Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,115
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,419
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
3 members (esshup, Bobbss, teehjaeh57), 728 guests, and 251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
OP Offline
E
First, am new to the forums and am a novice at everything fish. And I am needing help.

10 days ago we stocked our pond with fish from Arkansas Fish Stockers. It is a brand new pond dug this summer, about 3/4 surface acre and filling. Will be almost one surface acre when completely filled. On their recommendation, we put in 50 LMB, 400 coppernose BG, 50 red ear bluegill, 400 channel catfish, and 10 lb FH minnows.

The first few days, had deaths of a few BG (both types), a couple of bass, and a decent number of minnows. I can understand that due to the stress. I figure that is to be expected. We also lost about 26 catfish the first 3 days. Still, I can understand that.

However, 10 days after stocking, the catfish are still dying. I figure now that I have lost another 30 of them. Each morning, I pull out 1-3 of them, with the last two days being 5 each. The stocker wants to blame the water--hard for me to buy. We just don't have water problems here, and it is filled probably with 90% rainwater and about 10% well water (which we drink personally and know to be absolutely neutral 7.0 pH).

I've also wondered if something could be disorienting some of them. For example, one of the dead ones had flipped itself up onto the shoreline--at the steepest slope of the pond. That took a trick. This morning, I went out and reached down to pull out a "dead" one lying on its back/side in very shallow water, and it wriggled out of my hands and took off swimming.

Any thoughts anyone can give me on if this is even remotely normal? Or what could be going on? I am ready to pull my hair out!

Thanks!!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
As you know, without hard data, not much can be "known".

If it was my pond, I'd download this link, and send a sample of water in to be tested asap. Then I'd have hard data to tell the place where you bought the fish.

http://soiltesting.tamu.edu/files/waterweb1.pdf

Catfish are typically pretty bulletproof. If the other more fragile fish aren't kicking the bucket, then I'd suspect the catfish. BUT without the data, who's to know for sure?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
E
OP Offline
E
Thanks for the link on the water testing. I'll go ahead and get some sent off. You would think that in rural TN, there would be options for water testing, but it has been pulling hen's teeth to find someone to do it.

As it turns out though, to your point--I haven't seen anything but catfish dead for several days, with the exception of a minnow here or there. No dead bass or BG popping up.

Welcome to PBF EG!

Are you feeding the catfish? How big are they?

Last edited by Bill D.; 10/06/15 09:35 AM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
E
OP Offline
E
Thank you for the welcome. Glad to be here! I am not feeding the catfish. They are in the 6-9" range. The stocker told me that they should be OK with the minnows, but I have wondered if I should be feeding them...I've seen flies laying on the top of the pond and the catfish come snap them up.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
They'll grow a heck of a lot faster if you feed them. BUT, be prepared to eat a lot of CC. They'll get to 2#-3# pretty quick.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
R
RER Offline
R
Did the minnows have time to breed and develope a population before the predator fish got planted or were they all put in the same time?

out 400 catfish how many you think have died, 50?

Goofing off is a slang term for engaging in recreation or an idle pastime while obligations of work or society are neglected........... Wikipedia
E
OP Offline
E
BobbyRice, I put them all in at the same time (again, I just went on the advice of the stockers), and all were put in together about 10 days ago. So I'm guessing, no time to breed.

Out of the 400 catfish, you are correct. I'm counting about 55 dead.

Thanks!

S
S
Originally Posted By: EngineerGuy
Thank you for the welcome. Glad to be here! I am not feeding the catfish. They are in the 6-9" range. The stocker told me that they should be OK with the minnows, but I have wondered if I should be feeding them...I've seen flies laying on the top of the pond and the catfish come snap them up.

Just a couple thoughts from a person that has only been managing a pond going on three years now.

I would feed the CC. At least some supplemental feed. If they are 6-9" long in a brand new pond that has not had a chance to develop a natural food chain, they are likely one bunch of starving CC.

Also, if the CC are as hungry as you describe, likely any other fish that die or slow down will quickly become CC food so you may never see the deaths of the other fish. I regularly catch 2-3# CC on curly tail jigs and even spinner baits so they can be aggressive feeders if they want to be. And I feed 3-5# of feed per surface acre almost every day.

Just my 2 cents and welcome to the forum.

Edit: you will not need that much feed with small fish. My CC and BG have become chow hounds since stocking.

Last edited by snrub; 10/06/15 10:18 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Very few fish farms hatch their own catfish and practically all buy their fish from one or two sources in the US. Your description of what has and is happening is a pretty typical case of poor handling of the stocker fish.

Different species have different susceptibility to various and numerous stresses of life on a fish farm. Some species tolerate stress better than others. Also water temperature plays a big role in delivering healthy fish. Tempering fish technique from the hauling tank to the pond is important. Not all fish are held in tanks at the farm the same length of time before being sold. There are numerous variables for stresses for different species of fish from a fish farm.

Keep track of all the dead fish numbers that you see. Likely there will be numerous dead fish you don't or will not see float 'up'. When you get the water test back with good results to verify your "case", the fish farm should give you a refund or new fish, if they are reputable and traditionally stand behind the health of their fish. Some fish farms are a lot better than others for reliably delivering healthy fish. Generally the warmer the weather and warmer the water the harder it is to deliver healthy fish. Remember that.

A fairly fish will normally live weeks or even a couple months before it actually starves to death. Pondowners try this, take a healthy fish and put it in a container or cage with constant good water quality and see how long it takes to starve to death. You might be surprised.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/06/15 10:26 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
E
OP Offline
E
Thank you both, Bill Cody and snrub. I'm going to go ahead and pick up some catfish food from the local farmers co-op today and see how that affects things. The stocker (Arkansas Pond Stockers) has said that they would warranty anything dead in the first 3 days. That amounts to about 30-35 of the catfish. They are also replacing a pound of FHM and giving some extra BG and LMB. I'm supposed to meet them in about 2 weeks to pick up the replacements.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
A lot of the fish that die will die after three days as you are experiencing. When smaller fish are stocked into an older pond a big percentage of the new fish that die are eaten by the existing pond residents and little evidence of fish deaths is witnessed.

Y
Lunker
Lunker
Y
Welcome, EG.
Only thing I'd add to the above is that if you need fish in the future, might consider talking to Rex [Rainman on the forum], Fish Hauler and PVC Killer Extraordinaire. He makes runs though TN with some regularity and is a great resource for healthy fish and tow truck profitability.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
All fish farms and fish haulers have experience in killing fish due to various reasons. The big difference is how well or much they learn from each death experience.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
It could easily be stocking issues but I'm betting on water problems. For a quick look, take a sample to a local store that sells aquarium fish and pay to have it tested.

No way I would have stocked 50 bass with only 400 bluegills. And, I wouldn't have stocked them simultaneously with the forage base that still needs to populate the pond. That's a lousy idea.

Also no way that I would have stocked 400 cats in a 3/4 acre pond that is still filling.

I'm questioning on overstocking and a resulting DO crash.

I know nothing about Arkansas Fish Stockers but believe they gave you some really bad advice.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
E
OP Offline
E
Dave Davidson1, as of yesterday, I do have an aeration system installed. I'm only running for a few hours a day at first, gradually building up time--the water is definitely temp-stratified as I found out when I waded. So I'm taking steps to take care of a DO problem if there is one.

I had questions about the stocking recommendation by them simply because there are so many opinions. But if I'm reading you right, I'm guessing that you would say that corrective action at this point would be to stock more BG and maybe FH minnows to build up more forage before I think about supplementing the fish that I've lost. Would that be accurate?

I'm working on the water testing today, although I would be shocked personally. But who knows for sure without data.

Thanks!

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I've run into fish sellers that only want to sell fish, and have only their bottom line $$ as a goal. Not all are that way.

I needed some FHM once, and couldn't wait until I had a large shipment coming. APS was coming to a local feed store in a few days so I purchased 10# of FHM from them. When I weighed the fish, it was only 7#. They didn't weigh the fish as they were put into the bags. It might have been a one time oops, but if I have to buy FHM from them again I will insist that they are weighed. If not, no sale.

If your goal is to have a more balanced pond, at least up here, stocking rates are more inline with 10 BG for every LMB stocked. IF your goal is to grow large BG, then the stocking rate that you have is close, but feeding a good quality fish food and removing any LMB over 14" is also part of the plan.

Without aerating and feeding, a pond can hold around 300# of fish per surface acre. With aeration, it can hold 100 to 200 more pounds. That's total fish weight, not just one species. So, that's where Dave is coming from. It takes approximately 10# of fish eaten to put 1# of weight on one fish. So if you run the numbers, you can see where feeding and aerating are important now in your pond.

Feeding a good quality food is key. Just like feeding lower quality food to your dog. Lower quality food = more poop to pick up from the dog. Same with fish. Feeding a better quality food will help keep water quality issues to a minimum.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I'm not sure where you are located in TN, but I'm in Marshall County. I had a fishkill the last few days in my pond that I suspect is due to a fall turnover-DO crash. Feeling embarrassed about not getting an aeration system in before now. The extended cloudy and cool weather last week and over the weekend is my guess on mine. Probably 40-50 1.5 to 2 lb bass and 10-15 large cats and bluegills. No dead small fish were observed. My pond is about 3/4 acre.

E
OP Offline
E
Coach B, thanks for the heads-up. I'm in Eastern Coffee County, so not too far away. And we certainly had the same type of weather that you are describing. As I mentioned, we just stocked 10 days ago so that is all the weather that we had. I feel for you on the fish kill. BTW, seeing the comment that esshup made regarding APS, I'm wondering where you get your fish from? They were the only ones that I could find so far that delivered into this area.

Esshup, thanks also for the tips. Wish I had those numbers in hand before I bought the fish to begin with, but at least that gives me some ideas of which direction I need to go.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: EngineerGuy
Coach B, thanks for the heads-up. I'm in Eastern Coffee County, so not too far away. And we certainly had the same type of weather that you are describing. As I mentioned, we just stocked 10 days ago so that is all the weather that we had. I feel for you on the fish kill. BTW, seeing the comment that esshup made regarding APS, I'm wondering where you get your fish from? They were the only ones that I could find so far that delivered into this area.

Esshup, thanks also for the tips. Wish I had those numbers in hand before I bought the fish to begin with, but at least that gives me some ideas of which direction I need to go.

You are not alone. Many people come here after they have a problem. What's good about this place is that there all sorts of people here, both in the pond/fish/weed control business and people with ponds. The member base here is so diverse with regards to their profession, that just about any question you have about anything (even not related to ponds) can usually be answered.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
If you get any replacement fish from APStockers I would have them convert it all to numbers of FHM which you will always need more of. To get more specialized advice from us, What are your goals for this pond? Big panfish, big bass or a generalized mixture of all sizes with a few larger sizes of each or a high harvest of catfish in the next several years? Larger catfish can become significant predators in a pond setting. I agree with DD1 unless your goal is to produce a lot of eating size catfish (15"-20") you have stocked too many which will eventually cause you management problems trying to get enough out for a balanced pond. IMO it is actually good you a loosing some CC. If it were my pond I would not have stocked any or no more than 10-25. Catfish are not "bottom cleaners" and do not eat muck, leaves, and bottom debris. 400 CC in a 3/4 ac pond will make the water turbid where water visibility will be 6"-16" and most of this turbidity will not be beneficial plankton but consist almost entirely of suspended sediments. My professional job is to analyze plankton.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/06/15 01:49 PM.

E
OP Offline
E
Bill Cody,

Basically, the goal is the last one that you mentioned--generalized mixture of fish for our family to eat and have a little fun catching. While my family loves eating fish, going out for the thrill of catching big bass is not something that we are into. Maybe my son grows into it sometime, but I don't anticipate that for many years, if ever.

Thanks!

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Okay if your goal is generalized angling catching mostly all sizes of each species, then after your bass have spawned once and their young reaches 8"-10" long you can start harvesting bass and bluegills(BG). After 2 yrs, You will recognize new crop bass when you start catching 6"-8" bass. CC harvest: (eat or toss) everyone you catch that is big enough to clean. CC as larger fish become very hard to catch for average anglers especially if the CC has previously been 'hooked'.

Here is my harvest opinion based on generalized fishing goals for 3/4 ac. Others with experience will add information. Select it to suit your needs. Once BG get to 8", generally harvest any BG up to 20-30 per year. Harvest most all bass over 15"-16" releasing all smaller bass. Big bass are eating more of the larger BG (4"-5") and this reduces the number that grow to larger harvestable BG. Numerous smaller bass keep the BG numbers lower (predation) of smaller individuals (1"-3")providing less competition and more food for remaining fish for growth. Following these guidelines will keep the pond in a good mixed fish balance. Whenever you have any type of pond problems or questions return to this thread for advice so we have your pond history.

Feeding the fish some good quality fish food on a regular basis (3-7days/wk) will produce more fish, faster growing fish, and generally larger fish compared to if they were not fed pellets. Amount to feed daily for general angling can be 1 cup to up to a half gallon of pellets. Add pellets at each feeding as they are consumed not all at once unless adding just 1 cup of pellets.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 10/06/15 02:12 PM.

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
An old rule of thumb, and it varies somewhat, is about 100 pounds of predators per acre. If your cats and bass live you will blow by that in a hurry. And, they will be getting pretty hungry. At that point, it is generally too late to add more groceries.

Yessir, I think they were looking out for their interest instead of yours.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
As DD1 points out a lot of fish farms emphasize too many predators so later when the pond runs out of forage fish, the pond owner is back on a regular basis to buy more small fish and or forage fish. $$$$$$$$

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:28 PM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails