Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,105
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,111
Who's Online Now
11 members (jbird5986, Deancutler, Angler8689, Boondoggle, Bill Cody, FireIsHot, Dylanfrely, Treeguy27, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS), 713 guests, and 173 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#42671 10/17/02 10:30 PM
T
tejitkd Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have a quarter acre pond with some large trout in it. I have a well that has hydrogen sulfide gas in the water. Any thoughts on how to get the gas out of this well water so it can be used for cycling to the pond???

email direct if wish at:

tejitaekwondo@yahoo.com

#42672 10/18/02 09:13 AM
M
M
Build an areation tower. It's a pretty simple structure - 4 post with several (4-5) layers of expanded metal in between. Pump well water to the top of the structure and allow it to fall through the layers. As the water is broken into smaller units, more surface area is available for the sulfide to escape and for oxygen to be absorbed.

#42673 10/18/02 01:15 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Mike is correct. However I use plastic media that has a large surface area in my packed column, and although I presently use a 10 inch 5 foot section of PVC that the water falls through at the top, I'm going to switch to 5 five gallon buckets in a row loaded with the packed material and a plastic screen in the bottom of each to keep the plastic material inside. This way I connect the buckets w/ a 2 inch space between each which allows more hydrogen sulfide, C02, and nitrogen gas to escape. It will also do a better job of oxygenating the water since it has more access to the air.

You do know that well water is virtually devoid of oxygen when it first comes out of the ground and is saturated or even supersaturated with nitrogen gas? You need to blow off all the undesirable gases and add oxygen which the "packed column" does. If you have too much nitrogen gas from your ground water supply your fish can actually develop the "bends."

Do you have iron in your ground water? Larger fish can tolerate it, but it depends on how ppms you have. It will also discolor your water which is not aesthetically pleasing. I am presently making a prototype of a double sand/gravel filter to collect the precipitated iron after the water goes through the packed column. I won't know how well it works until next spring as there is no need to run my well until then in my trout pond. Pumping well water is expensive and I only do it from late spring to fall.

If you have anymore questions email me. I've made some mistakes so I've learned alot!

I also have pics of recently harvested browns, brooks, and rainbows on my website at http://www.ligtel.com/~jjbaird/bairdfish2.htm

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

#42674 10/18/02 01:18 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Oh, forgot one important thing. You should have a distribution plate on the top of the column to disperse the water and prevent it from channeling and sliding down the sides and not making good contact with all the media. It's simply a plate (mine is made of plastic) with evenly spaces holes in it to distribute the water. I siliconed the edges after I installed mine.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

#42675 10/18/02 01:35 PM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
I am 100% ignorant of chemistry but have no shortage of curiosity. This question has been bothering me ever since I read on the prior Pond Boss thread that well water contains almost no oxygen.

Now, lets see. Water (H2 O) is defined as 2 parts hydrogen to one part oxygen. Is pure well water just H2? Or does H2 O refer to oxygenated water? Does most water contain other elements such as the stuff TEJITKD refers to? If so, why do we call it H2 O? When is water only H2 O? I've seen water with a heavy mineral taste and not thought much about it until now. I'm confused.

Dave

#42676 10/18/02 01:51 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I got an "A" in a general chemistry in college, but I can't answer your question. My wife asked me the same thing.

I just know what I know from my fisheries degree, a lot of reading about trout farming, and what other trout farmers say.

Any chemists out there that can answer this?

#42677 10/18/02 09:24 PM
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
FYI - Water is H2O; two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. Water can be separated into hygrogen gas and oxygen gas. Hopefuly they will learn how to separate it cheaply and use the hydrogen to power vehicles. The O in H2O has nothing to do with the oxygen that the fish use for respiration (breathing). The oxygen for animals to 'breathe' is oxygen gas from the air that has dissolved into the water. More Details & examples follow.

Anyway, water as a liquid has the capacity for solids and gasses to dissolve into it. Dissolve is the key here. Dissolve solids suchas sugar, salt, iron, kool-aid, calcium carbonate (limestone) and dissolve gasses such as carbon dioxide, ammonia, hydrogen sulfide, nitrogen and OXYGEN (gas in the air). Each of these has a different degree of its ability or how fast or readily it will dissolve into water. This tendency is called soluability factor and is rated as a number on a scale. Some dissolve very easily & quickly (high soluability) whereas others dissolve very slowly and with a fair to high degree of difficulity (low soluability). Oxygen compared to many of the gasses is a relatively slow dissolver (low soluability factor compared to say carbon dioxide or hydrogen sulfide high soluability). NOTE: Since hydrogen sulfide has a HIGH soluability that's why we can readily get it to leave water just by exposing it to air as in your gas exchangers discussed above.

Temperature also plays a role here in dissolving. When we heat a liquid we can usually get more esp solids to dissolve into water. Not so with oxygen in water. When water warms it holds LESS oxygen as a dissolved gas. Water at 39-40 deg F holds about twice as much oxygen as it does when the water is 80+ deg F.
When we boil water the bubbling action is all the gasses leaving the water as the heating encourages & speeds gas release.

Air pressure also will affect how much gass can dissolve into a liquid. Under increased presure more gas will go into the liquid. An example is effervescence of soda pop after opening, the carbon dioxide gas leaves the liquid when the pressure is decreased and the gas bubbles out since it wants to get back to a saturated conditon at a lower presure which is less gas so some has to leave by way of bubbles. . Remember carbon dioxide has a high soluability factor and easily goes in & out of water; not so with oxygen. But when water is supersaturated (extra full) with oxygen one can often see excess oxygen bubbles forming on the algae or plant masses since some has to leave because of too much dissolved in the water; similar to bubbles in pop as the gas leaves solution. Note some of these bubbles and bubbles from the bottom can also be other gasses being released.

Factoid. Bottom diffuser aerators put very little oxygen into the water in relation to the Whole Oxygen Budget of the pond/lake. This is because 1. OXYGEN has a low soluability factor and dissolves very slowly & with difficulty into water. 2. The bubbles are in contact with the water a very short time. Hardly long enough to get the dissolving started. 3. AIR has only about 20% oxygen gas in it; so very little oxygen is in the bubble to dissolve.
Bottom diffused aerators are VERY efficient water movers getting lots of poor quality water out of the bottom zones and to the SURFACE where the more highly soluable gasses can under less pressure leave/dissipate. Once the "bad" water is in the illuminated, top -surface, zone EACH of the rooted plants and cazillions of microscopic plants (phytoplankton) in the water with densities like fog droplets in air can release oxygen that dissolves into the water! This is where 80% -90% of the ponds oxygen is produced through plant action (photosynthesis) during daylight. When you kill these plants with chemicals or they die naturally, the oxygen supply in the pond can become in short supply. From a COMBINATION of a HUGE decrease in plants producing oxygen AND also by lots of OXYGEN CONSUMING & decomposing bacteria blooming to break down the dead material. If you add a bottom bubbler also at this time, you can increase or enhance the low oxygen problem by bringing lots more deoxygenated water to the surface thus further degrading/diluting the oxygen supply of top water. Remember Bottom bubblers are a cheap way to move lots and lots of water but not necessarily by themselves are they good at adding lots of oxygen to water by simple gas diffusion/dissolving. Smaller bubbles do increase the air to water surface ratio and thus smaller bubbles do allow a little more oxygen to get into the water, but not much. I have more but I will get on to another topic.
PS - I got a C in general chemistry; grades don't mean a lot when different teachers and grading scales are involved.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
#42678 10/19/02 04:59 AM
D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Bill; Thanks for the lesson. I won't tell you I got it all on the first pass but will, like I have to do on a lot of your excellent posts, read it over and over until I get it. Thanks!

Dave

#42679 10/19/02 12:02 PM
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
So Bill -- if you got only a "C" in General Chemistry how did you do in organic and inorganic? Just ribbing you! I've never taken Organic or Inorganic Chemistry but I've heard horror stories from even very bright people.

Thanks for the information.

#42680 10/27/02 11:04 PM
T
tejitkd Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hey everyone,
Thanks for the reponses. I will see to a effort to degas/regas the spring from the well so it can be used this next year.

Tej

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails