Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,972
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,148
Who's Online Now
9 members (sprkplug, STG, FishinRod, Donatello, Boondoggle, Don Kennedy, Theo Gallus, MOFishermen, Ponderific2024), 1,127 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#426530 10/13/15 11:51 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Hello everyone
You may remember me from this post: http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=31309&Number=405192#Post405192

A lot has changed since march, i got home yesterday from a trip up there and i have seen improvements in my family's lake, back in April i made a trip and put 1 newly fallen Christmas tree in the lake and then in June, i cut down 3, i will add a picture. #1 was back in april and is 12ft deep, #2 was june and is 16ft, #3 and #4 were cut down with #2 but were set just deep enough to soak, 3 days ago i moved #3 (12ft) to where it is now and i never got to moving #4. after spending some time up there this summer i know a lot more about this lake. the depths are about true, deepest part was 23 ft with the narrow averages 14 ft and the lagoon is averaged at 10 with 8ft in the middle. all perch, i actually haven't seen any of those white suckers only perch, i have bucket stocked minnows in probably 100 - 120 in the last 6 months i got pretty lucky considering the stream on the property has fathead minnows, along with that i have caughten i would say 160-200 small perch and thrown them out. in april i caught one of good size i would say 6 or 7 inch in june we caught two and then this past weekend i caught 6 large ones and one must have been 8 inches they were all caught within 30 ft of trees 1 and 2 and it was like a switch flipped within 1 to 2 hours before sunset and i caught them all within about 20 minutes with the hour before that catching about 25 small ones.

Now this past weekend has also worked out in another way, my uncle that spends a lot of time on the property managing the woodlands for deer has decided to put me in charge of managing the lake with him financing it. you guys suggested it may have the winter-kill debacle, i also believe there is not enough forage for the perch along with the water being so clear that there arnt many nutrients. i would like to keep the water clear but it is not necessary.

As for fish, i would definitely like to add minnows most likely fatheads and my uncle suggested smb or trout and even said we could consider building an artifical creek with a pump to run during spawn so they reproduce(i think i have seen someone else do it on here). down the line i would like to even add something like a dozen pike but that may never happen so im not focused on it now.

My short game plan for now is to keep killing the stunted perch, along with that my uncle and i talked about having a pro come out to look at the lake sometime soon (if you guys have a friend or know a good guy in the northern michigan area id love to get in contact) i also plan on taking water samples the next times im there (end of october, middle november and then probably january or february) and either testing myself or sending off to lab. i guess the main thing i would be looking for is D.O. in the winter, any tips on that would be appreciated. im going to start looking into a supplier with minnows that will tolerate the cold weather. my uncle also used to have an aerator which the pump is long gone but there is a 1 inch hose running from the garage in cabin to somewhere in the middle of the lake which he said im welcome to get a pump and hook it up which may be beneficial to run in winter months?

I would like to hear your guys advise on this, any help is appreciated and thank you for taking the time to read.

6.5 acre
YP mainly
Northern LP Michigan
R
OP Offline
R
here is a video from this weekend flying my rc plane over the lake with a gopro looking straight down under neath it. at the end i crashed frown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPyAJqeT6QE

Attached Images
cabinnew.jpg PICT0338.JPG
Last edited by RichardMancini; 10/13/15 02:16 PM.

6.5 acre
YP mainly
Northern LP Michigan
Fingerling
Fingerling
Congratulations on being given the green light by your uncle. You have set your goals, which is a good start-look at putting in habitat that would promote fish retention and production of the food chain for forage. Think about zooplankton, SMB food web, talk some with esshup and Herman Brothers lake management on smb/pike.

laugh
Good land management is an extended learning experience-Aldo Leopold
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Great looking place. Eerie silence at the end of the video! Was it bad?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
R
OP Offline
R
you know i have always wondered if there was a place i could go to buy zooplankton or any small water bugs feed the future minnows/baby YP i remember a while back trying to look for a source but unable to find anything. I see your from texas so they may be different creatures but could you expand on the habitat for zooplanket point? is there something im over looking because im not sure what type of habitat for them would be acceptable? maybe more trees in the shallows on the bank? more dead matter like leaves, sticks and brush piles close to the surface?

6.5 acre
YP mainly
Northern LP Michigan
R
OP Offline
R
yupp, completely shredded the plane apart and it was my 4th flight ever having it too. Im planning on selling all the equipment thats still usable and switch to maybe a DJI phantom quadcopter lol.

6.5 acre
YP mainly
Northern LP Michigan
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Still that was a cool way to show off your pond!! Nice!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I used to spend 3/4 of my winter building a new plane, and the last quarter dreading sending it aloft come spring time. Switched to boats...

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
R
OP Offline
R
there is a software where you set your gopro to take a picture once a second and fly the plane with autopilot to certain waypoints and you upload the pictures to the software and it creates an interactive map just like google earth's but since the plane is trashed i cant do it anymore. I originally planned to do the whole property and the lake but i guess thats out of the picture until i get a quadcopter up and running. and yes sparkplug i got this plane for my birthday october of last year and after taking a whole year to build and research electronics it goes away that fast. sucks doesnt it lol!

6.5 acre
YP mainly
Northern LP Michigan
sorry about the crash, spectacular way to go. Thanks for sharing.

Going sustainable.. how's that working for ya?

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by FishinRod - 04/26/24 10:12 AM
Compaction Question
by FishinRod - 04/26/24 10:05 AM
Prayers needed
by Sunil - 04/26/24 07:52 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by liquidsquid - 04/26/24 06:58 AM