Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,116
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
2 members (Dave Davidson1, jpsdad), 719 guests, and 204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
L
George,
For the few times we communicated on the forums here, it has been wonderful and a pleasure. I would have loved to met you in person, but I cannot seem to pull away for one of those conferences so I miss out on all of the fun.

God bless you on your next journey, and hope heaven is all it is cracked up to be! One could hope that the ponds are well-stocked, and it is always the "Magic hour" like in "The River Runs Through it".

Mark

R
R
George,
I'm yet another young buck that you have been an inspiration to and you didn't even know it. You are certainly a staple in the Pond Boss family. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us, providing guidance and sound counsel. Because of you, I have learned how to be a better Pond Boss and steward of my land. Peace be with you brother George.
Tommy

Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Geo

You already know my feelings - just another big thank you for your influence on the forum, and myself directly. Please check in on me from time to time, ensure I'm doing good work, going the extra mile, helping others always, and casting well. I will watch for signs, and I'm counting on them.

TJ

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

T
T
Hay George, I forgot to mention earlier, I am now fishing my pond using a fly rod only. The fish are not that big but because of you, I most likely be using the fly rod most of the time. Wishing u the BEST.

Tracy

PS, your pic's of the wife's and your fish on the fly has had influence on me smile

Last edited by TGW1; 09/04/15 07:27 AM. Reason: sp

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
We love ya George!! Don't catch all the big ones when you get up there save some ok!! smile

“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also.

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
RC51 #422995 09/04/15 09:02 AM
R
R&R Offline
R
Dang'it have not been on in a while. God Speed to you George. Always enjoyed all of your post and pic's and thoughts and prayers with you and your family.

"If you aim at nothing you'll hit it every time"

Zig Ziglar
OP Offline
I talked briefly with George and Nicky today. George is reading Pond boss nearly every day and has been watching this thread. George is humbled to see how many live he has touched and made better over the years here on Pond Boss. His challenge to you all is to take the time to help others and make our world a better place to fly fish!!

True to the end, George continues to remind me to check up on my fingerlings and ensure I have the right forage for them. He also reminds me to get bigger pellets for my feeders now that we are getting close to fall. He reminded me that my fingerlings can eat bigger pellets and I should be throwing a larger size for them for maximum growth.

Brian

The one thing is the one thing
A dry fly catches no fish
Try not to be THAT 10%
George, I haven’t posted because I just didn’t know what I could say. So instead, I chose to make you a promise. I promise to continue on the course we’ve traveled together, to not get detoured, and to share all you’ve taught me as freely as you did with me. Please rest comfortably knowing that your knowledge and accomplishments will continue on, and many more will learn from them.

Load and shoot forever buddy, because a fly in the air don’t catch nothin’.
Allen Hall

AL

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
George, I had a strong vision of you this morning when I pulled in an obese 2-1/2 year old hybrid striped bass that barely made it to shore due to its eating habits. It sure put up an impressive fight. It, and several of its siblings will be the main course of our holiday weekend family get-together.

As I've said many times before in person and on the forum, if it wasn't for you, I'd never have known the joys of hybrid striped bass in small ponds.

I also want to thank so many of your good friends, like Bob Lusk, Dave Davidson, FireIsHot (Al), Highflyer (Brian), ESSHUP (Scott), and so many others who keep us informed about you through their visits and calls with you.

Just remember, as I've said before, I want to be just like you when I grow up. I think I'm getting there.

Thanks for all the people you have inspired.
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
C
C
George,

You were one of the first guys I talked to about the Camelot bell bass. Equally important, you took the time to ask me real life questions about what I do professionally and we shared a few stories. You're a true gift to this earth!

Axe em jacks, your friend,

-Cav

F
F
George, My father was born and raised in Shiner Texas. He used to work in the brewery when he was young. He too loved that Shiner beer.He also bought me my first flyrod. I think ya'll would have hit it off great! Happy Happy forever more fishing to you!!

Dear Alcohol, We had a deal where you would make me funnier, smarter, and a better dancer... I saw the video... We need to talk.
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
george, we're all thinking about you.

Sunil #423157 09/06/15 08:32 PM
P
P
Thinking of you everyday!

OP Offline
I was able to fly back to Texas yesterday and see George and his family. I was met with a fist bump, and hearty handshake, that indomitable smile and a hug. For those who know George well, it was 5 minutes and 12 seconds before George "corrected" me about the way I was working on the big pond!

As always, George was passing on wisdom and lessons the whole time we talked. I again got in trouble for talking about him to his family, we all had a great laugh!!

George is a man that knows he is looking at death square in the eyes for the third and last time. Yet in spite of all that, he still continues to care more about us and ensuring we have been taught the hard lessons. It is truly humbling. One of the last thing we talked about was values. It was the only time I have seen a tear in his eyes since the diagnosis. George's passion for this great country and our way of life is at the highest level. His love for passing on experiences and lessons learned remains his bedrock.

He is the definition of NO sympathy, NO regrets, and he is one of my heros

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
G
G
George, about 3 years ago you were the first one to respond to my initial post, and welcome me to the forum. It has been an honor to participate in a forum so deeply influenced by someone of your caliber. I always enjoy your insights to pond management and fishing, and I've gained a lot from your posts.

Thanks, for sharing your knowledge, experience, and friendly spirit......... Happy trails

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
HOOAH! Never met you sir but after reading these posts, I wish I could!

D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
George, EARLY Saturday morning I decided to go fling a fly. I got a big yellow popping bug and decided to target one of the bass that hunt when the feeder goes off. On the first cast a nice bass hit it and spit it out before I was ready. Nothing more happened. I'll try again but use one of the soft green concoctions that you gave me.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
George, I took my son Drake fishing today. He is five years old and catching fish by himself like a champ!

I'll be praying for your family during this time and am excited to hear about your faith in Jesus Christ. That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.(Romans 10:9)

Just want to say how much I Love you and look forward to casting lessons with you again someday at your backyard pond behind your mansion up in heaven!

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. (Matthew 11:28-29 NIV)

OP Offline
It is with the heaviest heart and fondest memories that I must inform you all that George's battle is over. He passed away peacefully surrounded by family and his Lord. George will live on in our memories and his deeds. He made a lot of footprints on this earth, and his efforts helped make it a better place.

George grew up in East Texas, He lived through the great depression and WW2, He was part of the biggest increase in technology the geologic sciences. George was there for the first 3D mappings of subterranean structures. He was also there for the first successful horizontal drilling efforts.

At 55 George "retired" and pursued his passions. George was able to go fishing over 200 days a year. George was an avid poster here and he was partially responsible for Hybrid Stripped Bass in our ponds, and OTS CNBG. George was also partially responsible for the introduction of Fly Fishing as a great way to fish ponds of all sizes. George would help anyone who asked.

George's greatest gifts were his passion, his hearty handshake, His indomitable smile, His love for his family, His friendship to us all, and his never ending drive to make us better.

I will miss George's passion for knowledge, his drive, and advise. I am proud to know him and I will miss him.

Brian

Try not to be THAT 10%
D
Lunker
Online Content
Lunker
D
At this time, I just don't have the words.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame 2014
Lunker
Go easy, george....

Excerpt from Robert Crais' "The Monkey's Raincoat:"
"She took another microscopic bite of her sandwich, then pushed it away. Maybe she absorbed nutrients from her surroundings."

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
He lived a great life and passed in peaceful dignity.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!
My prayers and sincere condolences go out to George's family and friends.

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
He will be greatly missed. RIP, George.

Thanks for all the updates during this time, Brian.

T
T
Sad to hear this but he is in a better place now.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/29/24 01:06 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails