a lot of patience. Forks on a loader can really help lifting out old pig wire fencing though. We still have a few old fences to remove in a newly purchased wood block.

J
OP Offline
J
180 feet to go. With decent weather, about 8-10 days. I have only been hitting it a few hours at a time. The next 30 feet and the last 50 feet are very thick and tough.

J
J
John F I am also a John F...Monroe. I have a great farmer who farms my two small fields. My fence rows are over grown and I fretted about that since the cost for bulldozing was estimated at a lot of money. The back hoe is his and a favor was owed him from a friend with the big shovel. For three days and a hired laborer tore out the fence roe brush and trees. He offered to do it for almost nothing, but I will see he is compensated. I wish you could have this kind of luck. But I have done the blood, sweat and tears on my little piece of heaven over the years of hard work as you are getting into now. So good luck and enjoy the journey.

J
OP Offline
J
About 90 more feet and the fence is gone, and I can cut the last part freely without regard to running into wire.

Awesome! Just please remember there is a difference between cutting and eliminating. That stuff might be growing back come spring. IMHO I would hit the whole area with a herbicide early next spring.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you aren't yanking out the stumps, squirt the cut trees/shrubs with Tordon RTU.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

J
OP Offline
J
Definitely I don't want to mess with sprouting stumps; the vines will be enough to control. I think I will keep the vines mowed with the D-R until grass takes over. I don't want to kill out to bare ground due to the probability of erosion. About 67 feet of fence left to remove.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If you put the Tordon RTU in a coffee can and use a paint brush to paint the cut surfaces, it will last longer (won't waste as much in overspray) and you can also "paint" the cut vines too.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

B
B
John, I have 3 small kids I can rent you but you will have to pay for travel and all their meals. They whine occasionally but usually step back into line when their dinner is on the line.

Made them clear and burn brush similar to yours this past fall. I usually use the chainsaw and the truck with a chain, drag it out and burn it. They move about 100ft every 4 to 6 hours. Still have about 800 feet to go. Best way, in my opinion, is to keep humping it, good luck sounds like you are close.

J
OP Offline
J
I have painted like that some stumps I have cut since I got the place in fall of 13. None of them have sprouted. Some of what I have cut is cedar, and those stumps don't sprout even without treatment. I might be finishing getting the fence out tomorrow, and then it will be all cleanup, D-R brush mower, and piling brush. Then on to the next fence row, but it is in less of a priority area.

S
S
From what I was told about the Cedar, you need to make sure and cut it below the lowest limb, even if it is a tiny one. If you get below all the limbs it will not re-grow, but if you leave a small lower limb it can grow from it.

That is just what I heard. I only cut a few myself.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
J
OP Offline
J
The small cedars also have a shallow root system. In most cases I have been able to pull them up by hand after wiggling them around.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Way to go, John. Almost there!

J
OP Offline
J
Fence is gone, brush all cleaned up except last 200 feet. I only need to clean up bushes now with a chain saw and use my D-R mower to mow the row of vines, and pile the remaining brush. I already have a huge brush pile. I could be finished in a week, weather dependent. The fence tangle being out really makes the finish a snap. Thanks for the encouragement.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Good going!!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cobra01, Dan123, micam5, Rich B, woodster
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by Lumberman1985 - 04/25/24 03:01 PM
Low Alkalinity
by ewest - 04/25/24 02:13 PM
Howdy from West Central Louisiana