Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,899
Posts557,058
Members18,451
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,407
ewest 21,474
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,110
Who's Online Now
16 members (emactxag, Ron crismon, jpsdad, Dave Davidson1, Saratznj, Donatello, Layne, Freg, Sunil, tws3, rjackson, jludwig, Shorthose, DenaTroyer, Theo Gallus, Tinylake), 656 guests, and 181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
FINnFUR Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Been gathering things for aeration and getting closer. Have twin Vertex.
Made a stand out of retired plastic milk crate and 3/4 PVC sticking out oabout 30" four ways to keep it upright.
All complete the diffuser will be 18" off pond bottom.
Is that a good height ?

POnd info at bottom link Thanks

F
FINnFUR Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Heres a pic

Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
Ambassador
Field Correspondent
Lunker
I haven't found a good reason to have the diffusers higher off the bottom than the height that they are located at from the mfg's. The only reason is what was stated in the winter aeration article in the Jan/Feb 2015 PB magazine, and if you look at the picture in the article, you can see how that was accomplished.

I think having the diffusers higher off of the bottom during the summer could catch on fishing line and give fish a chance to escape.

Even in ponds with a considerable muck build-up, once the diffusers are running for a while I haven't seen continuing turbidity issues.

What do you plan on using to pull them up to clean them?

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).
F
FINnFUR Offline OP
OP Offline
F
It has a harness on the back you may be able to see. Its attached to the diffuser box at two holes provided.
This will be between two pipe stacks pictured in link.
I can eliminate the milk crate and just use the pvc to help stabilize lowering in place .
I plan on a line with decoy at surface..

D
D
Ours are about 12"s off the bottom.

These bucket bottoms got filled with concrete. To clean them up I just pull them up from the bottom with the weighted hose. to put them back down I just pull them out to where I want them and drop them.

Cheers Don.

Attached Images
IMG_0277.JPG IMG_0279.JPG

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
F
FINnFUR Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Are we saying there is no downside to the height nor advantage. ?

D
D
My thoughts of putting it as low as I could with out pulling up clay from the bottom was to move as much water from the bottom as I could. Weather that is correct or not I do not know but I have not had any problems yet.

Cleaning consists of me floating with a life jacket on following our the line then hand rubbing the disk with my fingernails. There gets to be some crusty thing that trys to close over the holes.

Cheers Don.

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
My fusers are about 6 inches off the bottom but I have them on a large square plate from the side of a computer. So I don't have any muck or mud trying to come up with the bubbles in the center because the plate is like 2x2. If that makes since.... I think the problem with air and muddy water comes from when you have your fusers on something that has a hole in the middle of it that lets the muck and dirt come up into the air bubbles. Like say using a tire for example. It holds the fusers good and if you have a strong enough pull from your fusers it could pull muck and mud from underneath it. Hence the reason you need to put it up a bit higher then. I would say minimum 12 inches if your going that route max 18 inches. You should be fine.

RC

Last edited by RC51; 08/28/15 10:17 AM.

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
Fin sorry I did not see your pic till just now. That looks good man!! I don't think you will have a problem with that.

I think you need your fusers as low as you can get them for better upwelling of your water to the surface? I may be wrong on that so if I am someone please correct me.

But height of your fusers is kinda relative to your depth of water? My pond is only 8 to 9 feet deep so I wanted them as low as possible.

If I had 20 foot depth then I would not be quite as worried about my fuser being 2 feet off the bottom...

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
Having a very old pond with heavy muck build-up, I was most curious after setting them in May, 2012 how deep in the muck they might be when I went out to clean them as I set them directly on the pond bottom.

This is a picture of a Vertex air station of which I have 4 (3 shallow, 1 deep):

The very, very soft muck near and around the air station was at least a foot thick but the air station had not sunk into it, with the disks still well above the muck (as well as the platform). And that's after 3+ years of being undisturbed.

So as I too was curious if I was stirring things up, I am happy to report they are where I personally would like them to be due to the make-up of my pond. Low enough to circulate as much water as possible, but not too low as to be pulling up the muck.

Keith

PS - As a disclaimer, I have no idea what the surroundings of the air station actually "looked" like, for instance if I was able to view the contour of the pond bottom where the air station is from a distance. But that would be interesting!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Bob Lusk, GaryK, GrizzFan, PhotographerDave
Recent Posts
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by Dave Davidson1 - 03/28/24 07:52 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/28/24 07:40 AM
Brooder Shiners and Fry, What to do??
by Freg - 03/28/24 07:28 AM
Reducing fish biomass
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:17 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:05 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/27/24 06:02 PM
Questions and Feedback on SMB
by Donatello - 03/27/24 03:10 PM
Paper-shell crayfish and Japanese snails