Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,900
Posts557,086
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,414
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
10 members (Augie, IND1371, dg84s, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Fishingadventure, PRCS, Sunil, Theo Gallus, BillyE), 766 guests, and 285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#221703 06/14/10 10:05 AM
A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I finally finished redoing the mini pond which is about 1400 gal. now. The bubble bead filter and waterfall filter are keeping the water clean, no trace of nitrites or ammonia and the PH fluctuates between 7.4 & 8.2.
The PS's are hovering over the spawning tubs but nothing yet, we've had a cold June but Temps should start warming this week.

M
Lunker
Lunker
M
That is cool, more pics would be nice.

Thanks

A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
I'll get some photo's of the PS's when it stops raining.

C
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
C
Looks good AP!

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Yo AP that's a nice looking pond! My wife is NOT going to be happy you posted this pic, it looks as though I may just need to start thinking about one for my backyard-right where her rose bushes are... grin

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
That's beautiful.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It really is a nice job.
Are the 'coons required to wear a tux, or is black tie acceptable?

A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: Brettski
It really is a nice job.
Are the 'coons required to wear a tux, or is black tie acceptable?

Our coons just wear masks to dinner so that their clothes don't get dirty while dining in our garbage cans. smile

Surprised when I got home this afternoon to see the male and female doing a dance in the front tub, I took photo's as I walked up but the female took off when I got closer.
She's there but use your imagination.

Tonight the male guarding the tub where they spawned was very agitated.
The male guarding the other tub was quiet.

Here's the bubble bead filter.

The waterfall filter.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
AP,

What are you plans with the offspring? Will you move them or will there be enough zooplankton in the pond? Will you relocate the broodfish once the fry show up?

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker
AP

This is too cool. I would love to do something like this myself. I really enjoy your photos - your part of the country is special to me. Please keep em coming!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
AP,

What are you plans with the offspring? Will you move them or will there be enough zooplankton in the pond? Will you relocate the broodfish once the fry show up?

Cecil if I'm successful getting alot of offspring I'll try to get them out as soon as possible and put them in the 40 gal. tank I have. I have lots of artificial weeds in the pond for them to hide and also put in a small plastic fence cage with 1/2 inch mesh that they can take cover in.
I'll have to get some brine shrimp or other food made for fry, any suggestions?
The tub were I saw them spawning is still guarded by the male but he will eat when I throw food in, the male guarding the other tub won't eat.

TJ thanks for the kind words, the Northeast has some great country but I'm getting weary of the brutal winters(thank god for global warming grin), I've never been to Nebraska but someday hope to hit the road and visit all 50 states.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond

Cecil if I'm successful getting alot of offspring I'll try to get them out as soon as possible and put them in the 40 gal. tank I have. I have lots of artificial weeds in the pond for them to hide and also put in a small plastic fence cage with 1/2 inch mesh that they can take cover in.
I'll have to get some brine shrimp or other food made for fry, any suggestions?

I don't have any experience with brine shrimp but if you don't have any yet i would get them ASAP. Once they use up their yolk sacs they will need small enough food to eat right away or they will die.

My fish as you probably know, hatch in a fertilized pond, so their is already zooplankton for them to eat -- once they need it -- until they are large enough to feed train.

TJ thanks for the kind words, the Northeast has some great country but I'm getting weary of the brutal winters(thank god for global warming grin), I've never been to Nebraska but someday hope to hit the road and visit all 50 states.

Don't thank the GWing AP. The warmer it gets the more snow you will get. At least that is what scientists say. (Added system snows to your lake effect snow.) grin

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
AP nice pond and great idea. Brine shrimp or krill will work. Also you might find some fry powder or you could crush to powder some pellets.

Last edited by ewest; 06/20/10 07:38 AM.

ewest #222727 06/20/10 08:20 AM
S
Lunker
Lunker
S
Wow AP, great looking pond. I see a lot of love and hard work going into building that PS pond. Does your larger pond reproduce PS naturaly?

My PS are also still on their beds, but the fry of last year are getting big, some are approching two inches. The trout don't seem to have any inetrest in them, as there are still quite a few. I should have a good population next season if the water doesn't dry up compeletly this summer.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
AP,

If you send me your snail mail address via a P.M. I'll send you what I have left of freeze dried krill at no charge. The only catch is you'll have to either grind it up or crush it and then run it through some window screen to filter out the bigger pieces.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Cecil I appreciate the offer, if you don't have a use for them I would be glad to get them. Do you know how long it takes for newborn sunfish to use up their yolk sac?

Eric thanks for the idea, I have plenty of trout pellets if I need to crush some for the fry.

Scruffy my big pond has plenty of PS's that reproduce, but I kept the 10 largest ones in the RAS over the winter and now hope to get offspring from them and select the fastest growing ones, maybe a bigger PS down the road.
Hopefully your pond will keep enough water so all the fish survive, but if the worst happens have you decided to try sealing the ledge with cement?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Do you know how long it takes for newborn sunfish to use up their yolk sac?

Try this link AP. Everything that applies to bluegills should apply to pumpkinseeds.

http://www.ncrac.org/NR/rdonlyres/7BBF17EA-1CD1-411D-9F0B-723EABEF0E3E/49161/Sunfish_Culture.pdf

I'm thinking you should get the freeze dried krill today.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/24/10 01:42 PM.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Thanks Cecil, alot of info there, it looks like 3 to 7 days after hatching before they use up their yolk sac.
I still can't see anything hatching yet but their probably gonna be hard to spot.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Cecil the Krill came yesterday, my cat is enjoying the smell of the box it came in, I put it into a zip lock bag, should I keep it in the fridge?

Again thanks alot.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
AP once the PS start eating the krill well and you get ready to start trying pellets then put some krill into the crushed pellets. Work the stuff around in a plastic bag and let it sit overnight. That should help with the change over.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Cecil the Krill came yesterday, my cat is enjoying the smell of the box it came in, I put it into a zip lock bag, should I keep it in the fridge?

Again thanks alot.

I'd actually put it in the freezer. It won't harden or clump together as it's freeze dried. It's going to want to float at first. You may have to make a soup out of it to get them interested.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/27/10 04:12 PM.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Thanks for the advice guy's, I put the Krill in the freezer and I have trout pellets here if I need them later on.
The males are still guarding the nests but I don't see any little ones yet although the water clarity has diminished with the algae but tests today still show no ammonia or nitrites and a PH of about 7.5.
I don't want to use the Ultraviolet clarifier as long as the water tests good.
I don't know if it means anything but the male on the nest where I saw the female spawn is eating food but the male guarding the other nest will not eat.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker

I don't know if it means anything but the male on the nest where I saw the female spawn is eating food but the male guarding the other nest will not eat.

As you're probably thinking that may mean the male is done with his nest guarding duties, but if that was the case you should see some fry. Is it possible he ended up a tardface vs. the other one? smile

Any way you can hang a light bulb or flashlight over the pond at night to see if any fry collect under it? In the early stages they are very, very, small and you can only detect them with a light. The light wouldn't have to be there very long.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 06/27/10 04:16 PM.

A
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
A
Just went out to check for PS fry in the mini pond, I checked 2 weeks ago with a fluorescent light and saw some, but this time there's a Gazillion and they show up even better with a LED light.

Both of the spawning tubs are still being guarded.

Last edited by adirondack pond; 07/18/10 08:38 PM.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Are they feeding on anything yet?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 02:50 PM
1 year after stocking question
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 02:44 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Sunil - 03/28/24 12:39 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by esshup - 03/28/24 10:39 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
2024 North Texas Optimal BG food Group Buy
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/27/24 08:15 AM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday