Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Shotgun01, Dan H, Stipker, LunkerHunt23, Jeanjules
18,451 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,902
Posts557,119
Members18,452
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,420
ewest 21,475
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,112
Who's Online Now
5 members (Fishingadventure, RogersTailgate, jpsdad, anthropic, Brev), 714 guests, and 197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
nathad Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Evening guys, I've just completed my ~3/4 to ~ 1 acre sized pond. It is currently about 10-12' deep and will top out somewhere around 15' deep.

I would like to use the pond for recreational fishing and swimming so preferably no fish that want to attack me or the kids would be nice. smile

I'd like the pond to be as low maintenance as possible, and I think I would like to have bass and maybe some tilapia as temperatures allow.

I've read a decent amount from all you guys but putting it all together in a plan is a little more difficult. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
One person's attack is another's nibble. grin

Still, small bluegills will nip at idle swimmers. I don't find it a problem, but understand that some might not feel the same. If you're talking largemouth bass, well, bluegills are the backbone of their food chain. Are you considering the tilapia strictly for algae control, a food source, or both?

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
S
S
I've not found BG to be much of a problem with biting. That is swimming off a dock. Yes, if you are still in the water a while they will take a nip or two. Wear a shirt and avoid skinny dipping. It is mostly the smaller fish that seem to do it.

One potential problem with BG that I have not had but could be a problem is if you make a shallow, sandy beach type area for small children. I can see how adult BG would determine that it would also be a perfect substrate to create nests. A 10" male BG on a nest defending it might give a small child a nip that would discourage them from entering the water again. So I can see that as a potential problem.

I actually kind of think it is cool having the fish that close in contact with me. But the more squeamish might not appreciate it.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
N
nathad Offline OP
OP Offline
N
The tilapia addition thought was for algae control and for a supplemental food source for the bass and some for us.

My concern about the nipping fish is that I have a 2 and 4 year old that could be easily deterred from playing in the water at all if they get spooked by the fish. My brother in law has a 1/4 acre pond with what I believe is HBG and LMB and he nearly got "de-nippled" in his words while trying to take a swim. &#128513;

Are there any other good options that would take the nippers out of the equation. I am not dead set on the LMB if another food chain would work better.

Just looking for tasty fish and good swimming for kids and also something a little bit fun to catch.

T
T
nathad, I added just 5 lbs of tilapia In early April. That came to about 25 4 to 6" fish. I added lmb fingerlings in June. The tilapia are now everywhere in the 3.5 acre pond. Some look to be maybe 10 to 12" in size. they are very reproductive. learning from what I have seen @ my place, I would not add them with out predators like lmb. They will take over , especially if u plan on feeding.

Tracy

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
N
nathad Offline OP
OP Offline
N
I really don't think Tilapia will survive the winter where I am located, but I would happily include the LMB to help control their population if needed.

I really prefer to have some type of predator fish, I just prefer not to have to stock with swimming pests if possible.

Again I am starting with zero fish and can go whichever direction my climate, habitat, time, and pocket book can support.

So what would you do if you wanted fun fishing and swimming with close to zero chance of getting nipped/nibbled/bit?

We have a fish truck in the area next week and if I can figure out the path forward I'd like to get started stocking assuming they have what we determine I need.

A lot easier to get the right stuff in than take the wrong stuff back out I figure.

C
CMM Offline
C
How about pellet trained fish, like channel cat (cc) and / or hsb ( hybrid striped bass)? The need for potential nippers as forage would decrease if you pellet fed, you can put and take as you need or want. Although, if you release a cc after catching it, word is, you may never catch it again&#128558;. Oh, you would need to hand feed daily or get a feeder if you went that route.

Cmm

CMM

N
nathad Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Id like to avoid feeding as much as possible, but it's sounding like I either have to get fish that need to be fed or get fish that will feed on my swimmers.

Are either of the bream species less likely to bite?

Also, I had planned to stay away from cats at least initially to keep water as clear as possible.

T
T
I forgot to mention that the Tilapia will die off most likely in November @ my place. The pond is also heavily stocked with cnbg and res and I do get bitten every once in a while when swimming. but it is more of a shock when they bite, there is no pain at all. So I would not worry about it. I have kids swim in the pond with no problems at all. I just have to keep an eye out for any gators that might someday might show up smile

Tracy

Tracy
A
Online Content
A
Of course, if trespassers like to swim at night at your place, gators might be a plus.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160

S
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
S
I don't recall ever being bitten by a RES, at least not that I'm aware of. But, they will likely not provide enough forage on their own for a population of hungry LMB. I wonder if the combination of RES and Tilapia would enable year-round support of the LMB? One forage during the warmer months, another for the colder periods.

If you're willing to feed, you might try RES and HSB together. If the RES get carried away, you could add a few single sex LMB to thin them out.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.
K
Lunker
Lunker
K
What about minnows and smallmouth? Smallmouth forage very well on smaller items. I haven't ever heard of problems with smallmouth and swimmers. Smallmouth do great in colder temps, work well with just a minnow base.

opinions?

13 acres,
5 ponds 1 still working
FHM, Shiners, CC, SMB, WE, Yellow Perch
living the dream

Can't have everything...where would you put it?
N
nathad Offline OP
OP Offline
N
Would you have to constantly add more minnows in that setup?

D
Lunker
Lunker
D
No, they are talking about buying pounds, not dozens of minnows. Many of us stock fathead minnows quite a while prior to the stocking of predators. This gives them time to reproduce and creates a food base for small fish when they are stocked.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Will fatheads really persist enough even if allowed to establish first once predators are introduced? I got the impression they are pretty slow moving and kind of swimming meals for larger fish.

Last edited by dyrne; 09/01/15 10:26 AM.
T
T
Originally Posted By: dyrne
Will fatheads really persist enough even if allowed to establish first once predators are introduced? I got the impression they are pretty slow moving and kind of swimming meals for larger fish.

I am no pond expert like many here, but I can tell you of my pond. I added 90 lbs of FHM's starting back in November and another 30 lbs in February. I had no lmb just CNBG and RES. The FHM's spawned many times to where there were thousands of them in the pond. I stocked CBLMB 2" fingerlings the first week of June and today will see maybe a couple of hundred at the feeders. Out of thousands to 200, that's a lot of missing fat heads. The growing rate on the CBLMB (provided by Overton's fishery) is said to be maybe 3 lbs+ per yr providing the proper food is available to them. I think I might have some in the pond this winter but they will be gone by any new lmb fry next spring.

Last edited by TGW1; 09/01/15 10:48 AM. Reason: sp

Tracy

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
cro, HC1968
Recent Posts
Dewatering bags seeded to form berms?
by RogersTailgate - 03/29/24 05:45 AM
Relative weight charts in Excel ? Calculations?
by jpsdad - 03/29/24 05:43 AM
pond experience needed
by esshup - 03/29/24 12:45 AM
New pond middle TN: establishing food chain?
by Bill Cody - 03/28/24 07:57 PM
Happy Birthday Bob Lusk!!
by FireIsHot - 03/28/24 07:33 PM
Working on a .5acre disaster, I mean pond.
by PRCS - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Fungus infection on fish
by nvcdl - 03/28/24 06:07 PM
Can anyone ID these minnows?
by Dylanfrely - 03/28/24 05:43 PM
1 year after stocking question
by esshup - 03/28/24 04:48 PM
Yellow Perch Spawn 2024
by H20fwler - 03/28/24 04:29 PM
New 2 acre pond stocking plan
by LANGSTER - 03/28/24 03:49 PM
Newly Uploaded Images