Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (anthropic, esshup), 743 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
OP Offline
B
Some of you may have seen my previous post either here or under controlling unwanted plants. Bill Cody has convinced me that having a professional firm come out to recommend a way forward and provide a cost estimate to fix our pond. Can anyone recommend a pond manager in the Kansas City, MO area or know of a firm that would be willing to travel here to take a look? Thanks in advance for your help.

Brian

Last edited by BWHolmgren; 12/01/13 12:37 PM.
T
Lunker
Lunker
T
Start with Shawn Banks www.midwestlake.com,If he cant help he may be able to direct you to who can.

B
OP Offline
B
Thanks Ted, I'll give him a try!

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Shawn is a good choice !!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I fully endorse Shawn Banks to help anybody in the KC area. That man knows the entire realm of pond management. He has helped me on many occasions. He is creative, hard working and conservative. I think the world of him.

Holding a redear sunfish is like running with scissors.
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for the recommendations, I will contact him tomorrow to see what we can do!

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Conservative?

confused

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/02/13 09:30 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Conservative?

confused

I will let Bruce answer what he meant. My take was he meant is in his recommendations and use of resources (his and the owners).

Calm down Cecil there is no conspiracy. Word usage in its common form. grin

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Not upset Eric. Just didn't know we meant. I hear that word in a different context on a daily basis. grin

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/02/13 04:38 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
I understand -- just jerking your chain a bit ! grin

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Conservative?

confused

Will not oversell you.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Got it. wink

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/02/13 09:11 PM.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
It's a term used probably more in dentistry than pond management. LOL

B
OP Offline
B
I talked with Jeff Slipke at Midwest Lake Management, and his recommendation was to treat with Fluridone at 90ppm to tackle water meal, aerate, and add beneficial bacteria to decrease the muck layer and help guard against an FA bloom. Bill Cody has suggested decreasing the size of the pond while digging out muck to get a fresh start. I have seen dredging equipment
http://www.piranhapump.com/ that would allow us to remove the silt, although it would be a drawn out, labor intensive project. Still more research to do to find the best compromise for the long haul. Thanks for the recommendations.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Deciding between advice given from Jeff Slipke and Bill Cody, is like choosing what football play to run after consulting with Bobby Bowden and Knute Rockne.

J
J
What's the size of the pond? It might be more beneficial to drain and dig it out and start fresh.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: jludwig
What's the size of the pond? It might be more beneficial to drain and dig it out and start fresh.

I second that. I had my .62 acre pond "dipped" with a monster size excavator several years after it was built and it was the best thing I ever did.

Lunker
Lunker
I agree ^. In the long run it will save you money to drain and re-dig, that's what I did. I bought a submersible trash pump at a yard sale for $35 and pumped the pond out myself.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
B
OP Offline
B
It is currently 2.5 acres, but almost half of that is only 3 feet deep, and that is why Bill Cody recommended making it smaller on redigging.

B
OP Offline
B
Talking with Jeff more, he thought I was dollar constrained and gave me the lowest cost way to have a usable pond. He is right, I am dollar constrained, but I want to get an estimate on the full range of options and then see if I can find the money. Like the pond, this is a fluid process with lots of compromise.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I am looking at it long term not short term. Midwest Lk Management is looking at it short term. Both are options as noted by Bruce's post above . Yes - I think that the large area of shallow water is a majority of everyone's pond problems. For all - note that practically all your pond problems occur in shallow water not in the central deep portion of the pond. Constantly battling plant growth that insists growing in shallow nutrient rich water gets quite expensive, labor intensive, and creates lots of aggravation for the long term. BWH is on a low budget thus my suggestion to down size the pond when rebuilding which will reduce the total cost. A 0.5 to 1 ac pond can be very practical, productive, and enjoyable if it is relatively low maintenance compared to a large, shallow, weed infested, expensive to maintain, headache.

Every year you pour a significant amount of money into trying to make a problematic pond usable and attractive is taking away money from the ultimate pond fix of rebuilding it assuming the pond condition warrents rebuilding.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 12/04/13 10:08 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
J
J
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
I am looking at it long term not short term. Midwest Lk Management is looking at it short term. Both are options as noted by Bruce's post above . Yes - I think that the large area of shallow water is a majority of everyone's pond problems. For all - note that practically all your pond problems occur in shallow water not in the central deep portion of the pond. Constantly battling plant growth that insists growing in shallow nutrient rich water gets quite expensive, labor intensive, and creates lots of aggravation for the long term. BWH is on a low budget thus my suggestion to down size the pond when rebuilding which will reduce the total cost. A 0.5 to 1 ac pond can be very practical, productive, and enjoyable if it is relatively low maintenance compared to a large, shallow, weed infested, expensive to maintain, headache.

Every year you pour a significant amount of money into trying to make a problematic pond usable and attractive is taking away money from the ultimate pond fix of rebuilding it assuming the pond condition warrents rebuilding.

Understandable. I did not know the exact details of the situation but there are always alternatives and different ways to achieve one's goal. This is what is great about Pond Boss. There are a variety of solutions possible.

B
OP Offline
B
I thought I'd provide an update on our pond. We were unable to do anything on it until the landowner I co-owned the pond with sold me his land. I guess I could have done something, but did not want to spend money to maybe increase the value of his land that I wanted to buy at some time, and he was unwilling to spend anything. We hired a construction contractor in August, punched several holes in the dam, drained it and pushed the muck out of it. While doing this, we made the pond deeper and used the spoils to shrink the size of the pond. Now the minimum depth is closer to 7 feet, and the maximum depth is 13 feet. The pond is a little smaller at about 2.3 acres versus 2.5 acres originally. We also had the contractor remove a fair number of willows so we have better access to the pond; before there was only about 30% of the pond we could get to easily. We still have lots of renovation to do around the pond, but after some big Thanksgiving rains, the pond is only a few feet shy of full. We couldn't be happier. The dirt work ran over 3 weeks, and we feel fortunate the total price tag came in right around $30,000. Now to plan some aeration, habitat, and start stocking next spring. Let me know if you have any questions.

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Congrats! Midwest can help you stock the pond, now. What type fishery are you interested in?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
OP Offline
B
We were looking at doing the Conservation Department standard of Blue Gill, Catfish and Largemouth Bass. Our understanding is we'd do Blue Gill and Catfish in the spring and then Largemouth Bass in the fall. What we're less sure of us how to build habitat that is meaningful, whether or not to fertilize, and whether or not to feed the blue gill. We're also not sure how to lay out an aeration system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails