Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
BamaBass9, Sryously, PapaCarl, Mcarver, araudy
18,505 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,965
Posts558,025
Members18,506
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,541
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
11 members (Boondoggle, phinfan, Sunil, canyoncreek, Jason D, jludwig, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Pat Williamson, STG, catscratch), 1,285 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
NWS in northern Indiana is calling for our first accumulating snow come Saturday.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/16/15 12:07 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Dang Cecil, misread your post and thought the word started with an and ended with s. Thought ya were throwing out a jab at someone.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
3"-5" forecast for this Saturday. Yuck!!

T
T
Cecil, is the snow a good deal or bad deal? Sledding, skiing, and when growing up in Okla, we would drag an old car hood behind the pickup and do figure 8"s and such. Had a blast, (not real safe). It was never on the ground for more than a week. Here in Shreveport, if we get 2" it's pretty enjoyable for a day or two. Nice thing about living in this part of the country, is we get 4 distinct seasons, but one of the seasons, you need some serious air-conditioning. smile

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Actually usually don't mind snow but have a running heated $26,000 Michael Phelps Swim Spa sitting outside on a foundation addition with all the building materials to enclose it, and my Amish contractor is nowhere to be found! He's not answering his cell phone or calling me back!

We had to hook up the power and fill the tank as it was tested just before delivery and has water in the lines. Not really that worried and it is covered and well insulated, but sure would feel better if the contractor would show up!

Going to give him a couple more days and then start looking for another contractor. Actually I'm going to show up at his house tomorrow!

Probably deer hunting! That would br O.K. but he said he'd be here last week! The part about not calling back irks me the most. I have people I don't want to call back in my business that annoy me, but I feel I have to as a business.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/17/15 09:03 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

I am struggling with Amish and has a cell phone. The Amish where I grew up did not even have a land line. You sure he is Amish?

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
All the Amish that run businesses in my area have cell phones. Some even are allowed access to the Internet as long as they do it at the library. In my area the boys can drive and own a vehicle until they officially join the church, which is when they get married. All depends on the sect and their bishop.

I know an Amish guy in Wisconsin that does websites and has computers in his home.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/17/15 09:08 PM.

C
Online Content
C
My family returned from a trip to the Amish near shipshewana and said that the big change there is that everyone is into solar. The Amish run the factory that is making the panels and crews are putting them all over the roofs of their houses. They all run everything via solar and inverters.

I love their ideals about keeping life simple but I struggle with understanding how alternating current is wrong and direct current is OK. How did their german ancestors understand the difference between a/c and d/c when they made the rules hundreds of years ago?

Are the 12V lights that they run at night now (many houses lit up after sundown) different than the AC light bulbs? How about LED lights since the emitter is DC volts but the screw in part is expecting AC?

How do the rules apply to power inverters...meaning you are getting around AC by starting with DC solar but then end up plugging in AC units into it? Are the bulbs the bad part or just the idea of being able to stay up late wrong because you are using artificial light to extend your day?

Just curious how this big change occurred and what it might mean in the future. Sorry drifted way off post there.... but the expected snow may affect their solar panels too.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
As the bard sang "The times they are a changing".

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
CC, I'm not sure the differential between AC/DC is the sticking point. It's the reliance on the grid that cranks out the AC that they shy away from, at least down here. I knew several families that had gasoline generators cranking out AC, and the construction crews drove vehicles that utilized inverters to power their AC tools.

I say "knew", because they had a meeting in the community to decide whether or not they would become Mennonite, or stay old order Amish. As I have been told, whichever faction "lost" would be required to leave. The Menn. faction prevailed, and the Amish all moved away. The new converts all bought vehicles and cell phones. Haven't seen a horse and buggy in a couple three years now, when they used to be commonplace. Even the local bank had a hitching post out front.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
My family returned from a trip to the Amish near shipshewana and said that the big change there is that everyone is into solar. The Amish run the factory that is making the panels and crews are putting them all over the roofs of their houses. They all run everything via solar and inverters.

I love their ideals about keeping life simple but I struggle with understanding how alternating current is wrong and direct current is OK. How did their german ancestors understand the difference between a/c and d/c when they made the rules hundreds of years ago?

Are the 12V lights that they run at night now (many houses lit up after sundown) different than the AC light bulbs? How about LED lights since the emitter is DC volts but the screw in part is expecting AC?

How do the rules apply to power inverters...meaning you are getting around AC by starting with DC solar but then end up plugging in AC units into it? Are the bulbs the bad part or just the idea of being able to stay up late wrong because you are using artificial light to extend your day?

Just curious how this big change occurred and what it might mean in the future. Sorry drifted way off post there.... but the expected snow may affect their solar panels too.

While you were there you should have stopped in the Menohof in Shipshewanna and would have all your questions answered. :-)

As usual wise Tony has it right: it's not AC that is the issue to them, it's connecting to the grid. Lots of Amish homes here have diesel generators that produce their own AC.

As far as solar and wind yes I see a lot of that here. But I think they aren't solely on them.

Btw anyone that goes to Shipshewanna is only 20 minutes from yours truly and is welcome to stop in if you call first (260) 894-9055.

Go south on state Rd. 5 from Shipshe through Ligonier, and the last stoplight in Ligonier on St. Rd. 6 keep going straight. Now you're on St. Rd. 33 and I'm two miles down on the left hand side. You'll pass a high school first. Taxidermy sign on the highway and three level log home with three car garage. Pond on the right hand side as you drive up the drive way.

Straight shot from Shipshe with no turns.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 11/18/15 09:07 AM.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If ya stop by Cecils place I'm guessin he would like ya ta bring a hammer and nail apron.
"Wise Tony", I like that!!
The amish guy is hoping Cecil will have ta use the tub for Trout.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Quite a few Amish up here and they have hitching posts at Tractor Supply.

Was in one day and this Amish dude said his wife gave him the green light to purchase a log splitter. He was a happy camper and beaming with true Joy! Anything to get him out of the house wink

Last edited by JKB; 11/18/15 07:39 PM.
3 to 5 inches of snow in the forecast for Saturday here. Low of 12 F! frown

[Linked Image]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Dang Bill, wasn't it just a few days ago it was 63? Well, northern In and Il are very similar. Hunker down and get out the hard water poles. Good thing is soon all the fish will be within a foot of the bottom.

You headed for Florida at the right time Bob!

[Linked Image]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Probably right. Funny tho, my kids keep tellin me I should just stay down here.

That ain't gonna happen. I mean what man in his right mind would sit around watching beautiful coeds in bikinis on the beach when he could be in Indiana driving around in a truck on country roads with CB1 getting lost!

[Linked Image]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Life is grand !!! Them kids just don't get it.

..and you would have to change yer location in yer PBF profile. I mean what the heck kind of impression is "Pink beach chair next to the corndog stand" gonna make! Sheesh! Kids just don't get it!

[Linked Image]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Bill, what's wrong with a pink beach chair? Plus it ain't a corndog stand it's a hot dog cart. Hey only a buck each and free to skimpy bikini coeds.

After several days of high wind it is now dead calm. The sun is valiantly trying to fight thru the gathering clouds but is losing the battle. They have changed our forecast from winter storm watch to a warning. Up to 13 inches possible by tomorrow noon. Temp tomorrow night to drop to 7 F. Definitely going to be a night to put a roaring fire in the fireplace, switch on the outside floods and watch it snow!

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/20/15 01:53 PM.

[Linked Image]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Sucks ta be there, hang tight, spring is juat four months away. Actually once ya get past Feb things get better quick.
Pack up your wife and her cookin utensils and come down for a couple a months. Me and her can go fishin and you can clean the trailer. Life will be good !!

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
After several days of high wind it is now dead calm. The sun is valiantly trying to fight thru the gathering clouds but is losing the battle. They have changed our forecast from winter storm watch to a warning. Up to 13 inches possible by tomorrow noon. Temp tomorrow night to drop to 7 F. Definitely going to be a night to put a roaring fire in the fireplace, switch on the outside floods and watch it snow!

Wow Bill, that's a bit too much for a first shot! Whatever happened to gradual snowfall to start winter off?

They issued us a warning last night for 5"-8" Saturday, so doing some last minute scrambling to button a few things up before it gets too dark.

I know what you mean. I am hoping for the low end of their estimate, 8 inches, or even less. Unfortunately, they seem pretty darn sure we are going to get clobbered.

Last edited by Bill D.; 11/20/15 06:06 PM.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
HookedUp, nhnewbee, orgeranyc
Recent Posts
What did you do at your pond today?
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 12:25 PM
Where it all started 1 year ago today
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:07 PM
Alum kicks clay's butt....again!!!
by Boondoggle - 04/29/24 12:01 PM
American Feeder H 125 Fish Feeder
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:58 AM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by jludwig - 04/29/24 11:54 AM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by canyoncreek - 04/29/24 09:19 AM
GSH - Spawning Habitat
by FishinRod - 04/29/24 09:14 AM
Concrete pond construction
by Theo Gallus - 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build
by teehjaeh57 - 04/27/24 10:51 AM
YP Growth: Height vs. Length