Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
macman59, jm96, flowindustrial, ksueotto58, John Folchetti
18,480 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,944
Posts557,782
Members18,481
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,505
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,140
Who's Online Now
10 members (Sunil, gehajake, CentexSaj, Augie, catscratch, wps456, teehjaeh57, Shorthose, Tinylake, Fishingadventure), 1,008 guests, and 244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
F
Originally Posted By: anthropic
Originally Posted By: Rainman
TGW1, I agree with what was said about the HBCP being a competitor, but ONLY the F1 stocked. Almost all offspring will become snacks, but there may be a low number recruited. Rainbow trout in winter with Tilapia in the warmer months is proving to be an awesome combo in creating double digit bass, fast.

I think you could stock 300 HBCP without adversely affecting your CBLMB growth.

I have a question re Tilapia. Are they really much of a forage fish for bass?

I get where they eat unwanted vegetation and generally don't compete with LMB for forage. And maybe LMB will eat some smaller tilapia from time to time, and even some larger ones when temps cool. But is it really true that tilapia, where fairly common, constitute a major part of a LMB diet throughout the summer?

From my under standing in the fall all tilapia slow down and or die, before they die they are easy slow forage making predators lose less energy to consume them. Even if they are don't cost as much energy as a minnow of the same size.

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: fishm_n
TGW1, I agree with what was said about the HBCP being a competitor, but ONLY the F1 stocked. Almost all offspring will become snacks, but there may be a low number recruited. Rainbow trout in winter with Tilapia in the warmer months is proving to be an awesome combo in creating double digit bass, fast.

I get where they eat unwanted vegetation and generally don't compete with LMB for forage. And maybe LMB will eat some smaller tilapia from time to time, and even some larger ones when temps cool. But is it really true that tilapia, where fairly common, constitute a major part of a LMB diet throughout the summer?

From my under standing in the fall all tilapia slow down and or die, before they die they are easy slow forage making predators lose less energy to consume them. Even if they are don't cost as much energy as a minnow of the same size.

For LMB, they not only expend less energy, but if the Tilapia are pure blues dying around 42-48*, the LMB metabolism has slowed and the LMB put on high energy lipids to avoid winter weight loss. Hybridized Tilapia or any other species that dies from 52-58* will help LMB gain weight, but not produce the same amount of lipids, because the LMB metabolism has not quite slowed enough at the higher water temps. Tilapia lethargy and immune system shutdown begin about 5-10 degrees warmer than the lethal temps.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R

anthropic, if your pond is in LA and you do not want the state sterilizing it for you, don't even think about stocking them in your state.

In monoculture settings of unfed, non-aerated test ponds, (without predators), 10 pounds of Tilapia have repeatedly produced over 1000 pounds of fish in a single growing season.

Tilapia produce a LOT of forage. Most fry/fingerlings get eaten by other YOY predators (like LMB and BG) before reaching 2". But, that means those YOY grow faster, along with Tilapia, adding lots of "extra" forage for larger fish due to the Tilapia consuming/converting algae and other non-utilized nutrients, like detritus. Further, consuming the detritus, and oxygenating normally anoxic water improves overall water quality too. Tilapia are NOT a magic bullet in water management strategies, but they are one of the BFH's in the tool box!

Last edited by Rainman; 10/09/15 01:59 AM.

A
A
Thanks for the responses! Fortunately my pond is in Texas, so Tilapia are an option. I hope to put some in a 1/4 acre growout pond with no predators, along with prawns. Will also put some in main BOW.

I hadn't considered that baby tilapia would feed YOY LMB and large BG. I do know from personal experience that ponds with tilapia are far less prone to FA infestation, so they are worthwhile even just for that.

Interesting that pure blue tilapia putting more weight on LMB than Mozambique due to temp sensitivities. I believe Texas allows only Mozambique stocking without a special license for precisely that reason, as they cannot survive Texas winters anywhere except in the extreme southern part of the state.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Yo Anth - ship some of those prawns up North...it's tough to get fresh seafood up here. I won't tell anyone - secret is safe with me.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

R
RER Offline
R
Originally Posted By: teehjaeh57
Yo Anth - ship some of those prawns up North...it's tough to get fresh seafood up here. I won't tell anyone - secret is safe with me.

teejaeh,
come on down to visit, north east florida has some of the best shrimp in the world...right off the boat...

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Crappies eat fish for food, Tilapia eat algae (mostly). The crappie will be taking food away from the LMB (YOY that will grow to be larger food).

IF the goal is to grow large CBLMB, then I wouldn't stock another predator that competes with them.

According to Malone & Sons the hybrid crappies shouldn't be an issue in a pond with bluegill and largemouth bass. In fact recruitment is so poor that they have to be restocked.

http://www.jmmaloneandson.com/hybridcrappie.html

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

A
A

Sad to say that I've heard these prawns, though they get large, are not nearly as tasty as saltwater shrimp. But they do well when raised together with tilapia, plus the bass are happy to chow down on them.

If you haven't done so, you should try some good Louisiana style boiled crawfish sometime. Out of season now, but it won't be long before the mudbugs make their return.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

T
T
So if I have both black and white crappie in my pond will I get hybrids or are they more likely to reproduce separately?

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Tbar
So if I have both black and white crappie in my pond will I get hybrids or are they more likely to reproduce separately?

Good question. I personally wouldn't count on it especially if you put both sexes of both species in. Better chance if only male of one species and females of the other. That said I think Malone and Sons probably mixed the gametes in a petri dish.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 10/11/15 04:42 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker

Sad to say that I've heard these prawns, though they get large, are not nearly as tasty as saltwater shrimp. But they do well when raised together with tilapia, plus the bass are happy to chow down on them.

If you haven't done so, you should try some good Louisiana style boiled crawfish sometime. Out of season now, but it won't be long before the mudbugs make their return.

When IS crawfish season there?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Jenna
Recent Posts
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?
by CentexSaj - 04/18/24 03:32 PM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 12:48 PM
Hi there quick question on going forward
by Joe7328 - 04/18/24 11:49 AM
Chestnut other trees for wildlife