Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,053
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
11 members (Layne, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, jludwig, Theo Gallus, jpsdad, Tinylake, catscratch, Brandon Larson, Dave Davidson1, Blestfarmpond), 631 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Last time I bought AquaMax it was just shy of $40 but I think I get a special deal from my supplier.

I can't let the cat out of the bag yet, but maybe, just maybe there will be food available all over the country at $45/bag delivered price......... wink

Bigger discounts will be available (due to shipping cost reductions) on 1/2 and full pallets.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: esshup
Last time I bought AquaMax it was just shy of $40 but I think I get a special deal from my supplier.

I can't let the cat out of the bag yet, but maybe, just maybe there will be food available all over the country at $45/bag delivered price......... wink

Bigger discounts will be available (due to shipping cost reductions) on 1/2 and full pallets.

That would be awesome Scott although I will probably purchase what I need for the rest of the year soon not counting the five indoor tanks.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

B
B
No where near the scale you guys are...but just as a comparison, no one near me sells AM. To start my pond off, I bought 5 lbs of AM 500 shipped to me for over $20. I did just find the same for $16, and 20 lbs for $41. I wish I could find it local for the prices you guys mentioned...though I think 50 lbs would go bad before I used it all.

I did have blue gill spit out AM 500 and swim away when I started feeding....but as they went through the natural forage in my small pond, they are more aggressive about eating it now.

What kind of a timeline are they looking at for the new feed? 20 lb bags would be great for my scale...if they are still figuring things out.

Sean

Last edited by Boburk; 08/30/15 10:21 AM.
Sean,
Of course the big sack is the way to go if you're going to order it and have it shipped to you. I use Trident Cargill 4512 in the 50lb sack. I buy 2-4 sacks at a time. I break it down into 5 gal buckets with sealing lids from Lowes. With the sealed lids, the feed will last much longer. Also, the mice and rats can't get to it where it is stored in the barn. I usually get ~3) 5 gal buckets of feed per 50lb sack. Maybe some helpful info....maybe not. But it'll save you some $$$.
stickem'

Last edited by stickem'; 08/30/15 07:09 PM.

...when in doubt...set the hook...
Originally Posted By: stickem'
Sean,
Of course the big sack is the way to go if you're going to order it and have it shipped to you. I use Trident Cargill 4512 in the 50lb sack. I buy 2-4 sacks at a time. I break it down into 5 gal buckets with sealing lids from Lowes. With the sealed lids, the feed will last much longer. Also, the mice and rats can't get to it where it is stored in the barn. I usually get ~3) 5 gal buckets of feed per 50lb sack. Maybe some helpful info....maybe not. But it'll save you some $$$.
stickem'

+1 FWIW We have two indoor cats. I store my feed in the yellow Tidy Cat pails the kitty litter comes in with the sealing lids. I use the same pails for fetilizer, road salt, grass seed, etc. They work great!

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
R
Also had horrible experience with lollipop updates. Was very pleased with samsung S5 on verizon until updated. Battery life cut to about quarter previous two days now half day, stuff loaded don't use don't want, dropped calls 10 in short time one day last week, and have lost over 3,000 contacts numerous times.

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
J
JKB Offline
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
Hall of Fame 2015
Lunker
J
Lolli-Poop was a bad one. That's all I have to say.

S
S
My Tab which I use for internet when traveling keeps trying to upgrade me. Since reading all the bad about it here on this thread have been hitting the back button when the upgrade comes up and it goes away for that session. Guess I will keep doing that till something better comes along.

I've avoided a bunch of other upgrades for programs that it wanted to do by going in and turning the updates off. From what I could gather most of the updates put into effect a lot of stuff I did not want with features I have no need for. Hope it does not cause me security problems by not upgrading, but I do not use 90% of what a lot of people consider desirable features.

Last edited by snrub; 08/31/15 10:21 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
B
B
Originally Posted By: stickem'
Sean,
stickem'
I read a study that said they tried four different feeds on caged bluegill and the AM 500 showed the best growth. That is why I am using it (that and I think rainman said to use AM 500 or 600).

What does a 50 lb bag of cargil cost with shipping?

Sean

S
S
Daughter just picked up some ordered through a local dealer several weeks ago. $39.50 for both AM500 and 600. 400 was quite a bit higher.

That seems high to me. Over $600 worth. Feeding fish aint cheap.

Last edited by snrub; 09/01/15 07:40 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Originally Posted By: Boburk
[quote=stickem']Sean,
stickem'
I read a study that said they tried four different feeds on caged bluegill and the AM 500 showed the best growth. That is why I am using it (that and I think rainman said to use AM 500 or 600).

What does a 50 lb bag cost?

Sean,
it's $39.00/50# sack. But, I've never had it shipped to me. I have always picked it up from Overtons...45% protein, 12% fat.
charlie

...when in doubt...set the hook...
Chairman, Pond Boss Legacy award; Moderator; field correspondent
Lunker
Lunker
Growth of fish is one measurement - very useful for hatcheries who are trying to maximize size in as short a time period possible. They are not concerned with longevity or health - they typically only hang onto age 0-1 fish. New feed becoming available renders not only outstanding growth, but also promotes longevity through healthier diet/feed. According to the experts I've read, Aqua Max fish develop fatty tissue on their organs, and as a result their lifespans are diminished. The newer feed addresses this with different nutrient, vitamin, and protein sources. Longer lived BG mean more opportunities to pursue these trophies! Those looking for a great BG feed should check it out!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

B
B
TJ,

Any idea when the new feed will be available?

We all have different goals and situations with our ponds. Mine went from dry to full pool (the fullest I have ever seen it) in a couple days with our drought busting rains in May. With our on again off again drought here, I really think I will only have a couple years before my pond is dry, or low enough to cause problems. It has been dropping MUCH faster than I expected. I think it is down 4-5 ft since May. I just want myself and mine and other peoples' kids to be able to have some fun out there fishing...and to get rid of the mosquitoes. So I am looking more for fast growth than longevity.

Sean

T
T
I will receive a pallet of Cargills 4512 today. last time the shipping cost added $3.00 per sk or about $42.00. But if I figure in my fuel and time to go and get it the price might be the same. My seed and feed guy gave me 3 sks of the Purina and the feed was twice the size of the cargils and it floated on the waters surface longer than cargills. Maybe the fish were slower to take to the Purina feed. And the Cargills seems to have more or faster sinking pellets than the Purina.
Or maybe the fish are more familiar of the Cargills. I like the higher protein in the cargills. After almost a yr of feeding, I am still not sure how much to feed because they will eat whatever I throw out in just seconds. Feeding to get fast growth in cnbg and larger cnbg is not cheap. But maybe, just maybe, I can get to where I want to be with the cblmb from Overton's.

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 09/02/15 07:35 AM. Reason: additions

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Boburk
TJ,

Any idea when the new feed will be available?

We all have different goals and situations with our ponds. Mine went from dry to full pool (the fullest I have ever seen it) in a couple days with our drought busting rains in May. With our on again off again drought here, I really think I will only have a couple years before my pond is dry, or low enough to cause problems. It has been dropping MUCH faster than I expected. I think it is down 4-5 ft since May. I just want myself and mine and other peoples' kids to be able to have some fun out there fishing...and to get rid of the mosquitoes. So I am looking more for fast growth than longevity.

Sean

Yo Boburk

The feed is available now...contact Scott Schillig [Esshup] for details - I think they can ship to your doorstep for $45 or so, but he'll know for sure. Sending you a PM.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Trying to find a price on boxes that won't break the bank.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Uline in Chicago has good prices but UPS or FedEx will gouge you on the shipping due to the dimensions of the flattened boxes even though there isn't much weight. Maybe if you were out that way you could pick them up?

http://www.uline.com/Cls_04/Boxes-Corrugated

I use them for various size boxes to ship my frozen fish.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 09/03/15 08:20 AM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.

Lunker
Lunker

Cardboard is not cheap. crazy

Hall of Fame
Lunker
OP Offline
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Originally Posted By: Shorty

Cardboard is not cheap. crazy

Shipping costs more than the boxes for me!

Lunker
Lunker
Shipping is not cheap either. cry

Lunker
Lunker
Esshup and TJ, I would be interested in trying out a bag this new stuff with my RES, let me know what you get worked out on box & freight.

Steve

N
Lunker
Lunker
N
Esshup and TJ, I would be interested in trying out a bag this new stuff with my RES, let me know what you get worked out on box & freight.

Steve

I second this. In fact, I'd be willing to run to Shorty's if shipped together (if he let's me!).

Just a Pond Boss 'sponge'
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
If a couple of guys would use a combined 20 bags, there's a way to ship 1/2 a pallet to one address relatively easily, and I think it might be cheaper than sending individual bags.....

Or 40 bags on a full pallet.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

Lunker
Lunker
Originally Posted By: NEDOC

Steve

I second this. In fact, I'd be willing to run to Shorty's if shipped together (if he let's me!).

One or two bags is all I would need, I have a little pond, both of us going to TJ's might work if we can get enough people to get at least a 1/2 pallet shipped.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
Scott, is it possible to run up and pick up some feed somewhere? Is there a brick and mortar "store"? Just planning ahead for next spring, and I had hoped to save shipping costs by purchasing all of my feed for the season at one time.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Rainman - 03/28/24 02:53 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by Mark Dyer - 03/27/24 10:18 PM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails
by Bill Cody - 03/27/24 10:18 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??