Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Mcarver, araudy, Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi
18,502 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,963
Posts557,993
Members18,503
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,538
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,151
Who's Online Now
7 members (bmicek, Fishingadventure, esshup, anthropic, 4CornersPuddle, gautprod, FishinRod), 1,192 guests, and 252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
I really enjoy the site. Everyones contributions are great! So much knowledge in one place is great for someone like me.
I'm in process of purchasing a 7 acre pond that has been in the family for 20 some years. It is 28' deep and the ave is about 16'. About 20 years ago we re-stocked with LMB and bluegills after killing off the other fish. We do have a crappie population that seemed to pop up as well. I have bought the video tape on raising trophy bass and contacted another member of the board for advice. It seems that the Bass in the 15" range are under one pound, what size slot limit should I put in place for the smaller bass? The bluegill population is fatastic, nice and big gills. Should I whack any crappie I catch, or is the pond big enough to support them? I have a ton more questions, so I'm just going to shoot, and if anyone can contribute I would appreciate it!
Is it possible to pellet train fish that are already established? My main goal is to introduce hybrid stripers, is there a forage fish that I can introduce into the population that will not throw off the ecology of the pond by getting to big (threadfin shad?), but would regenorate quick? Would the stripers throw off the balance of LMB and Bluegills? I also have some weed control issues, but I will post those later. Thanks for Help!!!!
Jason

T
T
I also inherited a 7 acre pond three years ago. I would suggest you 1. take all crappie out that are caught - they are extreme predators that will compete with your bass 2. yes existing fish can be trained to come to feed 3. slot limit depends on overall health/numbers of your fish - it relative weights are low, pull all fish out under 14 inches assuming your goal is to grow large bass - thinning out the numbers of bass along with feeding will improve your pond 4. more than anything, invest some money in having a biologist do a lake survey so you know for sure what you are working with - good luck - it is a blast!

E
E
Dear Newcomer:

Welcome to Pond Boss. Sounds as though you have an interesting opportunity/challenge ahead. Seven acres is plenty of water to show your knowledge n prowess as a pond manager . . . or for Mother Nature to teach you a few lessons in reality.

You mentioned the hybrid striper as a marquee gamefish for your pond. Fisheries biologists on the Pond Boss Field Advisory Staff heartily endorse the hybrid striper, for several reasons:

* With rare exception, the hybrid striper is sterile. When a fish can not spawn that means you have absolute count and control on its numbers. This virtually eliminates the usual population imbalance that often occurs when a predator can increase its numbers.

* Hybrid stripers take high-protein pellets. This reduces pressure on the forage base.

* Hybrids are readily available from fish farmers, at competitive prices.

* When hooked, hybrids pull like a pure-bred striper, but with the speed and gymnastic flair of a smallmouth.

At Pond Boss, we never forsake the native species, but if it sounds as though we're big fans of the hybrid, we are!

Mark McDonald
Editor, Pond

J
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the valuable input guys! Mark, on the Striper program, I have a chance to purchase one pound fish in the spring for $3 each. I like this idea, because I could start fishing right away. My question is, how many should I stock for a 7 acre pond with the hybrid being the marquee fish? Also, how many minnow's should I put in the pond prior to releasing the stripers? I will also pellet feed the fish automatically, idealy I want to lessen the opportunity (for the striper) of prey the established fish. That being said, I dont think I would be real upset three years down the road when I'm hauling in 8-10 pound stripers as my main pond fish! Thanks for the help!

E
E
Jason:

With supplementary feed (high-protein pellets), you can get away with stocking hybrid stripers at a fairly high density . . . say, 15-to-20 to the surface acre.

One consideration: You are adding to your pond a serious, open-water predator. Will hybrids interfere with your plans for trout? For bass? The answer: When stocked in at 15-to-20 the acre, the hybrids almost certainly will be a negative factor in growth-rates of your other species.

I once stocked hybrids in an established bass-bluegill lake, at a rate of 5 adults (12 inchers that weighed 10 ounces), and the results were positive. No problems with my bass at all.

BTW, if you can buy 1-pound hybrids, delivered, for $3 apiece, and they truly weigh a full pound, buy 'em, hoss. I recently paid $3 each for 8-inchers that weighed maybe 6 ounces. And I had to go pick them up.

Shows what a shrewd fellow I am.

Oh, you didn't answer my previous . . . last name and hometown?

Mark McDonald
Editor

Hall of Fame
Lunker
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Jason,
I'm from northern Indiana too -- northeastern Indiana to be exact.(See profile for town). Just curious where you are getting the hybrids from.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

J
OP Offline
J
Mark,
Program sounds great!!! I cant wait to get started this spring. At 20 per acre, I should have some fun with the fly rod!!! Yeee Haaa!

Unfortunatly, I have to pick the hybrid's up at $3 each. Maybe Cecil can help me out with a fish hauler in the area? I'm getting the hybrids from Advanced Aquacultural Technologys in Syracuse, IN. The guy grows these fish for the food market. He is nice enough to let me purchase a few hundred in the spring when he has more fish available.

BTW, my last name is Nunemaker and I'm from the Amish country of Nappanee IN.

B
Lunker
Lunker
B
This has been an interesting discussion on the merits of hybrids stripers. I have an 8 acre lake in Ms and have often thought of stocking some hybrids. One question that comes to mind is will the hybrids feed on small bass? Our lake has always had a problem with being bass-crowded. We can't fish often enough to keep the bass numbers down. Anyone have any thoughts?

K
K
Mark,

My situation is slightly different. I'm in the process of building a 4-5 acre pond in southern Il. I plan to stock minnows this fall as the pond fills and then blue gill in the spring. Depending on water levels LMB will follow in the fall. I would also like to stock some Hybrid Stripers for sport fishing but the main purpose will be for LMB/bluegill. I probably won't be feeding at the start since the pond is about a hour away from home and don't currently have power at the site

Is it ok to stock the hybrids if I won't be feeding? Should the Hybrids be stocked at the same time as the LMB or wait and stock larger hybrids later? From your note I was planning on using the 5/acre rate you recomended. Should this rate be different if I'm stocking the LMB and stripers at the same time? Also should I reduce the LMB stock rate to compensate for the stripers?

Thanks for your help. Keep up the good work with the magazine.

Kevin

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bobbss, dap, Gearhead, gman5298, hidden pastures
Recent Posts
Concrete pond construction
by esshup - 04/27/24 07:04 PM
Caught a couple nice bass lately...
by nvcdl - 04/27/24 03:56 PM
Inland Silver sided shiner
by Fishingadventure - 04/27/24 01:11 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build