Pond Boss Magazine
https://www.pondboss.com/images/userfiles/image/20130301193901_6_150by50orangewhyshouldsubscribejpeg.jpg
Advertisment
Newest Members
Amhano8r, shores41, MidwestCass, Bucyrus22B, Steve Clubb
18,485 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums36
Topics40,948
Posts557,808
Members18,485
Most Online3,612
Jan 10th, 2023
Top Posters
esshup 28,512
ewest 21,490
Cecil Baird1 20,043
Bill Cody 15,141
Who's Online Now
11 members (BCR Pond, Terry Battisti, Donatello, Amhano8r, GunBoss, Justin W, Fishingadventure, FishinRod, Sunil, shores41, teehjaeh57), 1,257 guests, and 226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Ambassador
Lunker
Ambassador
Lunker
I knew I had them but did know how many until I took a spot light out one night and walked the shore!! OMG!! I had frogs everywhere man! Little ones, big ones medium, Bull's and some other types.... Its amazing how close you can get to them with the light. I have not done it yet but sometime I want to catch about 6 or 7 of them and go fishing with them just to see what happens... I would think the bass would love an early morning medium sized frog for breakfast!!

RC

The only difference between a rut and a Grave is the depth. So get up get out of that rut and get moving!! Time to work!!
S
S
Isn't night around the pond an amazing thing??? I don't do it as much as I should or would like to (not the energy reserves I had 30 years ago - I get tired when night comes). But every time I do, always end up spending more time than planned.

Got up one night at 3 am because could not sleep. Went around the pond and saw all kinds of neat stuff. Frogs, toads mating, snake eating a frog, fish asleep in shallow water (picked up a small BG by hand), crawfish in shallow water................ goes on and on.

For those that have not done it, take a light, wear rubber boots, and visit your pond at night. Take bug spray.

Last edited by snrub; 08/14/15 02:24 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine
Originally Posted By: TGW1
yesterday @ the pond I was seeing something come up to the surface and take a breath and then dive straight back towards the bottom of the pond. This was taking place in 6 foot or deeper water. My first thoughts were the fish were piping for air, but I watched more closely and discovered they were big tadpoles, about 3" in length and over an inch around in size. It would happen so fast it was hard to take a good look. I am pretty sure they were bull frog tadpoles and if so, I will have a lot of bull frogs. has anyone else ever seen this, it was first for me.

Tracy

I saw this for the first time 2 weeks ago...in my big pond I had what looked like a swarm/school of something almost churning the water about 3 feet off the bank. I finally got close enough to see that it was dozens of bullfrog tadpoles 'breaching' for lack of a better word, over and over again. No clue what the purpose was, I assume eating something? It was really cool to watch though.

Dale

[Linked Image from i90.photobucket.com]

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water." - anonymous
Lunker
Lunker
My wife watched a heron fly off with the biggest BF in the pond this afternoon, at least it wasn't one of my SMB.

J
J
Two years ago I had so many tadpoles coming to the top of the water and diving to the bottom that it looked like rain drops all over the pond. I haven't seen nearly that kind of action since. I do have lots of frogs because I have a very vegetated pond. I thought the reason for this might be that the tadpoles were close to changing into frogs and so they were going from getting their oxygen from water to oxygen from the air.

T
T
Originally Posted By: John Monroe
Two years ago I had so many tadpoles coming to the top of the water and diving to the bottom that it looked like rain drops all over the pond. I haven't seen nearly that kind of action since. I do have lots of frogs because I have a very vegetated pond. I thought the reason for this might be that the tadpoles were close to changing into frogs and so they were going from getting their oxygen from water to oxygen from the air.

My pond looks like this today all around the edges.....I have never seen anything like it. Thought for a second it was rain drops.

T
T
Originally Posted By: Tbar
Originally Posted By: John Monroe

My pond looks like this today all around the edges.....I have never seen anything like it. Thought for a second it was rain drops.

For those that may not seen it before here are bull frog tadpoles popping the surface.

T
T
if all of the air gulping tadpoles is see, make it to bull frogs, I will have a really good place to capture bull frog legs. Lots and lots of them. smile

Tracy

Last edited by TGW1; 08/28/15 08:08 AM. Reason: sp

Do not judge me by the politicians in my City, State or Federal Government.

Tracy
T
T
Originally Posted By: Zep
Flame..about 3 months ago I bought some adult size bullfrogs at a local Asian market. They were pretty large...so I would think some of them must have survived. I have yet to spend the night at the property but I hope to hear them when I do spend my first night out there later this summer. Adult size bullfrogs are relatively hard to source and can be pricey online, but the Asian market in Plano, Texas carries some really nice large live bullfrogs...I can't remember the exact price but they weren't much.

ps: Of course worse case scenario the frogs being they are from an Asian store who knows if they are local...they could be from Thailand and be super invasive and take over my entire property and even eat the donkeys and everything else in sight! (lol)

Zep do you remember the name of the market? I found 3 in Plano and went to Jusgo. They had them for 6.99 a pound. Not the best quality as some had red noses. They also were not trying to get out like the bullfrogs I caught earlier this year. I ended up getting 6 massive ones. Next to the frogs they had soft shell turtles but they looked in poor shape. I picked out the best of the soft shells which were kinda high at 15.99 a pound. I felt sorry for the soft shells. They also had live Catfish (Some good size ones), Tilapia, Carp/Koi, Large Mouth Bass, Crawfish which you can't get live at a regular supermarket because they are out of season. Going to go check out the other 2 places for Bulfrogs and Turtles.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Today's Birthdays
Froggy Joe
Recent Posts
Can anybody help me identify these?
by Amhano8r - 04/19/24 02:45 PM
Major Fail
by Donatello - 04/19/24 01:48 PM
Muddy pond
by shores41 - 04/19/24 01:37 PM
'Nother New Guy