Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 666 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
With North Texas receiving record rain so far this year I am moderately concerned I am losing some fish thru my drain-pipe in my dam. The main pond does flow into a smaller lower pond so that may catch some of the fish, but the smaller bottom pond has a drain pipe that empties into a creek that is dry about half the year.

My question is how do you guys with a single large gravity drain that runs thru the dam address this issue?

I have considered placing a grate over the opening of the pipe but have been told if I do that and debris gets trapped against the grate it can create other larger issues than just losing some fish.

I am only there primarily on weekend so I can not "keep an eye on a grate for blockage buildup". Is there any thing to do??? besides knowing that I am probably losing fish that Overton's won't give me a refund on...lol

Fishing has never been about the fish....

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Mark, I lose some when the rare overflows occur. This year I got enough rain, about 65 inches in the last 12 months, that a decent sized hole appeared behind the dam due to the force of the water. I trapped about 25 bg and then they got trap shy. 4 Months went by with NO rain and the hole just about dried up and I'm sure that some died. This morning it is again full after the recent rains. It's still draining. I know some more went but, due to water temps, I doubt that as many were that high in the water column.

My neighbor who has a pond about 100 yards down hill from me says that he now has both water that ran off from my place and small fish from my pond.

My forage pond overflowed this year into my creek that was previously dry. I walked along tossing pellets to the fish. Then, after the long dry spell the creek dried up. This morning it is again running and I'll bet that it has fish.

But, your question was what you could do about it. To the best of my knowledge, not one dang thing. If you try to impede the fish with netting, you also risk stopping up the pipe with trash. If that happens, real problems could develop that just might lose all of your fish.

Al told me me the other morning that he could hear his siphon making a lot of noise after a big rain. You know that he had to get a number of fish sucked through that. But, once again, that is the least of worries when the impoundment needs relief.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
T
T
The pond at my old place spills over a limestone bedrock spillway. It's a great spillway, but during high runoff, I've watched small sunfish being carried away to the normally dry stream bed below. It wasn't a good feeling, but it didn't seem to hurt my SF population. More than enough stayed in the pond. Most species try to resist the flow.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Zep I don't have any answers, but the scenario you describe is exactly why, in my opinion, what we put into our ponds matters so much. Sooner or later it all becomes (and affects) community property.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
T
T
I don't want to think about the fish I am loosing.

The sound volume of the water going over my spillway is spectacular.

I may go below the dam with a net this week and see if I can find any that are stranded.

Mark, I bet we all lost a few fish this weekend, but I'd sure be careful about adding a grate over the pipe.

Here's what I use, and so far so good. The guard itself is not flat against the pipe, so small trash, and a few small fish, will get through it fine. It's easy to clean with a garden rake too. With all the weather we've had this year, the siphon has run for weeks at a time, and it hasn't required a clean out once. Rat Guard

To me, this is just a best case, worse case scenario. Losing fish is a lot better than taking a chance of the siphon getting blocked on another weekend like this one, and all the problems that could create.

AL

Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Zep I don't have any answers, but the scenario you describe is exactly why, in my opinion, what we put into our ponds matters so much. Sooner or later it all becomes (and affects) community property.

Tony, when me and the TPWD were having our go around about me getting grass carp permits, the biologist that came out actually seemed surprised that keeping the GC in my pond was a priority to me. Once I explained to him that I needed to always know how many were here to be able to make good pond management decisions, he pushed the permit right through. I meant it, and I think he saw that.

A GBH got a young one, so I guess I'm down from 50 to 49.

AL

I hate to see GBH at my puddle but then I think, it could be worse, I could have WT. Anyway, I read up on it and it is not legal to shoot either one but it is legal to harass them. Is a 22LR round next to them harassment? I think so! grin

I also allow up to 6 geese on the puddle. More than that and I "harass" them! grin

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/30/15 08:43 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Thanks guys.

Al I had forgot about those...you think that would be relatively safe in the type of drain I have? I think my pipe is 36 inch, but I need to measure to make sure. I assume the grill is powder-coated. You wouldn't see a problem with spray painting it black would you?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Originally Posted By: sprkplug

Tony, when me and the TPWD were having our go around about me getting grass carp permits, the biologist that came out actually seemed surprised that keeping the GC in my pond was a priority to me. Once I explained to him that I needed to always know how many were here to be able to make good pond management decisions, he pushed the permit right through. I meant it, and I think he saw that.

A GBH got a young one, so I guess I'm down from 50 to 49.

Nice going, Al. Perhaps the biologist just wasn't used to dealing with someone who took the responsibility seriously.

Noticed a Heron here this past weekend.... Haven't seen one in months, knew it couldn't last.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Al/FireIsHot I bought this today. Will let ya know how it goes.

BTW...I asked and she said they would be glad to powder-coat
it black instead of yellow for free.

Agri Drain

Mark, I think you made a great decision. Hopefully it'll never be needed, but mine has kept the siphon open several times, so I'm sure glad I have it.

If you need a hand, call me when it gets here, and I'll run over and help you install it. It installs PDQ, but it does take a bit of adjustment.

Glad they painted it black for you.

AL

Zep Offline OP
Hall of Fame 2014
OP Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Thanks Al. She said it might take a few extra days because all the ones in that category they have in stock are yellow and they will do mine in black. I may take you up on that offer if you have time...the way my pipe sits it may take a bit of redneck engineering to get it just right. Talk soon...

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM