Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,814
Members18,486
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,513
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
6 members (J. E. Craig, AlexJ, BCR Pond, Rick O, Pat Williamson, Bruno616), 740 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Thanks guys, but I'm not sure at what point things start getting sketchy with feeding. Are you supplementing natural forage, or supplanting it with all the thrown food? That's probably a topic for another thread, but either way, the cooler weather has sure amped things up.

For me personally, Al I think I'm supplementing natural forage opposed to supplanting it. I got behind in the beginning and can only guess that without feeding I would have much different results today.

Who's to know but with my time limited here (leased) I wanted the quickest growth possible and it's worked well for me (IMO).

So maybe that question too (supplementing vs supplanting) falls into the "it depends" response?

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
Fall is officially here in Northern Illinois! My wife was out walking yesterday evening and brought back a half dozen Box Elder Mushrooms. Definitely a sign of fall when those guys start showing up.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Bill, do they grow just on Box Elders or someplace else?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
A whole bunch of different types of mushrooms sprouting up this week. I wish I knew more about mushrooms, more than my magic experience, shall we say whistle

Oh yeah, fall is chainsaw time around here. Both of my Stihl's have been stored for 5 years. Ran the fuel out first tho. Put some 95 Octane mix in and they fired right up!

Time to drop some trees!!!

Last edited by JKB; 10/01/15 05:55 PM. Reason: chainsaw
Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
I have seen them on other maple species (Box Elder is a maple) and I think they also grow on Elm. One of their names is "Elm Oyster." I see most of mine on Box Elder though. They grow from most any scar on the tree. I have seen them growing 20 feet in the air. I especially like fresh ones in omelets. We also dehydrate them and use them when we can our spaghetti sauce when tomatoes are on during the summer or in other recipes like stew throughout the year. This year I want to try some battered and deep fried.

Last edited by Bill D.; 10/01/15 05:58 PM.

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
I googled Binged a bit and I've never seen anything like that around here.

Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
I have no idea how far north they grow. I do know they are not everywhere, even around here. They seem to pick their spots. I have none on the Box Elders on the north end of our property but they are everywhere on the south end. I think the big thing is you need old trees with scars but, that is just my observation. One cool thing is, once you have found one growing on a scar, look there next year and there will be another one. Best way to spot them is look up. Most of mine grow above eye level.

Happy Hunting!

Last edited by Bill D.; 10/01/15 07:20 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
We've found a few hen of the woods lately.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
I wish I knew more about mushrooms. Morels are easy. Box Elder are safe cause there are no poisonous look a likes. I am sure I am passing up some good shrooms but I just don't know enough and don't want to take the chance. I tried to find somebody here via the internet to teach me. No Luck. I thought about trying to buy a book but the pics in books never seem to look like what yer looking at!

[Linked Image]
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I heard that those magic ones JKB mentioned grew out of cow patties down south. For the last several yrs I've plodded through many fields of poop in Fl and am beginning ta think someone is pullin my leg. Still gonna keep lookin tho.

Do nature a favor, spay/neuter your pets and any weird friends or relatives.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
I heard that those magic ones JKB mentioned grew out of cow patties down south. For the last several yrs I've plodded through many fields of poop in Fl and am beginning ta think someone is pullin my leg. Still gonna keep lookin tho.

Go ask Alice, I think she'll know...

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I wanna go in the rabbit hole with Alice!!!! Seems like Grace Slick said something about askin Alice when she's 10 ft tall.
I think Bill D may be confusing the Box Elder ones with the cow dung ones.
I'm getting (more) confused. What does all this have ta do with the smell of Hickory in the air?

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Yeah Bob, when I started taking this Synthetic Opium for Radicular Pain, I couldn't get that damn song out of my head for a couple weeks.

Much more mellow now as I can be in a traffic jam and barely notice it. wink

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Dang it Phil, ya made me laugh out loud.
When I had my lung removed they gave me a self administered drip of Opium. The night of my surgery wasn't real pleasurable and so I figured OK, lets give this a whirl. Well it was stormin out to beat the band, fantastic lightning strikes and thunder claps that shook the building. My room looked out over a courtyard. After the juice kicked in I looked outside and saw those extremely tall people from the Beatles album cover and the Yellow Submarine movie lurkin around in the trees and bushes. Well that got a little heavy so I decided I'd best focus inside. Damned if they're weren't little furry creatures from Star Wars scurring around my room. Don't quite remember how that night ended but kinda remember a lovely young nurse patting my hand and tellin me "it's all right, everything will be fine". Yaeh right! I thought those little furry things were gonna be with me forever. The next day when the Doc came in I told him ta get that damn drip outta here. He laughed and asked if it was a bit strong. I told him hell yes, now please remove it or bottle it up for me ta take home.
Fortunately I survived the surgery and the "drip". Also I only see the furry things occasionally.

Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
Well with all the cool nights and not so warm days, the water temps are dropping. My CC have almost quit feeding. As they consume most of the pellets I throw, I am moving the pellets I have left to the basement in air tight containers to wait for next year. I saw a couple of the bass today and they literally look like footballs. Forage is everywhere and you can see them working the shallows taking advantage of it. Time to shut the aerator down for a few weeks till the skim ice starts showing up. Leaves are changing colors here and, after a hectic and stressful summer, I am actually starting to relax and just enjoy the view! I hope you all take the time to do the same!

[Linked Image]
T
T
It is supposed to be 90 here today!! Not what you think of in Oct and dry as a desert. DAM El Nenyo

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
F
F
fireishot, I like your video. You must be feeding the larger pellets from the sound of the machine and the dispersment amount. I have gone back to just 1/8th inch pellets. It gives more fish a little food in less time. The larger(6-7 inch) cnbg can catch more natural food than the little guys. So I am especially consentrating on feeding the littler fish.I stocked my 2 acre pond in Feb. of this year with 1 inch cnbg from Overtons. We are already catching them 7 inches long and weighing almost 6 ounces!!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
TGW1 #426096 10/08/15 04:02 PM
Zep Offline
Hall of Fame 2014
Hall of Fame 2014
Originally Posted By: TGW1
It is supposed to be 90 here today!! Not what you think of in Oct and dry as a desert. DAM El Nenyo Tracy

Tracy you ain't kidding!
Look at those upcoming temps next week shocked
This isn't fair..lol...we need some Fall football weather!

Fishing has never been about the fish....

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Loads of White Oak Acorns on the ground here. They slowed on dropping now, but the past 3 weeks or so ya needed a hard hat to walk in the woods.

All these yummies for deer and not many around this year. I have occasionally only seen 3 at my place. Darn black bear moved in out back mad

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Saw a flock of 15 to 20 turkeys in a small clearing adjacent to some oak trees the other morning. Must have been the acorns they were after.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Turkeys up here are like rodents. (population)

No clue as to why the State is still protecting them???

JKB #426125 10/08/15 07:29 PM
Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: JKB

No hunting season for turkeys there?

[Linked Image]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bob-O
Dang it Phil, ya made me laugh out loud.
When I had my lung removed they gave me a self administered drip of Opium. The night of my surgery wasn't real pleasurable and so I figured OK, lets give this a whirl. Well it was stormin out to beat the band, fantastic lightning strikes and thunder claps that shook the building. My room looked out over a courtyard. After the juice kicked in I looked outside and saw those extremely tall people from the Beatles album cover and the Yellow Submarine movie lurkin around in the trees and bushes. Well that got a little heavy so I decided I'd best focus inside. Damned if they're weren't little furry creatures from Star Wars scurring around my room. Don't quite remember how that night ended but kinda remember a lovely young nurse patting my hand and tellin me "it's all right, everything will be fine". Yaeh right! I thought those little furry things were gonna be with me forever. The next day when the Doc came in I told him ta get that damn drip outta here. He laughed and asked if it was a bit strong. I told him hell yes, now please remove it or bottle it up for me ta take home.
Fortunately I survived the surgery and the "drip". Also I only see the furry things occasionally.

That had to have been rough for sure!!!

Ya take something on your own and you expect something to go weird, as was the reason in the first place, but the doc say's take this every 3 hours, and you may not be expecting what's up.

One of my girlfriends took one of her mom's meds a couple times and all she saw were carrots falling every where and piling up. Her mom had pancreatic cancer, so it was a tad stiff. Her mom died a few months later.

I cut the potent meds off, and am glad to say, I'm not hearing voices any more.

Last edited by JKB; 10/09/15 07:07 AM.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
Originally Posted By: JKB

No hunting season for turkeys there?

Get in the lottery to draw a tag.

Last edited by JKB; 10/08/15 08:03 PM.
Bill D. Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Bill D.
I have no idea how far north they grow. I do know they are not everywhere, even around here. They seem to pick their spots. I have none on the Box Elders on the north end of our property but they are everywhere on the south end. I think the big thing is you need old trees with scars but, that is just my observation. One cool thing is, once you have found one growing on a scar, look there next year and there will be another one. Best way to spot them is look up. Most of mine grow above eye level.

Happy Hunting!

Having a ribeye tonight for dinner so dropped by some of the older trees and picked up these to sauté in butter to dump on top. grin

Laid a quarter on one for scale in the photo

Mine get a lot bigger but it is early in the season

Attached Images
Box Elder shrooms.JPG
Last edited by Bill D.; 10/11/15 07:44 PM. Reason: Clarification

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
April Newman, georgiaboy27, Keven
Recent Posts
Protecting Minnows
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:43 PM
Major Fail
by ArkieJig - 04/19/24 11:32 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy