Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,947
Posts557,808
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
14 members (catscratch, Boondoggle, TLL, FishinRod, BCR Pond, Theeck, Sunil, Justin W, Amhano8r, Steve Clubb, Terry Battisti, Donatello, GunBoss, Fishingadventure), 1,080 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
any updates on fish size?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
With the cool temps here, I don't have anything further to report. (Well, the 30-40 mph winds did blow the cage with the Optimal HBG into the pier, and it tore part of the mesh loose from the cage. I don't know how many are now swimming around in the pond... mad)

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Lunker
Lunker
I have seven YOY RES in my aquarium that have been converted over to eating Optimal in a "crumble" form. I made them go cold turkey on the blood worms and night crawlers that I was feeding them, they gave me "the fin" for a solid week and they still act like they despise but their attitude is improving.

laugh

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
With the cool temps here, I don't have anything further to report. (Well, the 30-40 mph winds did blow the cage with the Optimal HBG into the pier, and it tore part of the mesh loose from the cage. I don't know how many are now swimming around in the pond... mad)

Sorry to hear that Scott. Been there done that with ice and dropping a fish into the pond when removing them from the cage. I've finally come to the conclusion that if I don't want fish from a cage in a pond, the cage has to be in another pond.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: Shorty
I have seven YOY RES in my aquarium that have been converted over to eating Optimal in a "crumble" form. I made them go cold turkey on the blood worms and night crawlers that I was feeding them, they gave me "the fin" for a solid week and they still act like they despise but their attitude is improving.

laugh

laugh

Man I hate it when they give you the "fin!" Makes you think that you abused them or something. My one and only GSF was accidentally caught this summer...he gave me both fins when I turned him back! He was one pissed off fish!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
"The Fin" needs to be archived in the classics laugh

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1

Sorry to hear that Scott. Been there done that with ice and dropping a fish into the pond when removing them from the cage. I've finally come to the conclusion that if I don't want fish from a cage in a pond, the cage has to be in another pond.

That's why I use my pond as a test bed. I don't have clients mad at me that way for screwing up their pond. wink They'll have to swim fast to avoid the LMB.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S

You just think the wind blew the cage into the pier. Never underestimate the determination of HBG.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
C
C
Still feeding Optimal about 6sec once a day from two feeders.Colder temps in North Mississippi so kinda expect activity to slow down more and more over next two weeks...

So far been happy with dispersion from TH feeders and aggressiveness.

"I Subscribe"
N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Just an FYI, I have been trying the Optimal feed in my cheap Moultrie Feedcaster 30 gallon feeder and it works very well. I struggled with the feeder plugging with Aquamax 600, but so far it seems to handle Optimal much better. In fact, it seems to throw it farther and easier.

esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
That is good to know.

I tested some larger fish food pellets today in the TH feeder. Approximately 9.5mm, actual size was running from .375" to .490"

The TH feeder threw the pellets without any further adjustment. Another piece to the puzzle of the Carnivore food.

Trying to figure out the largest pellet that the TH feeder can reliably throw without any irreversible changes required to it.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
My Moultrie struggled with AMax 600 during periods of high humidity. So I suppose the TH may have similar issues with the carnivore food if you push the limits of size too much. 9.5mm seems HUGE. That would be awesome.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
That is good to know.

I tested some larger fish food pellets today in the TH feeder. Approximately 9.5mm, actual size was running from .375" to .490"

The TH feeder threw the pellets without any further adjustment. Another piece to the puzzle of the Carnivore food.

Trying to figure out the largest pellet that the TH feeder can reliably throw without any irreversible changes required to it.

Definition of irreversible? wink

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
esshup Offline OP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
OP Offline
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
That is good to know.

Definition of irreversible? wink

laugh

Something that doesn't require a reciprocating saw, hole saw or tin snips to adjust.

Things that probably 50% of the pond owners don't want to do, or can't do.

If it requires some adjusting or changing out of the spin plate, or something easy like that, then it's no big deal.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

C
Lunker
Lunker
C
I'm wondering how waterproof the Optimal bags are. I'm headed to place in a few hours and it'll be raining all the way by the looks of the forecast. I guess I could put the bags in trash bags.

It's true hard work never killed anybody, but I figure, why take the chance?
Ronald Reagan

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
I'm guessing they're more waterproof than most feedbags, but I'd cover them up.

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
B
B
Would anyone be willing to post the tag for this feed? I am wondering what the protein and fat content is. Thanks

O
O
Just curious if anybody else had ordered optimal from the optimal website? I ordered two bags a couple days ago and have never received any conformation of my order or shipping. Is this normal or should I be trying to contact someone through the website?

I Subscribe
1 acre pond with YP,HBG,RES,HSB,SMB,GSH,FHM
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
ozarkfisher...I carry optimal and will be in Little Rock/Keo tomorrow as part of a run delivering Optimal, Texas Hunter feeders and some fishies.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Originally Posted By: NEDOC
My Moultrie struggled with AMax 600 during periods of high humidity. So I suppose the TH may have similar issues with the carnivore food if you push the limits of size too much. 9.5mm seems HUGE. That would be awesome.

NEDOC, TH feeders do not suffer the humidity problems of creating sticky food on the spinner plates that "deer" feeders will always have. Deer feeders leave pellets exposed to morning fog on the pond where TH Feeders have the feed/spinner plate recessed deeply into a dead air cavity so high humidity/fog is almost a non issue entirely. Plus, the blower unit on TH feeders run after pellets are stopped from dropping to clear almost all residual feed in the chute.

O
O
Rainman, Thanks for the offer If I was in town I would probably meet you. I actually just received a confirmation of my order through my email. I was just beginning to get worried since I had not heard of anyone else ordering straight from optimal's website.

I Subscribe
1 acre pond with YP,HBG,RES,HSB,SMB,GSH,FHM
S
S
I was in the same situation. Contacted them today via their website to inquire about lack of order confirmation, order status and shipping/delivery details. Within an hour I received an order confirmation, but no order update or delivery information.

L
L
Same here, I ordered a bag from the Optimal website, got a confirmation of the order but that's all, no scheduled delivery or tracking number. After a week of nothing I went back to the site and found no phone number there. Emailed a few times the next week and still no response. Finally got an email on the day the order arrived, over 3wks from day I placed the order. I'll be ordering from elsewhere, next time. No excuse for poor communication with the customer.

O
O
Hey guys sorry to here that .. Making new warehouses to help with shipping ..so maybe something happened .. But can Lponds and ozarks private message me so I can fix and then correct the issue ..
Matt Rayl with Optimal

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
New 1.5 Ac pond in NC. YP for harvest is my goal.
by BCR Pond - 04/19/24 03:42 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy
by teehjaeh57 - 04/19/24 01:36 PM
Protecting Minnows
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:46 AM
What’s the easiest way to get rid of leaves
by esshup - 04/19/24 09:23 AM
How many channel cats in 1/5 acre pond?