Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,071
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,411
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
17 members (Bob Lusk, LeighAnn, Shorthose, catscratch, Justin W, Requa, Freg, DenaTroyer, Blestfarmpond, Snipe, RAH, Rick O, bstone261, Theo Gallus, esshup, jpsdad, Bing), 775 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#402900 03/06/15 04:13 AM
K
OP Offline
K
I have a 1 acre pond half full (15 to 20 ft maximum depth) and ready to go after a couple more spring rains in NE Kansas. I took the time to provide adequate cover in multiple areas throughout the pond.

My goal is to have a nice LMB and bluegill pond. Something great for kids, but also with the potential for fairly big LMB in time. I understand the limitation with LMB with a 1 acre pond. But I also know from a lifetime of fishing farm ponds that it's possible.

I plan on doing one of the LMB packages from Dunn's fish farm. I have read many of the threads here and plan on getting a proper food chain going. But frankly, my head is spinning a little bit from all of the information. (Apologies in advance for adding yet another thread to the mix.)

My question really is this. Once the pond is established, is it really as simple as taking plenty of fish out? It seems as if the magic number for a 1 acre pond is taking 30 lbs of bass out a year?

My boys are crazy about fishing and I want to get this thing going fast but also doing it the right way in the process.

Thanks folks. This place is great.

S
S
Here was my experience with a fish truck that I purchased fish for my pond. I have had both good experiences and bad experiences. I will just say here, buyer beware.

Pay attention to what you are getting and verify. More than one new pond owner ruined their fishery in the beginning by introducing things they did not want nor knew they were getting.

I got some very good quality fish from Dunn't and some.............. well read the link if interested. Just be an informed buyer and check and make sure you are getting the quality fish you want.

Ye old fish truck

I'm only a couple years ahead of you and in SE Ks instead of NE. So I'm not an expert by any means.

But from what I have learned and read on here, build your forage base ahead of time, then introduce your predators. If you introduce predators at the same time as the forage fish, you may need to stock more forage. The experts will be along with more specific recommendations.

Just an FYI, there are fish suppliers based in Kansas. They are not as big nor as cheap as Dunn's, but if you were not aware of their existence, do a web search for "Kansas Aquaculture" or "Kansas Fish Farms" and you will find them. I have used Wallace fish farms (for my initial stocking, the fish truck experience came later) and Charles is a stand up guy with good quality stock that can deliver to your pond fresh. It will cost a little more than getting stock off of a fish truck from a much larger supplier though. Just an FYI, not making recommendations.

My new pond experience

Last edited by snrub; 03/06/15 08:56 AM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Congrats, Kid!

Personally, once a pond has started to mature, I usually suggest taking out more LMB pounds per acre...usually 50-75#. It may be more difficult with kids, but if you can get them acclimated to writing down some basic information on each catch, you will learn just what your individual pond needs to keep everything nicely sized and healthy.

A one acre pond is really a great size! Easier to manage, large enough to grow some lunkers, and if something does go wrong, not nearly as devastating to the bank account!

Originally Posted By: snrub
But from what I have learned and read on here, build your forage base ahead of time, then introduce your predators. If you introduce predators at the same time as the forage fish, you may need to stock more forage. The experts will be along with more specific recommendations.

+1^^^ Pay special attention to this advice!

I did not get my forage base established first and I feel my overall fishery, including the growth of my LMB (or lack thereof) has suffered because of it!

Go slow, take your time, be patient and keep reading and researching so you get it right the first time and it will offer many years of enjoyment and fewer of grief and/or $$$$!

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoy everything my pond has to offer, but how different things would/could be if I had it to do all over!

Best of luck to you, keep us posted and most importantly, enjoy the ride!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
Welcome and congrats on getting a new pond. If your goal truly is great high quality LMB then do as suggested above and be leery of fish farm packages to new pond owners. They are designed for general fishing not trophy fisheries. Stock your forage this spring. Forage can be mainly fatheads or a diversity of minnows & golden shiners and fingerling bgill, HBG and or yellow perch. All will grow well over the summer. Mixed panfish will be okay for a big bass pond. Plus mixed panfish are great for kids fishing. Big bass in your area are numerous 3-5 lbers; later a few maybe 6-7lb.

Feed the forage fish to grow more of them and bigger ones. Let them reproduce all spring summer and stock LMB in fall or next spring. Spring is often good to introduce bass IMO because it allows the forage base to grow a little larger fall-winter-early spring before the bass are added. Important - Often the premium pellet fed LMB are only available in fall. For some great angling and big fish also seriously consider adding 2 hybrid striped bass for every 10 LMB. You will love having a few HSB in the pond and you will likely want more once you know them.

If you really want a super LMB pond then insist on stocking pellet trained LMB. They can be 5"-7" as stockers or fingerlings (2"-4") both in the fall. Smaller than 3"-5" in the fall are likely not pellet trained; and pellet trained they should be 5"-7" if not raised over crowded & they were fed pellets all summer. Spend some effort getting quality pellet trained bass. These bass will grow bigger and faster plus you can monitor their numbers and sizes much better since they daily come and eat at the feeding area. Pellet feeding bass have multiple food sources which allows them to grow very fast and stay fat. Pellet fed LMB as 5"-7" stockers in fall and with overabundant forage fish can easily be 12"-15" one year later and 15"-18" after just 2 yrs! Impressive indeed.

Also I would not add 100 bass per acre as fish farms often suggest; again a plan for general fishing. Remember most fish farms will push you to buy fish and more fish. For growing bigger bass you always want an oversupply of forage fish which is the reason for annually removing smaller bass who eat a lot of smaller forage fish and prevent those small fish from growing to slightly larger sizes that then feed the larger bass. You won't have to remove small bass until the original bass have spawned and their successive generations of offspring grow to 5"-8" long.

Big bass don't grow much by eating 2"-3" fish. Initially stock fewer bass such as 65-80/ac. Others will have 2nd & 3rd opinions. Consider and reflect on all advice given. Even ask for more opinions here before finalizing your plan. If you are truly wanting a great LMB pond spend sometime reading the LMB growing posts in our Archives.
http://forums.pondboss.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=255372#Post255372

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/06/15 11:54 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
And a great book in the Pond Boss store, "Raising Trophy Bass"!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES
All great advice. The only thing I might add is to include some RES when you stock your panfish. They will help keep parasites out of the rest of your fish.

2011 five acre pond. LMB, SMB, HSB, SPB, BG, CNBG, HBG, RES, WM, CC, BCP, GC, FHM, GSH
B
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
B
RES are always a good idea to help with snail control and subsequent parasite infestations. One big topic the book "Raising Trophy Bass" does not discuss is the pellet trained bass philosophy, how to do it, the options, and pros and cons. However it is a very good book to have if you are interested in growing big bass.
http://www.pondboss.com/item.asp?id=10&r=store%2Easp%3Fp%3D2

Last edited by Bill Cody; 03/06/15 12:01 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management
A
A
Kid, I'd like to reinforce the warning about being SURE you are getting fish from a quality source...

Years ago I was looking to buy a section of land on a development in NE Texas. Seemed perfect, with a large pond already stocked with LMB, CC, and BG. Just sign on the dotted line!

But I decided to check further, so had an electric fish survey done. Cost a lot, but saved far more when the results came back.

The lake was full of bullhead, not CC. Either the fish stocker didn't know the difference, or didn't care. The developer trusted the stocker and was unaware that he paid for something he didn't get.

Moral of the story: It's worth taking some extra time and money to be sure you get the right fish. Don't deal with anyone who doesn't have a sterling reputation, and be there when the fish arrive to make sure they are in good health and are what you want.

PS I'd say the same about the dirt guy, too: Turns out the development lake, which was supposed to have nothing less than four feet of water, actually had a big bay that was half that depth. Unfishable most of the year due to weeds.

Last edited by anthropic; 03/06/15 11:38 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

K
OP Offline
K
I can't thank you guys enough for the great responses. My 11 year old is eating this up and has bought into holding off on stocking bass for a year.

-Hearing dad say it is one thing, reading the folks at Pond Boss is another haha!!!

So I am taking the fish truck warnings very seriously. Frankly, I had no idea there was a difference between a place like Dunns vs. other farms.

Someone suggested Wallace fish farm in Allen. I will definitely give them a look if they will come up my way. If you consider Kansas City my home base, are there any other suggestions out there worth looking at? Raccoon Valley in Missouri looks local?

Also, any suggestions for the forage base? I plan on loading it with fatheads and RES. Any experience or suggestions for the type of bluegill or other panfish/kidfish to go with?

Last edited by kidsampson; 03/10/15 01:34 AM.
Wallace will definitely come your way. When he delivered my HSB, the next day he was headed to Utah. Real good guy too. As far as forage fish, you may want to check out GSH. Some like them, some don't.

2011 five acre pond. LMB, SMB, HSB, SPB, BG, CNBG, HBG, RES, WM, CC, BCP, GC, FHM, GSH
K
OP Offline
K
Update to an older thread-

I stocked my 1 acre pond with a mix of 500 CNB and shell crackers. (Thanks for tip on Wallace fish farm.) And 15 lbs of FHM.

The question- Stock LMB this fall or hold off until a spring??? I've read mixed reviews and i know there is somewhat of a sweet spot from letting bluegill get too much of a head start vs starting bass too early.

It sounds like I should entertain stocking between 60 to 100 LMB but also would take additional tips here.

Thanks!

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Hey Kid,

I also have a 1 acre pond, Course mine was not new when I got it but your going about it the right way! If it were me I would wait till spring to put in the LMB. I know you want to get going, but trust me there will be plenty to eat for them in the spring!

Plus come winter in Kansas things are all going to slow down anyway as far as eating is concerned and breeding. So I would wait!

I would NOT stock 100 lmb in your pond! Most folks would say in a 1 acre pond you can handle about 50 pounds of predator fish maybe 100 if you have air and you feed. So figure that out.

If you want your bass to get to at least 2 pounds well there you go. 50 bass times 2 is 100. It won't take long for you to be pushing that limit!

Oh and then if they have a successful spawn then there you go now your got who knows how many bass!

This happened to me this last spring as I now have LMB from 8 inches to 18 inches.... one would think that's a good thing but in a 1 acre pond it can get you off balance in a hurry!! So at any rate I wouldn't go more then 50 lmb. That's just me though and I am no expert by any means but do have a little experience in 1 acre ponds with CNB , RES and LMB! smile

RC

Last edited by RC51; 09/02/15 07:43 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
O
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
O
I would hold off on stocking the LMB till spring as well. I don't think you gain much by introducing them right before winter.

R
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Hall of Fame
Lunker
R
Kid, I HOPE Coppernose BG will do okay in your pond, but I am pretty sure they will not. frown Arkansas sourced Coppernose BG are intergrade's barely surviving in Arkansas winters and will rarely make it through a winter further north.

CNBG are not able to handle much time under ice before swimming belly up. Northern (Straight) Bluegill can handle the cold.

If you are still wanting to grow larger LMB, AND want to stock LMB still this fall, You could add another 20# of FHM,15-25# of brooder Golden Shiners, another 1000 3-4" NORTHERN BG and no more than 60 4-6" LMB.

If wanting to wait till spring for stocking your LMB, I would still add 1000 3-4" northern BG this fall, and if wanting more LMB to catch, but with lower eventual overall adult weights, go with 100 3-4" LMB next spring.

You're good on the RES.

Last edited by Rainman; 09/02/15 09:21 AM.

Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Yeah RM I never thought about that on the CNBG being to far north? He is pushing it I bet! Mine do ok in North Arkansas but if I get ice on my pond it's only for a couple of days then it's gone and our winter temps average around 35 to 40 most of the winter. Good point!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 09:42 AM
Alum vs Bentonite/Lathanum for Phosphorus Removal?
by DenaTroyer - 03/28/24 09:38 AM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by esshup - 03/28/24 08:36 AM
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by Justin W - 03/28/24 08:19 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by FishinRod - 03/28/24 08:18 AM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails