Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Ponderific2024, MOLINER, BackyardKoi, Lumberman1985, Bennettrand
18,500 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,962
Posts557,959
Members18,500
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,534
ewest 21,499
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,146
Who's Online Now
6 members (emactxag, catscratch, Sunil, KenHorton, Boondoggle, Bigtrh24), 1,151 guests, and 485 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
D
I see now why hydrating feed makes sense now. The bigger guys are deeper in the cooler water, hydrated feed sinks to them.

See there is a knack to growing very large perch too eh.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
C
C
Cecil, I'm not sure of their thought process or training, This was the quote I had from a very nice biologist but who I think misses out by not keeping up with the wealth of knowledge here on PB.

-------------
Your pond is small and you will want to keep the fish community simple. I strongly recommend fathead minnows, largemouth bass, bluegills and channel catfish as your target community. Most of the rest of your listed species do not do well in small ponds. I will put the fatheads in first to get them established then put in largemouth bass (both in year 1) to ensure they can get big enough to keep the bluegills populations in check when you introduce them. In year 2, put in bluegills and channel catfish. These are all fish that should be available from private aquaculturists in our state.
--------------

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
I'm going to follow Bill's experient with keen interest. They don't call him Dr. Perca for nothin.'

About a month weeks ago I forgot to turn on the compressor for the night. So cranked it up in the morning to compensate and forgot to turn it off before the wife and I took a swim. Swimming was not as comfortable as normal becase the water was quite cool!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
Cecil, I'm not sure of their thought process or training, This was the quote I had from a very nice biologist but who I think misses out by not keeping up with the wealth of knowledge here on PB.

-------------
Your pond is small and you will want to keep the fish community simple. I strongly recommend fathead minnows, largemouth bass, bluegills and channel catfish as your target community. Most of the rest of your listed species do not do well in small ponds. I will put the fatheads in first to get them established then put in largemouth bass (both in year 1) to ensure they can get big enough to keep the bluegills populations in check when you introduce them. In year 2, put in bluegills and channel catfish. These are all fish that should be available from private aquaculturists in our state.
--------------

That makes good sense actually but they are not typically taught much about ponds. I don't remember anything about recreational pond culture in my Michigan fisheries curriculum. But then my degree was only a technical degree so maybe there is something more at the university level? I will however put my two year education up against any four year program out there, which included a summer internship and a trout hatchery. Lots of hands on application. And our prof was really hard on us. I think only two or three of us graduated out of the progam in the class of 78.'

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/08/15 06:23 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
I think Cecil is correct. Most state biologists are not taught much about fisheries of ponds and what they are taught is the information that was basic pond management from the "old guard". Keep recommending the same tried and true methods to keep it as simple as possible which can work well. What they learn is basic concepts that have been available since the 1940's and 50's. All of us in the Pond Boss family are learning new pond management methods and trying fish combinations as practical research for better ways to enjoy the private water resources.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/08/15 07:41 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
The few fish hatcheries in Michigan only sell HBG, not regular BG. I wonder if the cart is leading the horse or if it's the other way around?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
The few fish hatcheries in Michigan only sell HBG, not regular BG. I wonder if the cart is leading the horse or if it's the other way around?

My thinking is people think the DNR is right about not being able to manage regular bluegills in a pond, and hence growers don't get much call for regular bluegill.

One grower in Michigan told me he doesn't get much call for regular bluegills.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J

From the 2015 list of registered fish farms in MI, 31 farms list BG and 30 farms list HBG. Most list both as well as GSF and other sunfish. Whether they are actually producing and selling them or not is another question.

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
JKB, can you throw up a link here to that website that lists the places that have BG?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: JKB

From the 2015 list of registered fish farms in MI, 31 farms list BG and 30 farms list HBG. Most list both as well as GSF and other sunfish. Whether they are actually producing and selling them or not is another question.

Yeah that's the thing. It may be different now but several years back I was looking for regular strain bluegills and the Michigan suppliers I called only carried hybrids even though they listed "bluegill." It's been so long ago I don't remember how many I called. This was years before VHS testing showed up.

I do know I ended up with bluegills from Keystone in Illinois, then Bruce in Nebraska, and a couple of places in Ohio. All but Keystone and Bruce probably were wholesales from Arkansas which I understand is quite common. Many suppliers make numerous trips to Arkansas to get everything from grass carp, to red ears, to bluegills and bass. Then just hold and resell.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/09/15 11:53 AM.

B
B
I wonder if the shift toward HBG is an economical one for the fisheries. If you buy BG, you are pretty much set unless you have some sort of catastrophe (due to their prolific breeding). If you buy HBG, you will need to keep coming back to buy more because of their breeding properties.

Sean

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Boburk
I wonder if the shift toward HBG is an economical one for the fisheries. If you buy BG, you are pretty much set unless you have some sort of catastrophe (due to their prolific breeding). If you buy HBG, you will need to keep coming back to buy more because of their breeding properties.

Sean

I believe that's part of it.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
The hatcheries I deal with offer native as well as HBG. I tend to think we are still dealing with the misconceptions and half-truths of 30 years ago. And that's with both state and private fisheries personnel.

I've sat in on a couple seminars, one private and one state, and neither would recommend HBG.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
JKB, can you throw up a link here to that website that lists the places that have BG?

Sure...

Michigan Department of Agriculture & Rural Development

Go down to the link where it says List of "Licensed Aquaculture Facilities in Michigan". It opens up a 32 page PDF that lists facilities by county.

MDARD is running it now -vs- MDEQ or MDNR or when those two were combined, which was kinda like hell for everyone.

J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
The hatcheries I deal with offer native as well as HBG. I tend to think we are still dealing with the misconceptions and half-truths of 30 years ago. And that's with both state and private fisheries personnel.

I've sat in on a couple seminars, one private and one state, and neither would recommend HBG.

Yeah Spark... I think it's more of what the prevailing winds are doing at the time. I've never heard of imports for pond stocking, but then again, I'm not the one being paid to police this.

I do know that the fish farms up here work with each other. They do business with each other, buy/sell to each other to fit their needs. One produces this and is set up for it, they sell to others that are not set up for this, but they must list any species that could possibly be in their possession in their facility or on the farm. A few just put everything, but they seem to be the brokers.

My honest opinion is the people who fought hard to get things turned around up here would welcome anyone new to jump in and contribute.

Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: Boburk

Sean

I believe that's part of it.

....all you need is one feisty male GSF "accidentally" dropped in yer puddle with those lady BG! I have become a huge fan of the fight and growth of HBG. Ooops! Was that a GSF I "accidentally" bucket stocked!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Quote from my post above. “Current surface temp at 6" is 85F and at 6ft 79F. The temperature difference meets the technical definition of stratification. I am running aeration about 3 hrs per day early morning (actual run time is 6am to 9am) . Temps were taken late afternoon and I think the temperature difference was due to daytime heat accumulation. I will try and remember to retake the temperatures when the aeration stops tomorrow morning.”

I am back with the end of my dock, morning water temperature reading after aerating 3 hrs for comparing the 6” sub- surface temperature and one at 6ft. Surface temp, post 3 hrs aeration was 79.5F and at 6ft it was 79.5F. Evidently the 6 degree F thermal stratification noted above was due to daytime heating. Closest diffuser to the end of the dock is 60 ft away in deeper water.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/09/15 09:15 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Hawkeye in Ohio, JStephens, optimalfishfood
Recent Posts
YP Growth: Height vs. Length
by Omaha - 04/25/24 05:34 PM
What did you do at your pond today?
by FishinRod - 04/25/24 03:24 PM
1/2 Acre Pond Build