Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (anthropic, esshup), 743 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#427176 10/21/15 08:32 AM
O
OP Offline
O
I am curious if anyone here on the forum has any experience with a glass minnow trap. Do they work better than the wire traps?

I Subscribe
1 acre pond with YP,HBG,RES,HSB,SMB,GSH,FHM
I've never even SEEN a glass one?

We use the wire ones regularly, and have noticed a wide variety of differences relative to opening size, type of material used, etc.

I'm anxious to learn more about a glass trap!

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
C
C
Dale,
I'm younger than most on this forum, but when I was a teen, not to long ago, I helped my neighbor trap minnows with glass traps. He thought they worked better than metal mesh as they were invisible in the water. I never saw them for sale in the local bait shops, but he had several of them.

He dug a few shallow trenches in his backyard and thougth he would open a minnow business. He would sell to local bait shops. He didn't have aeration and thinking back on it now I don't know how those minnows survived the summers.

He has 'secret' trapping and seining spots. It sounds terrible now to think about it but when we went to check the traps or seine the minnows he would make me wear a blindfold in the truck so I wouldn't report his secret spot to anyone else. A little paranoia going on there. I was foolish and young and just went along with the plan, happy to please and happy to make a little money doing something fun outside.

His side business didn't last long and he ended up filling his back yard minnow trenches back in.

Here is one for sale on our local craigslist. I'm tempted to buy it just for the 'collector's value' and sentimental value. It is intriguing how invisible they are (if the glass is very clean to start with) once in the water. Only the bait inside shows.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Drive to Kazo to get it. wink

As far as I know, they don't make glass ones anymore - they are collectables now.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
F
The old ones I used to see actually had a blown glass funnel made in them. I recently purchased a net minnow trap with 5 or 6 entry holes in it and it stays open with wire like a umbarella. Only 10 bucks on e-bay and have never found anything that works as good! Has a little zipper bag at the top to put bait in...and a zipper torward the bottom to take fish out. The net does not hurt the fish.Works great for just hanging off the side of a dock. Would not hold up if you had to drag it around.

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
C
C
Flame, I'm with you on this one too. I bought one of those as well and found it to be great. It is very flimsy, you have to be careful. The zipper on the top that holds the bait fell off the 2nd time I used it. The zipper on the bottom to help you remove the trapped critters also broke and I just held it closed with 2 zip ties to keep the entry mostly closed, I can still put my hand in there if needed between the zip ties.

It would help to put a little weight in the bottom of it since when I throw it from shore into the deeper water it always lands on its side and then tips upside down. With a little weight along the bottom it would land right side up when tossing it in.

I find the bigger fish easily enter the chutes. I imagine some swim back out too. The sleeves or chutes do collapse shut at rest more than it appears in this picture. The cray fish can't seem to find their way out. I have not had much luck with FHM or GSH.

I just set it on the bottom but I think it would be a good idea to suspend it from the dock too.

Folds up nice.

Here is a picture, is this the one?

F
F
Yes Canyon, That is exactly what I bought!! When I unpackaged mine ,the little bait bag was already loose and about to fall off. I actually e-mailed the company and they refunded me $5 if I chose to fix it myself. I wove the repair twine they had sent in the package and it works great. I still lower mine to the bottom and just tie it off to the dock. Just find you some crimp on weights or wheel weights if you need to. I don't throw mine out at all. Just lower it straight down. I don't leave mine in more than half a day or maybe over night. Don't like keeping fish in there that long. I don't have many crawdads so have never caught one. Best minnow trap I have ever owned and it does not harm the fish!!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
O
OP Offline
O
Stream & Lake brand glass minnow traps can be bought new off of amazon. This is the only reason I asked because the idea of a glass minnow trap sounds a lot better than a mesh trap, but maybe I am wrong.

I Subscribe
1 acre pond with YP,HBG,RES,HSB,SMB,GSH,FHM
C
C
Thanks for the suggestiion, found a few more...

check the plastic versions here:

plastic trap

another one with a longer 'funnel' on the end:

2nd plastic option

check out all the different styles they used to make, and some still hand made in mexico:

lots of options here!

Last edited by canyoncreek; 10/21/15 04:03 PM.
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Unpainted wire mesh cylinder traps I bought 8 years ago are going strong, catch everything from YOY fish [BG, YP, GSH] to tadpoles and crayfish. They are $10 online - paid for themselves 1,000x over by now.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Lunker
Lunker
Does anyone remember this type of minnow trap? My grandfather used this trap back in the 50s to catch minnows to make his own catfish "stinkbait".
Sure wish I could find the original lid.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Camp minnow trap information

Kelly, that's what I found. Would an old mason jar lid work? The kind that looks like it is made from Zinc?

Last edited by esshup; 10/22/15 11:11 AM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
B
B
I actually have a friend at my farmers market who just wrote a book on those glass minnow traps. It's The Collector's Guide to Glass Minnow Traps by Brent Vonderheide and is available on Amazon. He has an enormous collection, so they are out there. He sells a lot at his antique store as well.

F
F
Originally Posted By: ozarkfisher
I am curious if anyone here on the forum has any experience with a glass minnow trap. Do they work better than the wire traps?

Number of minnows in a trap has a lot to do with who set it.

It's a lot like asking everyone at the bar what gun you should shoot a deer with.

First location, location, location. There has to be a population in the body of water to trap. Density of pop. will determine success. Then tempurature, DO , natural food source. Then structure and habbittat, places to hide from predators, that goes back to the density thing.

If all three are met, sometimes you need to bait a trap and sometimes not. Baiting usually works better. Cat food dog food bread, onion, oatmeal.

Social behavior, sometimes it just takes having one fish in your trap to bring in others.

Trap design - entrance size is the biggest concern. Most fish that enter can leave, say when all the food is gone or the rest of the school swims away.

Gees vs black mesh traps is an interesting example, usually gees do work better, but the black traps can be manipulated to work well too, like better location location locTion. Bait to match, and checking before all bait is gone.
The glass traps wood be fun to try, but I'd Probly break them.

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
fishm_n #427772 10/28/15 12:27 AM
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
location has a lot to do with it. Don't ask me what a good location is tho.

I put 2 identical traps in a pond, baited with floating fish food. The traps were about 40' apart on the same side of the pond, in about the same water depth. One had a lot of FHM in it and a few GSH, the other one had a lot of GHS and a few FHM.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

esshup #427775 10/28/15 02:18 AM
F
F
Essuhp

It's comon for fhm to swim clockwise around a shore line whIle gsh go counter clockwise! Hehe..... well maybe not.

fishm_n #427780 10/28/15 06:48 AM
Originally Posted By: fishm_n
Essuhp

It's comon for fhm to swim clockwise around a shore line whIle gsh go counter clockwise! Hehe..... well maybe not.

I thought you might be serious for a second! My FHM are always swimming clockwise.. I haven't seen any GSH since they went in. Except the 100s that got caught in the grass matts.. GSH are not on my list of the 10 most intelligent fish..

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023
T
T
I found an old glass trap at an antique store in Jefferson Texas a couple of weeks ago, I should have bought it frown I own a plastic one but it does not work as well as the standard unpainted gray wire one.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
SetterGuy #428747 11/08/15 12:37 AM
F
F
Originally Posted By: SetterGuy
Originally Posted By: fishm_n
Essuhp

I thought you might be serious for a second! My FHM are always swimming clockwise.. I haven't seen any GSH since they went in. Except the 100s that got caught in the grass matts.. GSH are not on my list of the 10 most intelligent fish..

Most fish will go in the same direction, but the direction seems to change as the current does eit her to swimm in the curgent or to sTay in the shade. Be it wind or sunny side of the lake verses shday side.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails