Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Woody Jones, Joe7328, Reno Guerra, Meandvls, Eugene
18,473 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,934
Posts557,698
Members18,474
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,493
ewest 21,489
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,134
Who's Online Now
4 members (catscratch, Shorthose, FireIsHot, canyoncreek), 513 guests, and 211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
9 year old 6 acre trophy bass lake flooded from the Harpeth River during the 2010 middle TN flood. Crappie and gizzard shad came in, and lots of trophy bass literally went down the drain. This spring, a beautiful 12.3 pounder was caught, photographed and weighed, and successfully released. Several bass in the 8+ range were caught this year, but now catching 10 crappie to 1 bass. will start draining this week, will take 40 days to drain with 3 hp 3" suction electric pump, lake was designed so that all water gathers in very small valley near the spillway, exposed 40 mil liner on the entire floor of lake. Since water temps will be favorable, and would be simple to build small dam just above collection area, should I save the shad, big bluegill, and huge bass? I was advised by a few experts to start afresh for balance reasons....Jeff J

Hey Jeff,

I would say welcome but I can see you have been a member for a long time. The one thing I don't see in your post is Why you are draining the lake. Is it because you think you have too many crappie? If so, how big are the crappie you are catching?

Bill D.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Welcome, Jeff.

You could keep some of your bigger BG for restocking, and building a forage base faster. If wanting trophy size LMB, I'd start fresh on them, because you never know if an 8" LMB is a yearling, or older and stunted. A stunted fish can grow, but size gains lost can never get made up. Save some RES if you had some also!

Have you considered using a siphon system to drain? I can't imagine a 3" electric sump pump draining 6 acres in 40 days...40 weeks, maybe. Electric pumps have a low head pressure and flow rates drop REALLY fast with each foot of lift. A temporary 6" siphon would drain it fairly quickly and can be installed permanently if wanted later.

Give me a call when you start draining...I may be able to find new homes for some of the panfish....not the crappy ones though! wink

Edit: Be sure to nuke any remaining water heavily with HYDRATED Lime to ensure nothing survives in the puddles, or your draining will be a lot of wasted time, money, effort, and fish restocking.

Last edited by Rainman; 10/21/15 01:11 AM.

W
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
I want to rid the lake completely of crappie, caught 3 this week in the 1.25-1.8 pound, but 30+ 5-7", the bass fishery was on fire before the flood. THANKS for your response....JJ

W
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
thanks Rainman, the 3"pump will pull 130 GPM, lake contains 7,000,000 gallons, I own the pump, and will use it to top off lake from nearby river. Would you try to salvage some 3" gizzard shad as well? Thank you for your feedback....JJ

R
RER Offline
R
could you bring in tiny crappy again by pumping in from the river that might have them in it?

Last edited by BobbyRice; 10/21/15 06:53 AM.

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
W
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
BOBBY, good point, i plan to use a nylon super fine sock over the strainer, the same that I did when originally filled 9 years ago, never saw a crappie until after the flood in 2010... JJ

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Just FYI, a 4" Siphon will drain about 1200 GPM and a 6", about 3000 GPM.

In a pond only 6 acres, I'd stock Threadfin Shad over gizzard. but gizzards do reproduce faster. Problem is when they die off and pollute the water.

7,000.000 gallons in 6 acres would be an average depth of only ~3.5'. That's pretty shallow. Most run around a 6' average depth, which would be ~11,700,000 gallons in roughly 36 acre/feet of water

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd not save any of the Gizzard shad. They can overpopulate the lake fast if there isn't a high population of 24"+ LMB in there. They could be added later, but just not in the beginning.

I agree with Rainman, nuke any remaining puddles. All it takes is 2 crappie..............

One acre, one foot deep is 325,851 gallons. How deep is the pond?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
W
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
6 acres and 7' avg. depth, that would be 13,685,742 at full pool. I suppose I was incorrect on the volume. O K, suppose I will get everything out, hate to lose those monster bass, thanks for all the advice....JJ

R
RER Offline
R
set up an above ground pool from walley world and hold the giant bass in them , some one might want or have a need for them ...

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I agree with Bobby here I would do everything I could to save the big bass. above ground pool is a good idea even if it's just one of those 12 foot ones and aerate the heck out of it. Fill it with your pump. It would be a shame to kill them off. Some may not make it but it would be worth it to me to try and save them.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Although if you start over not really sure what you would feed 8 plus pound bass in a empty 6 acre pond??? You would have to get some bigger bait fish in there relatively quick to help maintain them...

Good Luck man,

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: WOODMAN615
6 acres and 7' avg. depth, that would be 13,685,742 at full pool. I suppose I was incorrect on the volume. O K, suppose I will get everything out, hate to lose those monster bass, thanks for all the advice....JJ

Take those gallons and cut it in half. Typically take surface area x .5 of the max depth for a guesstimate on volume. Adjust either way if you know the slope profile.

If those LMB get put back, just think of the size and price of the forage fish that he has to add.

If the forage is there, and good "shooter" genetics are used for the LMB, I think he could see 4 to 5 pound bass in 2 years of stocking fingerlings.

I'd be more tempted to save all the BG in a temp pond than the LMB.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RER Offline
R
if he was able to save some alive some one might have a use for them, not nessiarily to put back on the pond at hand.
It would be a shame to waste large bass like that, or just have one Big fish fry...

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah that's why I wrote what I did as an after thought nothing to feed them fish.... Your probably right esshup if he were to save 100 to 200 adult BG he would have a great head start on his forage base that's for sure!! It sure would suck to lose 8 and 10 pound bass tho..... ughhh

RC

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Big Bass CAN be saved, but it is NOT easy to establish the proper forage classes/species. Large LMB also rarely continue to thrive once moved out of the environment that made them big. IIRC, Greg Grimes grew 7# LMB from <2" fingerlings in under 2 years in the Foxworthy lake with prepping LOADS of forage for them.

One 24"+ LMB can wipe out $3000 worth of stocker fish if not restocked correctly!

W
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
Rainman, that's what I thought, will start with a clean slate this winter or early spring with forage fish, then intro bass in fall....thanks, jj

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
You were able to grow some great LMB in that BOW, so the water quality and habitat is there. Get it so the LMB go to sleep with their mouth open at night and wake up with full bellies in the morning and you can grow some large LMB in a hurry.

Saving as many BG as you can to restock the lake will help the pocketbook.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

W
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
Sounds good Esshup, can do that, thanks, jj

W
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
OK, for anyone willing to share advice, what would be the likelihood of success if the lake was drained out with the following kept in a holding facility until refilling?

1. 6 or more healthy LMB females 10+ pounders
2. 6 or more smaller but healthy LMB males
3. tons of bluegill ranging in size from 1+ pounders to fingerlings
(hundreds of mature, and thousands of smaller)
4. few hundred 3" gizzard shad

Then follow up with heavy FH minnow stocking in the spring.

This would allow me to keep trophy genetics, like ShareLunker program in Texas.

I've got 8 years invested in some of these huge bass, would hate to see them taken off to other ponds....JJ

I am not a pro, but you asked for opinions so FWIW IMHO if you successfully pull off the BG restocking you describe, I would consider stocking at least some good genetics fingerling LMB along with the large ones you are retaining. Your current plan provides no small size class LMB for control of the small BG, new BG spawn and shad spawn. Those big bass will ignore those little fish. You are betting on the 6 possible big LMB pairs finding each other in a pretty big puddle at spawning time. Might happen. Might not. I would hedge my bet with the additional stocking of a few LMB fingerlings. Just my 2 cents

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
I'd agree with Bill D. Your best bet on trying to maintain a lunker ready lake is to stock all age/size classes.

My biggest concern on restocking your lunker bass, is they will lose weight fast. LMB over a pound or so don't often do well when stocked into new surroundings. They may even doo poorly in holding areas.

W
Fingerling
OP Offline
Fingerling
W
ok, thanks guys, jj

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The way I look at it is your plan is relatively sound, stocking the large good genetic fish to act as brood fish. So what if they lose weight, it's their offspring that you are concerned about. You may only have a few years left in the largest ones anyway - how many LMB do you know of that are over 10 years old?

I agree about stocking more LMB as soon as the fish go in to up chances of a successful spawn being pulled off, but make sure that the LMB are of good genetics. The female LMB finding the male LMB is akin to the needle in the haystack with only 2 per acre.

I'd leave the Gizzard shad out for a few years, and only put them in when there is a good population of large LMB in the pond. Your good population of large LMB would be very small for the first years, mostly consisting of smaller LMB and I'm worried that the GS will get out of hand.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Ralph D Hart
Recent Posts
Compaction Question
by teehjaeh57 - 04/15/24 11:54 PM
Golden Shiners - What size to stock?
by Boondoggle - 04/15/24 10:04 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:52 PM
instant email notifications of post replies ?
by esshup - 04/15/24 09:48 PM
What type of fry?
by Sunil - 04/15/24 08:58 PM
Group Text of Customers, Pay to Fish
by Fishingadventure - 04/15/24 04:24 PM
Pumpkinseed
by FishinRod - 04/15/24 03:08 PM
Bream Freshly Hatched??
by Snipe - 04/15/24 01:41 PM
What type of babies are these?
by ewest - 04/15/24 01:31 PM
What did you do at your pond today?