Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,941
Posts557,756
Members18,480
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,498
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,139
Who's Online Now
7 members (Fishingadventure, Joe7328, Foozle, Freunb02, Dave Davidson1, Bill Cody, catscratch), 989 guests, and 226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
"That is, every 0.7 pounds of high-protien/high-fat sinking pellets produced 1 pound of flesh..."

You got more weight put on the fish than you fed it, Ken?

If correct, does this mean there was other forage the fish were eating, or am I missing something?

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Sunil
"That is, every 0.7 pounds of high-protien/high-fat sinking pellets produced 1 pound of flesh..."

You got more weight put on the fish than you fed it, Ken?

If correct, does this mean there was other forage the fish were eating, or am I missing something?

No. The fish were swimming in 3600 gallon/minute raceways from a mountainside spring without nutrients except for e-coli that fed the spring from large cattle pastures.

Instead, it had to do with the amount of de-hydration in the product and a few other tweaks. It was a funded research project through West Virginia University, using food specially prepared by a major fish feed manufacturer in Catawissa, PA. They are not a PB sponsor nor advertiser.

In general, they do not sell to the public, or in small quantities.

Because it was a specially formulated food for this project, I don't remember if we were able to get a forecasted cost for the food per pound.

I've gotten other food from them, usually split bags, experiments, etc. My fish seem to do well with it. When I saw our good friend from Ball Grounds, GA, the other day, he had high praise for their products, even though he is now an "ambassador" for a supplier of great fish feed, and major PB supporter, that many of us have had problems aquiringing in the past.

When the ice goes out, my younger son and I want to make a visit to your pond. I can tell you a lot more then.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Sounds good!

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

T
T
Jason007, it seams to me and based off of your water temps we are running real close together. My pond is located along the Louisiana Texas border due west of Shreveport. For the people who are not familiar with La, It takes me 6 hrs to drive from Shreveport to Venice La. NW la to the extreme SE La. So La is a long and narrow state (4 hrs to drive E to West). With this in mind, my water temps in Late November was 51 and may have been influenced by additions of water well water. My temp a week ago was 59 due to the warm 70 degree days we experienced. Now with a 1 to 2" ice storm I have not made it to the pond but maybe today I will. And being a new pond guy back in Nov. I was told to feed my CNBG for 1 sec per day with my Texas Hunter feeder and to do it at the warmest time of the day. I fed that way till the water temps came up and then increased the feed to 3 times a day@ 2 sec feeding. I am trying to get the same results as you in CNBG growth rates. I was thinking of reducing the feeding times just before last weekend after the cold spell but I went to the PBC and I learned from Mr Lusk that we can feed to 46 degrees. I will adjust my feeding when I ck the water temps if temp is below 46 but if it is not, I will continue feeding at these rates unless I see something to make me change. I am not sure of the outcome, because I am new, but if I mess up some how or my fish don't live as long it's my call, just like you. But I will say this. This forum has helped me out a lot !!! And I will continue with the IT Depends smile
Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Bottom line is there are some general guide lines to try and go by that the pros will tell you about. That does NOT mean it will or won't work that way in each and every pond! Come on guys were dealing with fish here and mother nature. They both have a mind of there own that's for sure!

Keep in mind that most studies are done over several years just to make sure that you did not get lucky a couple of times or for some freak reason it just worked once or twice. Each and every one of us manage their ponds in some kinda different way. I do not do exactly what Eric does or TJ or Bill Cody or n8ly, for that matter, but I am still having success.

So is my way wrong and their way is right no! There are just to many determining factors about each pond that can be different to say who is right or wrong with what they are doing unless it's flat out just "Stupid" for a better lack of words. With that said I can't wait to get back to fly fishing for my 10 inch BG! This weather is killing me......

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Ken,
I've got one of the tagging kits that Greg sells and it works great and is easy to use.
Dan

1 ac pond LMB, BG, RES, CC
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
RC51 provides good philosophy - there are numerous ways to have success and failure with lots of variability in-between.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Feeding of BG is still in its infancy with respect to the science. Just like people are different so are BG (even in the same brood). There is no doubt local conditioning as well as bioenergetic , weather and reproductive issues with BG feeding in winter/early spring (water temps below 65F and short photoperiods). It is common in warmwater fish to see feeding activity increase with small changes in water temps over a couple of days. Even in the absence of water temp increase BG (female especially) will start to eat about 30-45 days before the photo period increases much as they are engaged in gamete (egg)development prior to the spawn. So it really does depend. IMO it is important if you are trying to increase BG spawn numbers and survival to try and have them in good condition (via feed if you do feed) coming out of winter.

Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: RC51
there are some general guide lines to try and go by that the pros will tell you about. That does NOT mean it will or won't work that way in each and every pond! So is my way wrong and their way is right no! RC

Amen Brother!

Fishing has never been about the fish....

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah I wish I had a small second pond to experiment in and do stuff that's out of bounds so to speak! Man that's the only real way to learn what is or is not worthy of trying. I think most of us would love to do that but we are afraid to use our main and only pond to do so. Heck I have enough trouble keeping it right without experimenting in it!!!! smile

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Funny, I think you just described my main/only pond!

One big experiment!

And I'm not sure I'll ever have it "right", whatever that might be wink. But I'm sure having an awful lot of fun along the way, and a ton of learning!

PS - I know what you mean, RC, I'm just adding a little lightheartedness (kinda, 'cause it sure seems like a big experiment!)

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
A
A
Originally Posted By: RC51
Yeah I wish I had a small second pond to experiment in and do stuff that's out of bounds so to speak! Man that's the only real way to learn what is or is not worthy of trying. I think most of us would love to do that but we are afraid to use our main and only pond to do so. Heck I have enough trouble keeping it right without experimenting in it!!!! smile

RC

You know, RC, that's one reason I am seriously considering a secondary pond now. For broodstock prawns and tilapia, or maybe CNB, extra water into main pond if necessary during droughts, fun experiments. Didn't even consider it before the PB Conference.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
The 2nd or 3rd mini-pond does not have to be very big to do some fish experimenting. The big benefit to the mini pond is it is easy to start over. It is often best to drain them annually or occasionally during winter so the bottom soils can aerate, decompose, and weeds will die, then refill in spring for your next crop or experiment.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/25/15 06:57 PM.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Jason, You are growing some beautiful fish, that's my opinion and many others have said the same. I still see nothing "proven" or "disproven". But congrats on the start of one very fine fishery that's all yours!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Technically he has 'proven' to himself what is working for his situation. I also believe he has gotten some great growth of his BG. I hope they live for 5 to 6 more years and we can see pictures of those fish. The difficulty is how do we know they are the original stocked CNBG unless he fin clips, marks, or tags some of them?

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/28/15 11:02 AM.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Technically he has 'proven' to himself what is working for his situation. I also believe he has gotten some great growth of his BG. I hope they live for 5 to 6 more years and we can see pictures of those fish. The difficulty is how do we know they are the original stocked CNBG unless he fin clips, marks, or tags some of them?

The lack of accurate measuring or same-fish-marking is what I was personally referring to when I said nothing was proved nor disproved, at least to me...completely agreed it seems to have been his personal proof. I too would love to see some growth on individual fish, and they are indeed lookin good!

B
B
Would be interesting to run an experiment by weighing/measuring and caging two batches of BG...feed both until 46 degrees, then only feed one. When water temp warms back up to 46 degrees, pull them and weigh/measure again. Keep track of feed and see how much growth they get per feed given. Both cages would get ghe benefit from other things eating the feed...only one cage would benefit from actually eating the feed...

Sean

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
The results would depend a lot on location. BG do still eat when its cold - just not as much descending with the temps. The question would be how much more did the non feed fish shrink over winter. Even the feed group would likely not grow much with sustained temps under 45.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
You have to bring them inside for the winter like I do. :-) YOY anyway.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/12/15 05:09 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/17/24 07:33 PM
How many LMB to remove?
by Foozle - 04/17/24 07:20 PM
Opportunistic Munchers
by DrewSh - 04/17/24 03:58 PM
No feed HSB or CC small pond?