Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,901
Posts557,105
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,417
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,111
Who's Online Now
11 members (FireIsHot, Dylanfrely, Bill Cody, Treeguy27, Boondoggle, FishinRod, esshup, PRCS, Layne, nvcdl, H20fwler), 724 guests, and 165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
OP Offline
S
Hi all!
An opportunity rushed my plan for a pond! A newly retired neighbor with a new toy (an excavator) heard of my desire for a pond. The next weekend, he was here digging a big hole! LOL! We did a test hole of about 20x30' at about 12' deep in the center. I have a spring that produces about 2 gallons/minute, so I ran a pipe to it from the spring and let it start filling to see what it would do...It took about 3 weeks, but it was definately filling. About 1/2" every 3 or 4 days, but it was coming up. I figure I will need a liner or some spray liner???Anyway, I'm pretty confident of my water source, so we're going for it. Go big or go home...right? LOL
Not as big as most of the pond folks on the forum, but big for my little valley. I'm going about 30' x 70' area x approx 12' deep. I'm hoping to be able to raise a few fish, but aesthetics is the main goal.
Ordered my "standard reading" books: "Nice Pond, want one", and "Just add water", but need some quick research! I'll be asking a lot of dumb questions and searching the archives! So glad I found this site!

Steve Davison
Montana pond newbie

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I recommend going to the commonly asked q&a section and read that over. Full of valuable info. Welcome.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks NEDOC! Will do! So overwhelming. So much to learn.
What a can of worms I've opened! LOL!

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Steve, welcome to PB. You might be our first poster from Montana.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks Dave!
That surprises me!
I've been scouring the archives, (thanks for the google search hint smile
I'm going to figure out how to send some pictures and get some input.
Also...FREE boulders for anyone that wants them! LOL

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
Thanks Steve but I have my own rocks.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
F
F
Where are you in MT? Are you going for trout or warm water fish?

I would love the rocks!!hehe

Water is the basis of all life, by design!
F
F
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Steve, welcome to PB. You might be our first poster from Montana.

I think there is a former race cAR driver from Charleston SC with a home and cutthroat pond in Montana that did some research here for it but I don't know if he ever posted.

S
OP Offline
S
Heya Fishm_n!
My excavator is SICK of the rocks! LOL
Just hit another that is not moving...about 12' square on the top, and who knows how deep...it's going to stay there! LOL
I'm just south of Helena...5000 ft elevation, so long, cold, snowy winters. We'll get 100+ inches of snow and there will be 2-3'where the pond is from January through May. Worried about sunlight.
I'm thinking YP (yellow perch?) might have a better shot than trout, if it's even possible. My pond is next to a ridge just to the south, so the sunlight will be really low...even in summer it would get only 5-7 hours max. Winter sun will be basically nill. I've decided I really need to do the Bentonite plan, rather than try a liner, from reading the archives...sounds a lot more reliable if it takes.
Ah, the anticipation is killing me!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I'd talk to TJ here on the forum about SoilFloc instead of bentonite.

Nobody that I know of has had long term success with bentonite.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
F
Cool beans! So do you hammer the walleye at Kanyon ferry?

Curious if you have thought about adding a burbot or two? When I travel by I'd love to come take a look. Not sure on the dates but may lion hunt with some friends out of townsend. That rock sounds like some awsome structure.

S
OP Offline
S
I wondered about SoilFloc! I'll look into it some more..Thanks esshup!
Hey Fishm_n! Yeah! I'm hitting Canyon Ferry and Hauser for walleye! Been a bit slow this year. ; Not sure Fish wildlife would let me do burbot, since there is a freshwater creek below me that MAY flow into. It would be nice, but I don't think my pond will be big enough.
I've hunted Townsend area my whole life! We'll have to compare notes!
Love to show off the little pond next time you're in the neighborhood! LOL..small world!

Keep on fishin'!

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your pond project! Liner is most permanent fix IMO, however be prepared to spend $2.00 - $2.50/sq ft including installation, if not more. Depending on the size of your pond, that can add up in a hurry.

Plating clay in 6" lifts up to 24" over your rock can also work. Imperative your core trench has no rock in it - must be made with good clay with high plasticity.

If you want to apply sealant products dry to pond basin, bentonite and Soilfloc have been used successfully together, and Soilfloc alone without bentonite. Feel free to reach out and I'm happy to try and help outline your options above.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

S
OP Offline
S
Thanks teehjaeh!
I was going to go with a liner, but here are my concerns:

I have 3 BIG boulders sticking up that are not moving without dynomite...can't imagine trying to go around with liner.

Also, we have deer, elk and an occasional moose. I've heard horror stories about their hooves breaking through?

I haven't found HOW SoilFloc works on a new pond? Do you fill as much as you can, add the product, fill some more, add product, etc..etc..?
I imagine compacting is still important?

Thanks!

Steve

Lunker
Lunker
Not a liner expert, but I know fine grooming of basin and sidewalls is necessary in order to remove any risks of punctures. I'm guessing boulders would need to be plated with clay, at least 6-12", in order to make liner install safe.

I don't believe deer would pose a liner puncture threat, but Moose and Elk are another matter entirely. Those are much larger critters! I would definitely fence the area if going with a liner and those animals are risks to visit.

Got your PM - will respond.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Boondoggle - 03/28/24 06:45 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails