Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts558,002
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
9 members (Sunil, esshup, Fishingadventure, Cliff76169, jmartin, JasonInOhio, FishinRod, Deancutler, JoshMI), 1,370 guests, and 203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#432116 12/20/15 11:14 AM
F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Hey guys,

Seems like i am not getting my pond property very soon. So , i am planning to buy a boat with a cabin, which is about 2500 lbs with an engine and other stuff(trailer not included).

This perhaps:

My question is i will use this boat like you use bass boats. So i will tow it to another place all the time.

I know lots of people here tow boats. I wonder how such a boat would affect my gas mileage? Let's say i have 20 MPG right now.

I know there are lots of variables but just make a guess. I am not after getting a very precise number. I just wanna make sure i won't pay more than twice for gas.

Edit : I use 2000 cc engine, 4 cylinder, 4 WD Pickup Truck. Diesel.

Last edited by Fatih; 12/20/15 11:53 AM.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I can't really speak for all, as I've mostly had small trucks for many years.

Several weeks ago dragged a trailer of about 2500 lbs., gross weight, a little more than 500 miles. My 4WD 4-cylinder Toyata Tacoma's usual highway milage dropped from about 22-24 mpg. A few weeks before that we used my buddies 4WD 6-cylinder truck to drag about a 3500-4000 gross weight trailer on that same route. His normal 18-21 highway mileage dropped to about 8-9 gallons on the same 500 mile trip.

My guess is that if you had a bigger truck than the ones I mentioned above, especially with a diesel, I'm not sure you would see such a dramatic drop.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
F
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
F
Fatih - Obviously, there are lots of variables, but I only lose a few MPG when I tow our boat.

If you are towing on flat ground at highway speeds, then wind resistance is your enemy. I live in Kansas (flat land) so when I tow at 55 MPH I get pretty good gas mileage. If I hurry to the lake at 73 MPH, then I really pay a price. The wind resistance will go up with the square of your velocity.

If you are towing in hilly terrain, then gravity is your enemy. I don't know your route in Turkey, but if you are towing in hill country with lots of traffic (and frequently have to get on your brakes), then I would say it is theoretically possible to cut your gas mileage in half.

Hope this helps.

When I tow my small farm tractor and trailer-approx. 3500 pounds- with my older Toyota Tundra, 4.3 l V 8, my mileage drops from 19 to 14 and can go lower if I climb the passes here on Colorado highways.
Many many years ago I would pull a 3500 pound travel trailer up into the logging woods with my 2400 cc Toyota 4x4 pickup. Mileage would drop from 22 to 9 and top speed was scarcely 50 mph on the flat. These results are from trips far above sea level: 5000 to 8000 feet elevation.
I have no experience with that Toyota diesel you have, but I can imagine your acceleration and cruising speed would drop dramatically as well as your mileage. Braking and avoiding uncourteous other drivers also becomes problematic with so little power. Of course, all drivers in Turkey are fully aware, mindful, considerate, and will give you plenty of room on the road, right??? Just like here in the states. Ha!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Fatih:

What truck do you have again? It's not only the engine size, but the gear ratio in the axles, etc.

Does your truck have a towing package? That usually includes a larger radiator, transmission cooler, etc.

Will the boat trailer have brakes? I MUCH prefer electric brakes over hydraulic (surge) brakes on a trailer.

Like others have said, flat ground you have to worry about wind resistance if the boat is larger than the tow vehicle (profile going down the road from the front).

In hilly country, you have to worry about the transmission and engine heating up from going uphill, and the brakes heating up from going downhill.

If the truck weighs 6,000 pounds and the boat, motor and trailer weigh 3,000 pounds you have increased your stopping distance by 50%. Typically that's what you have to worry about the most. You usually don't have to get up and going fast, but things happen when you have to stop fast.....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Fatih,

Just to add to what the others have said, my first stop would be the owner's manual to see what the towing capacity is for the vehicle. In addition to engine and drive train concerns, I would make sure other things like suspension design, hitch type and class, tire capacity, etc., that are often optional equipment, that your vehicle may or may not have, are capable of the load.

With respect to fuel mileage, I would expect a big drop as you will be working that little 2.0L 4 cylinder very hard, diesel helps.

Just adding my 2 cents

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/20/15 04:51 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
B
As mentioned, check to make certain your vehicle can handle the load, Fatih. Halving gas mileage means less when you blow the transmission because your vehicle doesn't have a tranny cooler or a deep tranny pan capable of holding more fluid, etc.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If you can afford a boat like that...F the mileage!!!

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
To be honest, if it was me and I was planning on moving the boat very often or very far, I would either buy a smaller boat or a bigger truck.

Edit: My little 2011 4WD Ford Ranger is a 4.0L 6 cylinder, is equipped to the max and supposedly will tow 5800 pounds. No way I would want to tow that boat though more than on a very rare occasion.

Last edited by Bill D.; 12/20/15 07:47 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
J
That boat is too big for a small truck. It might not even pull it up the ramp. Small vehicles and relatively large boats have resulted in many bad situations. I would want a diesel F250 or F350 size truck to pull that.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I second the notion that you need a larger tow vehicle. There's a big difference between "it will do it once in awhile, but just barely", and a vehicle where you hook it up and go without a concern.

I favor a situation whereby a mechanical device is not operating at it's absolute extreme limits.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Fatih, another consideration will be safely stopping. When you hit the brakes that heavy boat will push your little pickup a long way.

I have a full sized Toyota Tundra and occasionally put my tractor on a trailer to take to a dealer 40 miles away. The 16 mpg goes to 8 and I don't go over 45 to maybe 50 mph. Even with the weight of my larger pickup I have trouble stopping. My 20 ft. Ranger bass boat has the same issues.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Fatih, IMO, everybody's advice is right on target. My first thoughts were the transmission and brakes when I saw the size of the boat. If you haven't already, the first time you pull the boat up the ramp will give you a fair idea of the power needed to pull the boat. Uphill from a standing start may be the toughest part of this whole deal.

On another note. Please tell us about the boat. Very nice rig and since it has one of the new Evinrude G2's on it (or maybe a pair of them), I'm assuming it's new. Sonar, GPS, weather stations, tell us all about it.

AL

F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Ken, fishingrod, 4cornerspuddle, Scott, Bill, basslover, Bob, John, Spark , Dave and Allen.

Thanks guys.

There is a lot to answers.

- In spefications, my car can tow 1800 lbs(trailer) or 6500 lbs(trailer with brakes).
- Paying twice for gas is all right. Hopefully it is not gonna be more than this.
- At first , when Scott said "you will have brake problems" i didn't give much shit. He always loves to tell me negative stuff. laugh But i read that online too. Seems like this really is a problem. I gotta check how much those trailers with brakes will cost. Hopefully not very expensive.
- I started to consider a boat that is 750 lbs lighter. That might help.
- The reason i can't get a larger car is because the annual tax will double if i get 2.1 engine instead of 2.0. If i get 3.5 engine , the tax will be 4 time larger. Do you know how i already pay for 2.0? 1000 bucks annually. It is sick... It is funny that people already call me stupid when they hear i got a 2.0 engine car. Everybody has little cars here.

- No guys. It is not like you think. That boat is not 50 grand worth. With and engine that sort of a boat will cost me something like 25 grand. So , i am not really rich.

- Allen, using such a big boat in freshwater is something unheard in my region. Even rich people use stupid little boats here. Like this. Funny huh?

No man. I can't spend anything for luxury stuff. Boat is expensive enough for me right now smile . I will get a fish finder for sure though.

I haven't decided on the model of the boat but it will have a 50 HP Mercury of Yamaha on it. Everyone gets a Yamaha if they can afford it.

There is a great deal for this boat, if i pay tomorrow. Despite its ugly look, this boat has a very good reputation here. Very durable for bad weather conditions. It is little too big though. 20 ft.

http://www.rotaboat.com/gal_cat-fisher-660-7.htm?sessionid=6ddfc90bfa9126657aa60e53bba4a7cb

Last edited by Fatih; 12/21/15 01:20 PM.
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Fatih, anytime a deal must be done right away, something is usually not good. Pressure to buy right now is a common way to get folks to make a bad decision. You do not need a boat tomorrow so check the same boat from several sources.
As far as that funny little boat, it looks like a fine boat for two guys to fish from. Some folks think they need a palace for a few folks, I've always liked to keep it simple and realistic.

J
J
That looks like a good enough boat. You should see mine; you would laugh, but it gets the job done.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Fatih, you and the boys were up here in Grand Haven. 104 (Savidge St.) goes west and up around to the drawbridge.

There is a marina before you hit Old Boy's going west.

All summer long there was this stunning Boston Whaler out front. The temptation was great, but had to turn away.

Oh heck, I might as well add my 2 cents, and after being on this forum for 3 1/2 years and hearing things I didn't want to hear (reason), you may not like some of this either, Fatih. Sorry frown .

But we've all been in the same boat (pun intended), having our heart set on buying something and having others telling us things we really need to hear, but don't want to.

For starters, gas mileage on the towing vehicle will be the least of your worries. If gas prices are high, wait until you fill the boat, over and over again. Even if they're not and you have a boat unlike any others around, you'll have "friends" wanting to go fishing and boating, but not pitching in. And How much will it cost to fill the boat and truck? Is this a cost each time you take it out?

You've already read about the vehicle issues with brakes, transmission, excessive wear and tear etc. And if it goes down, or doesn't do the job? Then what?

How close is the nearest boat repair shop and what do they charge per hour?

Other than the motor a boat only has to float, so what could go wrong? Electrical and electronics should all be checked closely! Does the live-well work properly? The bilge pump? Is the floor soft in ANY areas of the boat? And most importantly is checking the transom! This is where the motor is attached to the back of the boat. Raise and lower the motor (assuming it has power tilt/trim) and see if the transom is weak. With the motor up, lightly bounce the motor up and down looking for weakness in the transom. And if it's weak at all, run away! Replacing a boat floor is very expensive, but replacing a transom could break the bank. It's one of the most overlooked weaknesses of a used boat with an outboard motor.

Then there's the motor which also needs to be checked out thoroughly. How has it been used and maintained? Again, engine/boat repair can be very expensive! And winterizing a motor is fairly simple but must be done! And how many batteries does the boat have? Are they good? If not, here they're close to or more than $100 each, and usually only last 2-3 seasons. And will you be able to keep them on an automatic charger when stored? Or will you have to charge them before each outing?

This is why some people refer to their boat as a money-pit!

Storage. Will the boat be stored inside or out? If outside, consider wear and tear from the weather. Or the cost and upkeep of a boat cover.

Boat & trailer taxes, licenses and possibly inspections?

Cost of live bait each time you go fishing?

Also be sure and check the wheel bearings on the trailer. If they go out, it will be when you're in the middle of nowhere and likely having to leave your boat stranded until you find parts and tools to replace them on the highway.

And before I go on to the positives of owning a boat, is there the slightest possibility a boat could cause problems at home? It wouldn't be the first time it became grounds for a few unpleasant arguments with the wife & family.

On the good side, for me I could never go without one. But I'm fortunate(?) to be single and get a lot of use out of it, in the pond and out. For fishing yes, but for me it's more about nature and the surroundings. Of course I want to catch fish, that's the challenge, but I could also just sit in the middle of a lake and drift for hours. For me there's just something about being on the water that puts me at peace. Maybe you noticed that when we were on our trip (when I wasn't giving you a hard time smile )

It will surely offer you, and hopefully Kubra and Tuna a lot of pleasure and fun but there will also be a few headaches along the way. I think the others here will likely agree. Actually, we could probably start a full thread of boating headaches!

Fatih, it probably sounds like I'm trying to talk you out of getting a boat but I certainly am not! And just as the folks here on the forum try to help others not make mistakes they and others have made, I (and others) are just trying to do the same for you. And I know you've thought of most of these things already, but if not maybe something I've mentioned may help.

So with that being said, I as well as others are excited for you, we're anxious to see pictures of your new boat, the stories to go along with it, and especially pictures of the fish you will catch!

Here's a little fishing and boating fun to watch!
https://youtu.be/UeEIXsz4o5g

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
"For me there's just something about being on the water that puts me at peace."

Yep! Even if the waves are poking 4-6 feet above static levels on the lake.

One thing I did not anticipate this year is someone would call it on a few 3 foot ripples.

That kinda ticked me off a bit, but it's their boat, and ultimately their responsibility for everyone.

As I told you, a few boats went out in that mess and scored. They lived to tell about it.

Was quite rough tho, but could have been an experience to remember.

Next time?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
BTW, my 20 ft Ranger has been on the water about 3 times in the last 20 years. My Wife has given up on getting me to sell it. It's the first of the Pro fishing models and it used to go a lot.

I just don't get around to using it like I used to. And, since it just sits there I probably need to buy new batteries(again), trailer tires, etc. I license it and the trailer every year. Why? I'm just not very bright.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
G
G
There's a couple of old sayings here in the US which often ring true: (1) "A boat is nothing more than a hole in the water into which you throw your money, and the bigger the hole/boat the more money you throw into it." (2) "The best two days to own a boat are the day you buy it, and the day you sell it."

I hope you enjoy your new boat, Fatih. I certainly enjoyed mine when I was younger, but nowadays you couldn't pay me to take possession of anything larger than a jon boat. laugh

P
P
Down here in Texas the wave heights average 3-5' a lot of time. On chartered trips we would go until it was 6-8'. Very miserable day and hard to fish in that. Offshore fishing in that is a love-hate thing..... Back to the towing. Around here 4 wheel drive is a must just to pull the boat out of the water. A 3-4 ton truck with 4 wheel drive is the best option for 25' boats with twin 200's and tandom trailers with brakes. A good quality boat is not lite. Some weights listed are for boat only. Motor, battery's ,fuel , gear add up real quick.

I've got 3 boats, and a yak. I'm pretty sure my boss won't allow another seafaring vessel of any type to park here.

I think the cherry 1983 Monarch I bought from DD1 was the final straw. Or it could have been the seeing the same boat stripped to the hull while I was running 24V wiring and networking cables. Either way, I've been told no more boats.

AL

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Keith, you're worrying me. That may have been the most common sense post I've read for some time. Careful or you will be up there with Sparky, DD, Catman, BC, Cecil, etc etc.
DD, old habits die hard. A friend of mine bought a 78 Ford 1/2 ton brand new. Drove it for a looong time and then parked in his front yard. Sat there for quite a few yrs till his wife told him move it or me. Unfortunately he can't cook and the truck was sold to his nephew with the stipulation that if said nephew ever sold it, my friend has first option.

F
Fatih Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Keith, danggg. I don't want a boat anymore, after reading what you think smile .

Yes, you(and Phil) were probably right. So, i am not buying that boat. I will think about it little more.

My wife is not very happy about it(of course). If you are buying a huge boat in the middle of a desert , then of course you will have some problems with your wife. Hehe.

And i am aware, that boat means trouble ! But i gotta have one. I hate being on the bank. And i gotta have one with a shader and a cabin, because i hate being exposed to sun(as you know) , and i want to stay on the lake overnight.

I read a topic on a forum of car racers, who tow their cars behind all the time. And it was good to know that all those trucks towing 10,000 lbs trailer , averages at least 12 mpg , which is quite ample for me. I don't need anymore.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by esshup - 04/28/24 09:41 PM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner