Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb, macman59, jm96
18,483 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,788
Members18,483
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,508
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 778 guests, and 246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
Have you ever wished you could learn lake management hands on for one week? Collecting data, interpreting data, data management, and learning what it means for fish population from top biologist. Unfortunately a camp like this does exist but it's only for your kids or grandkids ages 13-17.

In the fall of 2014, Steven Bardin and Dakus Gleesin approached me about volunteering for Bass Brigade camp. My first question, what is it and who is involved?

Bass Brigade camp is a leadership and conservation camp that focuses on largemouth bass and fisheries. This year’s camp was held at the Warren Ranch (http://www.warrenranch.net/) outside of Coleman Texas. Instructors are leading experts from federal, state, and private entities that work as fisheries managers or land use management.

This year I attended camp as cook and field instructor for bass brigade. There were 24 cadets from various backgrounds, this camp is not limited to boys only and girls are encouraged to attend. The cadets were then divided into schools and upon arriving they were immersed into learning new skills.

The camp is broken up between classroom and outside instruction. In the classroom cadets learn aquatic plant identification, aquatic invertebrates, watershed, and fishes of Texas. The cadets also learned about lake management planning and got the chance to write this year’s plan for governmental lake on Warrens Ranch. Outside instruction included water quality sampling, seining, and electrofishing via boat or backpack, and stream survey methods.

Besides all the serious classroom instruction, cadets were taught about fly tying, casting skills/competition, and jig making. Cadets were given the opportunity to learn and sharpen their skills in public speaking during their annual stakeholders debate, power presentation, and learning to give TV interviews.

All cadets are able to return for a second round as assistant leaders of a group and earn opportunity at obtaining scholarship money for college. This year 4 scholarships were handed out to returning students. These students throughout the year gave presentations in their own communities and volunteering with local conservation groups to speak about topics relating to conservation. Repel, Triton Boats/ Texas Boat World, Power-Pole, and Gary Klein donated scholarship funds.

Competition is intense while camp is going on whether individually or as a school. The school and highest individual with the most points received awards along with those who stood out in specific events-trifold, fly tying, and notebook.

I was very impressed with the planning, adaptability, and passion these instructors to teach the cadets theses skills and pass on their knowledge.
I had the privilege of passing my knowledge of keeping in step while marching and in the field activities. Currently I am slated to return as an filed instructor and would like to invite young outdoor enthusiast between 13-17 about the program.

Hears a few testimonial’s from previous cadets:

Ike Garcia Bass Brigade Cadet 2015
“For anyone interested at all in wildlife or the outdoors in general, it is a chance to grow and blossom in knowledge of fisheries, leadership, and life lessons. After attending two camps in the brigades program, I have grown into a person I never would of seen myself becoming if it weren't for the Bass Brigade. I can not stress how much I wish every teenager could have the chance to attend this camp. It's an unforgettable time that you will cherish for years to come.”

Faith Antley Bass Brigade Cadet 2014/Assistant leader 2015
“I love how at Bass Brigade each cadet has so much fun learning about conservation and our beautiful Texas wildlife. I learned about conservation, fishing, the importance of lake and pond management and so much more. Because of Bass Brigade I gained leadership and public skills that I have taken back to my community. Bass Brigade changed my life and it will change yours too. Bass Brigade leaders desire to see each cadet succeed in life. The word that best describes Bass Brigade to me is "family".”

If you would like to know more, contact me at joshua.flowers01@gmail.com or bassbrigade@gmail.com.

laugh
Good land management is an extended learning experience-Aldo Leopold
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Pretty neat deal Josh.

I know a couple of kids that just might be interested.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 11/26/15 06:25 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling

Thanks I appreciate it. Let me know if you need any information and I will get it to you.

Last edited by Joshua Flowers; 11/26/15 10:04 AM.

laugh
Good land management is an extended learning experience-Aldo Leopold

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Bill Cody - 04/18/24 08:53 PM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by Dave Davidson1 - 04/18/24 08:41 PM
1/4 HP pond aerator pump
by esshup - 04/18/24 06:58 PM