Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,132
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,422
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
12 members (Boondoggle, Sunil, Bill Cody, FishinRod, jpsdad, Augie, Jason D, PRCS, Shorthose, Brett B, Layne, Angler8689), 957 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
You can really slow down now. Heck, the big deal is indoor plumbing.

Hey Dave you got that right!! Nice to have that working! A nice hot shower at the end of the day is priceless! And not having to walk out into the woods with the woodticks to go to the bathroom is pretty nice too!!! smile smile

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
That is a lot of work and well done. All that scaffold work makes me dizzy. Rock work - well that is an obvious workout. Keep at it - looks great.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Online Content
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Nice job on a great project. You, family, and friends will spend many enjoyable times there.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey all,

Well we are back at it again! If some of you recall last year we were putting up the ceiling in the living room, dining room and kitchen area. Well we had to stop short so we could put in a starter box and pipe for the wood stove I want so thats what we worked on this weekend. Here are some pics.

Here we are cutting the starter box at the right angle. None of this is as easy as it looks with this angled roof! We got it though.

Here I am making the box in the ceiling for the starter box to fit up into.

Here we are fitting it up in there to make sure it lines up right angle wise!

Ok everything seems to fit ok so we marked center and I went up top to start tearing up my roof! Ughh that was hard to do having to put a hole in a perfectly good roof just don't seem right! smile

Well we got the hole squared away and then we screwed the starter box in from the top down with about 8, 1.5 inch screws to hold it in place. Here my Dad is predrilling me some holes in the box.

All that went smooth and here I am make sure we are level. We had to trim some wood a couple times to get the pipe to fit just right but we got it!

Here is the finished product! Well except for some Black Jack we slopped on there real good to help prevent any possible leaks. But it turned out pretty good I was happy with it! Now we can finish that side of the ceiling!

Hope you all enjoyed our first update of the year!

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Good job man!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Well, about time! I was beginning to think that maybe the 4 sale sign was swingin' on the gate. Looks good, RC. What are the mid range goals for progress?

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Looks good RC, do you think you have enough length on that pipe? It needs to be a couple feet above the tallest part of the roof in order to draw correctly.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Brettski
Well, about time! I was beginning to think that maybe the 4 sale sign was swingin' on the gate. Looks good, RC. What are the mid range goals for progress?

Hey Ski I know right! It's been a while! No for sale sign baby! I will die before I sell this place!

Mid range goals.

1. Get starter box and pipe in for wood stove!
2. Finish ceiling on that side now that starter pipe is in.
3. Put in AC unit on other side of cabin so we can finish the ceiling on that side as well.
4. Finish up ceiling in living room, dining room and kitchen and put up trim.
5. If we get time put in all the bottom kitchen cabinets we just bought at home depot for 20 percent off!! I like 20 percent off!! smile

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Looks good RC, do you think you have enough length on that pipe? It needs to be a couple feet above the tallest part of the roof in order to draw correctly.

Hey Spark I hope so! The guy at the place we bought the stuff from said the pipe had to be at least 2 feet for every 10 feet down from the peak? U can't see it with flange on but I think we are around 2.5 feet. If's it not enough we can always pull pipe fairly quick and put on a 6 footer as all of that pipe is push and twist on so that's nice. I guess we'll see first time we stoke it up???

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Two feet based on your particular roof pitch? No matter, like you said, if it doesn't draw correctly you can always add additional sections.

Looking great!

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah were not exactly sure on that but the pipe we are using comes in 6 foot 4 foot and 2 foot sections you just take the top off and push and turn on another piece if need be. So we may have to get 2 more feet? Thanks for the heads up though always good to have feed back no matter what!! smile

The cabin's looking great, RC and it's been fun watching the progress with you and your dad, and I'm pretty sure I've seen your mom in a few pictures as well. Priceless memories!

On the stove pipe, Spark's correct in that it needs to be 2' above the tallest part of the roof, for draw reasons as well as safety reasons.

Here's a good explanation pulled off the internet, as even my insurance info doesn't explain it very well:

Because a stove pipe is responsible for carrying hot air and deadly gases up and out of your home, it must extend far enough above the top of the roof to ensure that these emissions blow away instead of traveling back into your home. Building codes vary by region, but there is a standard minimum height for stove pipes above the peak of the roof.

The top of a chimney pipe must extend at least 2 feet above the peak of the roof, if the pipe is within 10 feet of the peak. If the pipe is farther than 10 feet from the roof peak, it must be 2 feet above the highest point of the roof within 10 feet. In other words, the highest point within a 10-foot circle of the pipe is the height that must be cleared by at least 2 feet. To determine this height, measure 10 feet horizontally toward the roof from the point 2 feet below the top of the pipe. The cap on top of the pipe should not be be included in the measurement. The line must not intersect the roof within 10 feet of the chimney.

So to recap, if your pipe is farther than 10' from the peak you'll want to measure a horizontal line from that 10' point to your pipe (using a level) and from there it needs to extend another 2' above that. If the pipe is within 10' of the peak, run a (level) horizontal line from the peak to your pipe and extend it 2' above that.

That's my understanding of how high the pipe should extend, if I understand this correctly, which is always questionable smile.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
Some more....

"Most wood stove manufacturers require a minimum stack height of at least 13-15 feet, measured from the floor of the stove. Code requires that all woodstove and wood fireplace chimneys must extend at least two feet above any part of the roof within ten feet. Given that topographical and atmospheric conditions can vary considerably from house to house, it is possible for a chimney to comply with these minimum specifications but still fail to extend upward into air of low-enough density to establish ambient updraft. It is not uncommon for fireplaces and stoves in houses that are surrounded by hills or trees, for example, or that are located in the high-density air that often surrounds large bodies of water, to need more chimney height than the minimum required by code"

Last edited by Bill D.; 05/05/15 06:00 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
D
D
I have the actual formula for this in front of me, but when I try to type out the definition of the picture as I look at it, it is confusing to read. SO instead of confusing you, I will post a link to the document. Go to page 27.

Yukon Eagle Installation

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nice work RC. Looks like you will be busy.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Thanks guys for the info we will double check for sure and be careful when we test run which will be a while yet.

Thanks Eric we do have a bit to do for sure. Plus we want to come up with a fall plan this year maybe for a couple of months. Or we may never get this cabin done!! smile My dad says he getting to old for this and is afraid he may not have enough gas in the tank to much longer! So this year and next we will be humping it both spring and fall. Hopeuflly by then we will be real close with al the major stuff at least!

RC

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
More progress on the Holtz Ranch! Haha! smile

Ok we finished off the ceiling all way down on both sides now were putting in one of the last boards here. Of course everything has to be trimmed out yet! Thank God for trim!!!! smile

Then we finished up the hallway ceiling.

And with some of the left over boards we had just enough to finish off the closet and put a light in.

Then we tackled putting in the AC/Heat unit I bought! Here are are trying to figure out how big a hole to put in the wall YIKES!!!

Here dad is framing it up and getting it ready for the AC unit! we braced it good on the outside as well and then will paint the braces same color as cabin.

Here is the final result it's in it's sturdy and its working! Figured this would be good enough for the cabin as it cools up to 1400 sq feet and the cabin is only 900. The heat works good too plus we will have the wood stove as well for main heat!

Last edited by RC51; 06/01/15 09:44 AM.

C
CMM Offline
C
Wow, looks super. I must admit to being confused about what appears to be a doorknob mounted on the framing above the light switch. &#128528;

Your memories will always include this time. Cmm

CMM

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: CMM
Wow, looks super. I must admit to being confused about what appears to be a doorknob mounted on the framing above the light switch. &#128528;

Your memories will always include this time. Cmm

LOL that does look like a door knob doesn't it! smile Well it's not. It's a temp spot for the remote and holder to the ceiling fan that is about 14 feet high on a beam. It does look like one though!

RC

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey everyone just a quick update! We are back at it!! smile Started working on the kitchen area this last month and it's starting to come together. Here are a few pics of the last few week ends work.

Putting down the pre flooring.

Here my Dad is getting the G.D. ready to hook up to the electric.

Here we are with the cabinets kinda set in place checking it out.

Here is a farther view from the dinning room area. It's starting to look like a kitchen.

Here the cabinets are in with counter tops. Were not quite done yet but the sink and garbage disposal are functional.

More updates to come soon!!

RC

Last edited by RC51; 10/06/15 08:37 AM.

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Originally Posted By: adirondack pond
I see your off and running RC, in the mornings when it hurts to get out of bed, just think of how great the place will be if you survive. laugh

A quote from a old friend on pondboss. Ahh yes AP I have survived and it's getting better and better every day my friend! We have come a long ways sense you posted this back in 2011 that's for sure!!

Have not heard from you in quite some time hope you are doing good!!

RC

Last edited by RC51; 10/09/15 12:45 PM.

T
T
Very nice!

Are you on city water/sewer?

E
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
E
Nice work RC ! !

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Tbar we are city water yes. But have a sewer also. So at least we don't need a well for our water.

Thanks guys it's been a long road for us. We are getting closer. Course we only work on her a few months out of the year, but with that said I only have about a 8 thousand dollar debt right now too. I figure when were all done land and all it will be triple what I paid for it all and paid for!! I like paid for!! smile

RC

RC51 Offline OP
Ambassador
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Lunker
This is what's sad..... My entire cabin project and everything I did to put this out here is gone.... frown frown frown Wow what a epic waste...

Ugh, Sigh, and Ugh again...

RC

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:57 AM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 09:19 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 08:19 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday
Eagles Over The Pond Yesterday