Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
3 members (Boondoggle, catscratch, Steve Clubb), 1,032 guests, and 206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Another vote for getting a Ruger 10-22. They are nice versatile guns, relatively cheap to shoot, low recoil, and will be good training/plinking/varmint gun for under 100 yds.

The AR platform is the equivalent of a 10-22 in a centerfire rifle. You can buy many different uppers for it, change them yourself and have a number of different rifles while only really buying "one" rifle.

As for self defense, I strongly recommend taking classes from a well known school. AND having your significant other do the same with you. The legalities change from state to state, and there are specific things that one really should do to not only protect your family from bodily harm, but to protect your family from financial harm if you get sued or taken to court. A friend of mine goes to a school in Alabama at least twice a year, and there are schools in Texas. If you want a recommendation, I can ask him - he's very well versed in home defense.

The school that he goes to has specific classes ranging from generic first time people to weapon and situation specific classes. i.e. vehicle vs. home, handgun vs. rifle vs. shotgun.

Whatever route you decide to take with a gun, when shooting please wear good hearing protection. If using foam ear plugs, make sure you know the proper technique to use when putting them in your ear. You don't just jam them in.

Words of advice from a guy with hearing loss due to shooting while using hearing protection....

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Heavy brush, now why don't M33 fragmentation grenades get their just due in these situations? If you hear a rustle, don't put yourself at risk figuring out who/what's making it, just roll one in and duck and cover. Just my $.02

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Heavy brush, now why don't M33 fragmentation grenades get their just due in these situations? If you hear a rustle, don't put yourself at risk figuring out who/what's making it, just roll one in and duck and cover. Just my $.02

TJ, if you want something that will work in heavy brush, try a .458 Win Mag shooting 500 grain solids. I have one if you want to try it when you're here, but I take no responsibility for bodily harm. The recoil calculator that I have says the following:
.223 Rem 3.2 foot pounds of energy, 5.1 fps recoil velocity
.30-30 10.6 fpe, 9.5 fps
.30-06 20.1 fpe, 12.1 fps
.300 Win Mag 26.2 fpe, 14.5 fps
.458 Win Mag 64.2 fpe, 21.4 fps

grin

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
esshup #429179 11/13/15 01:03 PM
T
T
Originally Posted By: esshup

TJ, if you want something that will work in heavy brush, try a .458 Win Mag shooting 500 grain solids. I have one if you want to try it when you're here, but I take no responsibility for bodily harm. The recoil calculator that I have says the following:
.223 Rem 3.2 foot pounds of energy, 5.1 fps recoil velocity
.30-30 10.6 fpe, 9.5 fps
.30-06 20.1 fpe, 12.1 fps
.300 Win Mag 26.2 fpe, 14.5 fps
.458 Win Mag 64.2 fpe, 21.4 fps

grin

.458 is a great round. I have really grown fond of the .35 Whelen over the last 5 years. I can shoot 300 yards with little correction and it blazes through brush. It also has the same energy at 100 yards as 30/06 does at point blank. I typically go with just the 200 grain Hornady SP in my 16" barreled Mini-G's.

I just got a new pond, I made it twice because I aint so bright.
L,

22LR's are great guns for practice,turtle management, snakes, and other critters, but if you are going to have only one gun, think 22mag in lever action. I love the caliber. I have taken several larger critters with one.

If you are going to "defend" your family and home, look at the NRA and FBI one shot, one stop statistics.

Also, the two things a bad person does not want to hear is "sick'em" and the sound of a 12 gauge pump shotgun being chambered.

Having more than one gives you options.

Like most have said, find one YOU like and practice, practice, practice.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
T
T
TJ, TEC,TEC,TEC u r so bad smile

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Lunker
Lunker
If I rolled onto your property with a case of M33's, you all know we'd be looking for the nearest beaver dam or one of those TX ant mounds to clear - especially after a few brewskis. C'mon...admit it!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

After enough Brewskies we would be discussing building a forage pond. Think of the cost savings! No equipment rental and no charge for hauling and grading the removed dirt! I'm thinking the right size charge, placed just right...ah heck..hold my beer and watch this! grin

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
If I rolled onto your property with a case of M33's, you all know we'd be looking for the nearest beaver dam or one of those TX ant mounds to clear - especially after a few brewskis. C'mon...admit it!

Got a BIG stump here..., in the sticks wink

D
D
Seen this .17 HMR by savage with the Remington rotary clip semi auto today. Nice nice little gat. You can get these in a 20 grain. If not the 22LR this would be the varmint gun of choice for me. 22 is great when you want to keep the fur but the 17 there is no keeping the pelt.

http://www.savagearms.com/launch/a17

Stock with trigger job. Nice scope great combo.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
L
OP Offline
L
Thanks for all the great advice. I like the idea of starting out with the 22LR, not looking to go hunting this season, so I'll revisit that need down the road. My kids (3 boys) are all under 10, so I can envision them taking to hunting as they get older. Sounds like The 22LR, would be a great choice for them to start learning about guns.

I also plan on cutting trails through our woods for hiking and four wheeling so I like the idea of a side arm while out walking the property. Maybe the best thing would be to go to a gun range and try a few out?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
After hearing what age your boys are, and in keeping with my spork analogy from an earlier post, I'm going to toss out my suggestion. What about locating a .22/.410 (or 20 gauge in a year or two) over under? Easy to shoot, great on small game, and practical experience with both a rifle and a shotgun.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
S
S
I bought a Henry lever action knowing that my grandsons would be shooting it.

My wife likes an automatic (edited correction for clarity: semi-automatic)but I explained my reasoning to her and after thought she agreed.

With an (edit" semi)automatic, once a round is fired there is another live round in the chamber and the safety is off. No way of me knowing if they had clicked the safety back on except verbal inquiry and even then what if they became confused which way was safe?

With a lever action, once a round is fired there is a dead round in the chamber. Only manually jacking the lever puts a fresh round in. It takes action to put another live round in the chamber. Also I can look over, and if the hammer is back, I know the gun is cocked and ready to fire. I can visually see this from several feet away. I could rarely see if a safety was in the on or off position.

One round at a time is enough for a youngster. My grandsons are teenagers. For someone younger I might even consider a single shot (which I have and they shot when younger).

Those are just my thoughts on why I chose a lever action 22LR for my grandsons to use (as well as myself - I like the gun). My reasoning only. Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by snrub; 11/28/15 12:14 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
D
D
I fully agree with snrub above. Even a bolt action or break barrel over under 22/410 or 22/20g. My most favorite gun growing up was a break barrel 20gauge. You learn to shoot skeet with 20 then competition with 12 its easy.

Cheers Don.

B
B
Originally Posted By: L's Pond
Thanks for all the great advice. I like the idea of starting out with the 22LR, not looking to go hunting this season, so I'll revisit that need down the road. My kids (3 boys) are all under 10, so I can envision them taking to hunting as they get older. Sounds like The 22LR, would be a great choice for them to start learning about guns.

I also plan on cutting trails through our woods for hiking and four wheeling so I like the idea of a side arm while out walking the property. Maybe the best thing would be to go to a gun range and try a few out?

Getting to a range where you can try different firearms is a great plan. If you've friends who have firearms they are willing to take you along and allow you to try them that also is a great idea.

With respect to the children, do some research and thinking before you hand the firearm over. Aside from the obvious safety rules for firearms consider what you may want for them down the road and then set your plan(s) in motion now. Such as cycling only one round at a time, at least for the initial outings, so there is only that one round loaded in the chamber and if someone drops the firearm or handles it in an unsafe manner (purposeful or accidental) there is no other round that could cause undesired consequences.

You may also want to instruct them from the outset to count their rounds as they push them downrange, to pick up their spent casings, to keep both eyes open and use both for sighting and visual awareness, and maybe even first aid training that covers what to do if there is an accident involving a firearm.

On the fun side of the flip coin, you can set up a shooting gallery for your boys to plink - cans, toys, stuffed animals, etc.

D
D
One other thought would be a BB gun. Our boys have been using BB guns for plinking for years before they used the 22 under my supervision. Learning with open sites and two eyes open first makes it much easier. Our youngest prided him self on learning the two eye thing and he is the best shot.

The middle boy is semi pro paintballer and can shoot with both hands incredibly well. Though I do not recommend this.... it is just happen stance that he learned this from nine years of age on for paintball. Its most important to be able to roll bunkers.

Gun safety is like leaning to wear your seat belt. Teach them safety over and over that it becomes the normal way to handle them.

Cheers Don.

snrub #429349 11/15/15 03:07 PM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: snrub
With an automatic, once a round is fired there is another live round in the chamber and the safety is off. No way of me knowing if they had clicked the safety back on except verbal inquiry and even then what if they became confused which way was safe?

An automatic gun, be it a rifle or a pistol is only legal to own if a few criteria are met. First one is that it cannot be manufactured after May 10, 1986.

Here is the other criteria if the date of mfg. is before that.

Pay a tax of $200. Fill out a lengthy application to register your gun with the federal government. Submit photographs. Submit passport photos. Get your chief law enforcement official to sign your application. Wait for the results of your background check to come back.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

I missed the "automatic" in the post. I just thought Snrub meant a semi-auto which will also leave that next round ready to go in the chamber.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
D
D
I think he may be talking semi auto.

Here in Canada a restricted fire arm is any hand gun, any gun that holds more then five rounds of center fire. Any gun with a barrel length shorter than 18"s.

You can get a restricted fire arms license but if police have intentions to speak with you, and they run that you have restricted fire arms, they do not need to knock on your door to come into your house. They can just walk into your house at any time with probable cause. This is only with restricted fire arms.

Now you can have 50 round .22 rim fire semi auto as long as the barrel is longer than 18"s with out being restricted.

The key factors is barrel length, and number of center fire rounds you have.

Cheers Don.

Bill D. #429377 11/15/15 08:11 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
I missed the "automatic" in the post. I just thought Snrub meant a semi-auto which will also leave that next round ready to go in the chamber.

Correct. My bad.

Probably not a good idea for him to go out and buy his kids a Tommy Gun either though.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
snrub #430223 11/27/15 10:20 PM
F
Lunker
Lunker
F
L - Congratulations on getting your land.

I apologize beforehand for throwing a little rain on your parade. If you are somewhat of a city slicker (like me), then being in the center of 14 acres in the heavy woods can make you and your kids feel like the only people on the planet.

The statement above is true - until you start firing a rifle! A .22LR round can easily leave your property. If your 14 acres are a square, then it is only 781 feet minimum to your nearest property line from the center. A .22 round (fired up at 30 degrees) can travel over a mile. If your kids are shooting at a chest-high target on a tree, it cannot go that far, but it can certainly go off your property. Trees do not make a reliable back-stop for wayward rifle shots.

I have a 300 acre property and we shoot rifles into a 20' high hill. I am still worried about skips when some of the guys shoot high-powered rounds. I am going to build a steep back-stop next time I have heavy equipment on the farm.

F
Lunker
Lunker
F
L - Now that I have the obligatory warning out of the way, I have one more recommendation to add to the pile. The Rossi matched pairs are a pretty awesome starting package for youth shooters. You take off one barrel and can switch to the other weapon in under two minutes. Rossi Combination Guns

We got the .22LR - 20 gauge combination for our son when he was eight. It consists of a single-shot 22, which is perfect for teaching new shooters. We got the 20 gauge barrel because Kansas law says that is the minimum for hunting turkeys. Otherwise, most kids would do better with the .410 for the shotgun.

The gun is very small and light. This makes it great for most kids, but it kicks too hard in 20 gauge for small children. One of my buddies got one for his three boys with the deer rifle barrel (.243WIN, I think). He has big, strong sons, and they did not like the kick.

Even better, mine came in a zippered case with a shoulder strap. I just measured - and it is only 22 inches long. We got it cheap when they were on sales at Dick's. (Maybe $159 about seven years ago.) I think I saw some at Cabela's the last time I went through.

Best wishes, and have great fun on your land with the family.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Yesterday, as usual, was the best day to buy a gun. They were on sale at a lot of places. $100 22's weren't unusual. Since Black Friday was reportedly a bust, guns will probably be on sale until New years Eve.

The one mile warning on a box of 22 ammo has been around for years but I have never found anything that proves it in the real world. Ballistic charts indicate that a 40 gr 22 bullet drops 97 inches, when fired without elevation, in 250 yards. At 1/2 mile, it drops 375 inches. Of course, the amount of powder can vary which somewhat changes the drop factor. Elevation and types of bullet can be the wild cards and are considered by all shooters. Even air density and wind can be a factor in the small chunks of lead.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Dave, I'm actually seeing 22LR on local shelves again. The price is still a little high, but it is finally available. Several online stores are selling 22LR in bulk for almost normal prices.

AL

D
D
If your interested in a really high end unit check out these guys.

https://www.volquartsen.com/

They build a "Fusion Take-Down Rifle" that you can change out barrels to different caliber. Arguably the best rifle ever built to date.

Cheers Don.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward